Old 12-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Jim Lewis

On 12 Dec 2004 at 3:29, Vicky Estrella wrote:

In a message dated 12/11/2004 8:55:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

In colder areas
the Chinese Elms will be deciduous (lose their leaves in winter) but in
warmer
areas, such as Florida some will hold their leaves all year.

I'm glad you raised that point. I live in Southern California, and I have
some elms, as well as liquidambar, that will do just that. Many books state that
they need the cold, and a dormant period to rest, and one should defoliate if
they do not drop by late autumn. On the few occassions that I have removed
leaves, they come right back. At any rate, the trees do just fine without this
dormant period.
Do you think that perhaps these warm climate elms have adapted and no longer
require the dormant period? What is the prevailing wisdom?
Thanks,
Vicky

My opinion -- I doubt anyone has done (or will do) any
controlled studies on this:

I don't know that we have a long enough history to know. Elms,
as a Genus, are deciduous trees. Chinese elm is hardy between
zone 4-9 (and probably 10). Their leaves are "persistent" and
tend to linger on the tree longer than other species. It gets
pretty cold in zone 4, and from what I read and from what people
tell me, the elms lose their leaves in early to mid fall
(Octoberish) up there.

Down here (zone 8), elms in the ground may have leaves all year
long, but the trees are certainly thinner (more sparsely leafed)
by January and February, and some will be almost bare. Elms in
pots (at least MY elms in pots, which get absolutely no winter
protection) usually are bare by January, when the average daily
temperature here is in the upper 40s, and a.m. lows are in the
upper freezing zones.

In the ground, southern (zone 8 & up) Chinese elms probably
never lose their leaves all at once, but do it in bits and drabs
all year, but more heavily in the colder months (and more
importantly, those months with shorter days).

I doubt that American bonsaiests have enough experience (time)
with these trees in pots to know. Nor do they have any idea of
the genetic background of a tree they have in their possession --
whether it is one with genes adapted to colder climes, or one
that always came from the south. "Adaptation" (especially in
trees) isn't likely to be something that happens in the lifetime
of a human animal.

I'd be willing to bet, however, that a Chinese elm that spends
its life indoors will NOT live as long as one that lives outside
for all (or most) of the year and gets at least a touch of
cooler weather.

FWIW

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Iris Cohen

I am reminded of the Israeli apples, Enshimer (?) and Anna.

The Israeli apple cultivars, like Ein Shemer (sic) and their descendants, still
require something of a dormant period. I have never heard of any apples that
grow in a tropical area, like southern Florida. The achievement of Ein Shemer
is that it requires fewer chilling hours during the winter in order to bloom
and set fruit. It was developed for northern Israel, & is very successful in
our southern states.
The following explanation refers to peach trees, but the principle is the same
for apples & other hardy fruit trees.
Peach trees are deciduous and drop their leaves in the Fall and go into a
developmental state known as dormancy. As the winter progresses the trees go
into another state known as rest, during which they cannot grow even if
environmental conditions are favorable for tree growth. Exposure to chilling
temperatures is necessary to overcome this period of rest, after which normal
bud break and growth can begin once growing conditions are favorable. The
minimal necessary duration of chilling length for any particular variety is
known as the chilling requirement for that variety. Temperatures effective in
satisfying the chilling requirement normally range from 32 F to 50 F, with the
optimal temperature being approximately 45 F.

Do you think that perhaps these warm climate elms have adapted and no
longer require the dormant period?

I would like to know if temperate trees in southern California are capable of
blooming & fruiting. It is not an issue with elms & sweetgum, but what about
bonsai crabapple?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Old 12-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Robert Seele

I read some place, that apples grew in the garden of eden !!! (-;

On Sunday, December 12, 2004, at 08:00 AM, Iris Cohen wrote:

I have never heard of any apples that
grow in a tropical area, like southern Florida.

Bob Seele
Nicely outside of Chicago
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler :
Albert Einstein

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++