Old 19-05-2006, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Default Ever seen a rabbit do this?

So there I was, thinking I was in good shape with my new fence around the
garden. It's 6' tall and graduated mesh starting small at the bottom and
getting bigger as it goes up. I looked in the garden and saw a rabbit which
had me wondering how in the heck it got in. I watched a while, and it went
to the fence, stood on it's hind legs and put it's front legs on the wire.
The rabbit then proceeded to climb about a foot and a half or so higher and
exit through the mesh where it was larger. I honestly had never seen or
heard of a rabbit climbing a fence, and it took me totally by surprise.
Has anyone else seen this happen?
Ken.
Who sadly is planning to either trap and re-locate the rabbits, or if worse
goes to worse will give them lead poisoning. I really don't want to do that.
When I was younger it didn't bother me, but now I just don't want to kill
anything.

All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
shores of beautiful Puget Sound.

Old 19-05-2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Puckdropper

"Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote in
:

So there I was, thinking I was in good shape with my new fence around
the garden. It's 6' tall and graduated mesh starting small at the
bottom and getting bigger as it goes up. I looked in the garden and
saw a rabbit which had me wondering how in the heck it got in. I
watched a while, and it went to the fence, stood on it's hind legs and
put it's front legs on the wire. The rabbit then proceeded to climb
about a foot and a half or so higher and exit through the mesh where
it was larger. I honestly had never seen or heard of a rabbit climbing
a fence, and it took me totally by surprise. Has anyone else seen this
happen? Ken.

*trim*

Why not get some screen and put that on the fence? It won't be as
transparent, but it'll still look ok and keep the rabbits out.

Smart Rabbit. Gotta tip your hat, then come up with something better.
;-)

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Old 19-05-2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Salmon Egg wrote:

On 5/18/06 9:54 PM, in article ,
"Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote:

Who sadly is planning to either trap and re-locate the rabbits, or if worse
goes to worse will give them lead poisoning. I really don't want to do that.
When I was younger it didn't bother me, but now I just don't want to kill
anything.

Unless you eat only fruits, you are killing plants such as lettuce when you
eat them. I am not a PETA person, but why are plants any less alive than
animals?

Speaking of PETA, do PETA people think that it is ok to eat animals that
died of old age?

I'd like to know if the PETA people take the pill (contains lactose). Do
any have diabetes and can't tolerate synthetic insulin and have to take
animal insulin. Do they have thyroid disease and have to take
Armour...which is dessicated pig thyroid. Do they take any of the
hundreds or thousands of drugs that contain animal by-products? Not
everything has a synthetic alternative.

PETA is nothing but another religion trying to shove their beliefs down
other people's throats. It's unrealistic to think our society can afford
to live only on vegetable matter. When a senior on a fixed income has a
choice between a $3 head of lettuce and a $3 rump roast that provides 4
meals...which choice will they make.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

D'accord!

..

Old 19-05-2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

[...]

That's one smart rabbit! I know where you are coming from. We have a
healthy wild rabbit population and I don't like the idea of fencing.
Mothballs scattered around the perimeter of the garden help keep them
out of your garden. If you can't tolerate the smell of mothballs a
motion activated sprayer is a great deterrant. CritterRidder is a
product you can use that lasts 30 days even in rain and it has no smell.
A cheaper solution is a cayenne pepper/powdered pepper mix but I don't
like to use that because it does harm the animal. Check for and remove
other souces of food such as bird feeders. I have 3 bird feeders, one
filled with a corn mix. The starlings discovered it so there was a mess
under the feeder. I didn't think much about it until I had to chase 2
wild rabbits out from under it. Obviously they like corn! I
temporarily changed the seed to niger seed to discourage the starlings
and rabbits. So far that approach has works but niger seed is expensive
so I'm going to try safflower seed. Another trick is to remove hiding
spots like wood piles. Traps are surprisingly ineffective for rabbits
according to our pest removal service. The reason they are ineffective
is the rabbit sees no need to go into the trap when surrounded by a
vegetable buffet A cat is rather effective as are some dogs but that
won't be much help if you don't want a pet. I have raised beds so tried
a 2' high temporay fencing of chicken wire around one bed. It has
been very effective. I don't like the looks of it though so I'm using
methods mentioned above. DH thinks a pellet gun would be effective as
well except I'd likely take out every neighbour and windows for miles
around while the rabbits sat there laughing at me so that isn't an option.

BTW, I know we have a lot of rabbits. We got a late snow and the yard
and gardens were covered with rabbit prints. I posted a picture on my
websites below.

Garden Gnome

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
Old 19-05-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kenneth D. Schillinger

*trim*

Why not get some screen and put that on the fence? It won't be as
transparent, but it'll still look ok and keep the rabbits out.

Smart Rabbit. Gotta tip your hat, then come up with something better.
;-)

Puckdropper

Ken Replies:
Your suggestion is the first one I thought of. I just don't care for the
idea of buying 540 feet of fencing at this time, as it has gotten rather
expensive. I am also thinking that it would not be terribly attractive to
have another layer of fencing laid on top of the other fencing material.
Ken.

Old 19-05-2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Garden Gnome Said:

[...]

Ken Replied:

I probably should have mentioned in my original post, that the garden is 70'
X 200', so measures such as pepper or more fencing will require a good deal
of material, hence a good deal of expense.
More than anything, this post was sharing my amazement at how clever the
critters are getting!
Take Care All, Ken.

Old 19-05-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
[...]

Get a roll of aluminum roof flashing.
It's cheap.

Wrap it around the base of the fence about 1 ft. up.
That will stop him from climbing.

BTW, wild rabbit is delicious. ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 19-05-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
pyramid

You might get a low-voltage electric fence. Many pet supply stores have
them. They are inexpensive and work very well.

I joined the *other* PETA.......People Eating Tasty Animals. mmmmmm
braised wabbit.

Old 19-05-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
D.Reid

Actually that is an excellent suggestion. They are high current but very low
D.C. voltage and the existing fence could be charged. You might feel a good
"tingle" but a small animal would get the stew knocked out of him. Probably
not lethal but he would remember not to scale *that* fence again looking for
a free meal!
Dave...Down in Florida

Old 20-05-2006, 10:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Puckdropper

"Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote in
:

Ken Replies:
Your suggestion is the first one I thought of. I just don't care for
the idea of buying 540 feet of fencing at this time, as it has gotten
rather expensive. I am also thinking that it would not be terribly
attractive to have another layer of fencing laid on top of the other
fencing material. Ken.

Sure, but management can come to an agreement $$$ with the roof tops and
get rid of the "wind screen." Oh, sorry... not your situation. (For you
non-Cubs fans, I'm referring to management's boneheaded decision a few
years ago to make more money.)

Puckdropper

Old 20-05-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AndyS

Andy comments:

My neighbor had a big problem with wild pigs going into his
yard and night and ripping up the sod as they hunted for
grubs and whatever the hell else wild pigs rip up sod for....

His solution was to put up an electric fence wire about a
foot off the ground. It was purchased at a local farm supply
store... Typically they administer a high voltage shock which
is very very short at a rate of 3 to 5 shocks per second. It
is very annoying but not dangerous. You can test it by
touching it and savoring the unpleasantness, but it can't
hurt you because the shocks are so short. It is normally
used for horses and cattle...

Anyway, it solved his problem.... After 2 months, he took
it down, and the pigs haven't come back..... I suppose the
word got around in the wild pig world --- pigs learn very
fast.....

I don't know if it would work for rabbits, but I suspect that
if it were positioned properly , it might......

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( If you spread corn in your back yard so the wild
pigs will rototill your garden for you, you might
live in Eureka, Texas )

Old 21-05-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Do you mean "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals?"

"If God didn't want us to eat animals why did He make 'em out of meat?"

I attribute both the above to anonymous others. I found 'em both on
the internet.

Old 21-05-2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Here's the deal Andy:
I have thought about using an electric fencer; I just can't find either of
the two I have here somewhere. We used to have cattle and horses which we
used them for. I never thought about using one for rabbits as I don't know
if it will be effective or not. The main thing I was originally trying to
point out was my sense of incredulity that a rabbit could or would perform a
fence climbing maneuver.
Ken.

--
All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
shores of beautiful Puget Sound.
"AndyS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Andy comments:

if you plan to eat the little rascal, you should use google
with the keywords " rabbit fever ". You will find how to avoid
getting this undesireable disease and how to check the
rabbits innards to see if it is diseased. It's probably OK
anyway, but you should understand the one or two diseases
that you can get from wild stock so you can be sure you're
safe ( rabbit fever and rabies )....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( If you have more owls in your yard than dogs, and
all the cats have disappeared, you might live in
Eureka, Texas )