Old 15-04-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Disappearing Bees

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants
suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature
workers. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly
far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally
raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go
anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all
American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of
its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East
Coast.

Old 15-04-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Johnny wrote:
Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants
suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature
workers. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly
far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally
raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go
anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all
American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of
its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East
Coast.

I just caught the tail end of a show regarding this. I
didn't see what the causes are for it happening. Apparently
it's fairly widespread. Did you hear the "whys"?

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Old 15-04-2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
I just caught the tail end of a show regarding this. I didn't see what the
causes are for it happening. Apparently it's fairly widespread. Did you
hear the "whys"?

It sounds like it's possibly some virus or parasite that effects their
brains.

Very interesting. I wonder how it'll effect our food prices.

Old 15-04-2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

Johnny wrote:
Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants
suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature
workers. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly
far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally
raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go
anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all
American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of
its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East
Coast.

I just caught the tail end of a show regarding this. I
didn't see what the causes are for it happening. Apparently
it's fairly widespread. Did you hear the "whys"?

Checkout
http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2314202.ece
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 15-04-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
I just caught the tail end of a show regarding this. I didn't see what the
causes are for it happening. Apparently it's fairly widespread. Did you
hear the "whys"?

It sounds like it's possibly some virus or parasite that effects their
brains.

Very interesting. I wonder how it'll effect our food prices.

This is an older link but it speaks to crop production.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._honeybees.htm

Bees, via pollination, are responsible for 15 to 30 percent of the food
U.S. consumers eat. But in the last 50 years the domesticated honeybee
population‹which most farmers depend on for pollination‹has declined by
about 50 percent, scientists say.

Unless actions are taken to slow the decline of domesticated honeybees
and augment their populations with wild bees, many fruits and vegetables
may disappear from the food supply, said Claire Kremen, a conservation
biologist at Princeton University in New Jersey.

Anecdotes of farmers losing their crops owing to the honeybee shortage
appear to be on the increase, Kremen said. Last February, for example,
there were insufficient honeybees for all the almond blossoms in
California. As a result some farmers failed to meet expected yields. . .
------

I was born in '43. Two years later, America was a rich country, doing
half of the world's business while the rest of the industrialized world
re-built itself. We had stay at home moms and , families could survive
on one pay check. The future, if we had one (atomic bomb), promised to
be better. Even if we survive global warming, and that's not a given,
the future won't be better for most Americans because there are three
billion people in the world who live on less than $2/day.
( http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp ) Too many
people watching their babies die from lack of 10 cents worth of food or
a dollar's worth of medicine. Food, water, health care and, shelter have
to be spread around or push will come to shove. 9/11 was a push but,
you'll never hear that from this administration.

If we can't get a handle on global warming it won't matter anyway, for
anyone. If you want to give yourself a really good scare, look at the
Oct. 2006 issue of Scientific America, pg. 64, Impact from the Deep.
When we hit 500 parts per million of CO2 (We are now around 400 ppm) the
heating becomes irreversible. At 900 parts per million, we are looking
at a mass extinction of anything that breaths oxygen.

Read the article and tell me where they are wrong. Please.

Oh yeah, definitely higher prices for pollinated crops.

- Bill
Carp Diem

Old 15-04-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"William Rose" wrote in message

If we can't get a handle on global warming it won't matter anyway, for
anyone. If you want to give yourself a really good scare, look at the
Oct. 2006 issue of Scientific America, pg. 64, Impact from the Deep.
When we hit 500 parts per million of CO2 (We are now around 400 ppm) the
heating becomes irreversible. At 900 parts per million, we are looking
at a mass extinction of anything that breaths oxygen.

Read the article and tell me where they are wrong. Please.

Oh yeah, definitely higher prices for pollinated crops.

Do you have an URL for this article? I knew about global warming but this
is news to me.

Old 15-04-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

William Rose wrote:

If we can't get a handle on global warming it won't matter anyway, for
anyone. If you want to give yourself a really good scare, look at the
Oct. 2006 issue of Scientific America, pg. 64, Impact from the Deep.
When we hit 500 parts per million of CO2 (We are now around 400 ppm) the
heating becomes irreversible. At 900 parts per million, we are looking
at a mass extinction of anything that breaths oxygen.

Read the article and tell me where they are wrong. Please.

To put those numbers into perspective:

"The current (year 2007) concentration of CO2 is at about 380 ppm and it
is currently increased by 2 to 3 ppm each year."

So, at a conservative 2 ppm increase per year, the heating will become
irreversible within sixty years.

Mass extinction is on tap in less than a thousand years...by which time
they will have created a method to remove the CO2 from the air.
Actually, the technology exists today, but the cost is prohibitive in
the current political atmosphere. I imagine it'll become "worth it"
within a decade or two.

To further put those numbers into a historical perspective...over the
past million years, natural warming cycles (8 to 10 of them followed by
ice ages) would normally (naturally) see an increase of 30 ppm over a
1000 year period. We surpassed that in less than the last 20 years. How
anyone can look at those numbers and still hide behind the "it's a
natural cycle" explanation is beyond me.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's ever warming Far East
Old 16-04-2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

If you want to give yourself a really good scare, look at the
Oct. 2006 issue of Scientific America, pg. 64, Impact from the Deep.
When we hit 500 parts per million of CO2 (We are now around 400 ppm) the
heating becomes irreversible. At 900 parts per million, we are looking
at a mass extinction of anything that breaths oxygen.

Read the article and tell me where they are wrong. Please.

Oh yeah, definitely higher prices for pollinated crops.

Do you have an URL for this article? I knew about global warming but this
is news to me.

Son of a gun. I would have bet against the article being posted but here
it is.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...ID=00037A5 D-
A938-150E-A93883414B7F0000

I think the next reasonable thing to do is to put both hands straight up
in the air and, start running around screaming "FIRE".

Cloud dreamer, I hope your right but the prognostications from 50 years
ago had us flying to work by now, robots doing all the menial chores
and, us taking vacations to the moon. I'm not impressed with our
abilities to divine the future. Still, I hope your right, and that we
can keep radioactive waste contained for 20,000 years (four times longer
than mankind has been writing.) I just don't want to bet the farm on it.

Getting CO2 under control by 2050 is going to be a bit of a trick. I is
certainly going to jam the "bottom line" for many corporations and they
will not take it lying down. Americans can't continue to use a quarter
of the worlds energy and produce a quarter of the world's green house
gasses. Everyone has seen our movies. Everyone wants our creature
comforts. It's not possible. It's not even possible for us anymore.
Diminished expectations is what we can expect. China plans on building
500 coal powered electrical generating plants by 2050. India wants to
play to and has the means. Sub-Saharan Africa can't even afford to dream
of living like us yet but they will. There is only one pie and, you can
only get so many slices from it.

Go look at http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp and see
the want that already exists. We have reached the final frontier on this
planet. Things aren't going to get better. The next generation is in
deep, deep doo. There is much that we can do but it will hurt profits.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum, but no Russian roulette, that's right
out.
Old 16-04-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Manelli Family" wrote:

[...]

Don't worry. Many companies are seeing the profit in monopolizing
non-oil/coal energy production products. Example: BP providing solar energy
panel package to the consumer. Watch for severe hailstorms. Will your
insurance company pick up the tab? Cost - 12K-18K. Not a do-it-yourself
installation.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Old 16-04-2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"William Rose" wrote in message
Go look at http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp and see
the want that already exists. We have reached the final frontier on this
planet. Things aren't going to get better. The next generation is in
deep, deep doo. There is much that we can do but it will hurt profits.

Anything that hurts profits will not be done... it'll take a revolution, an
act of Congress.

Old 16-04-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 15, 9:12 am, "Johnny" wrote:
Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants
suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature
workers. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly
far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally
raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go
anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all
American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of
its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East
Coast.

German experiments have shown that cell phones disrupt a bee
navigation system.

Old 16-04-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
"simy1" wrote:

On Apr 15, 9:12 am, "Johnny" wrote:
Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants
suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature
workers. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly
far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally
raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go
anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all
American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of
its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East
Coast.

German experiments have shown that cell phones disrupt a bee
navigation system.

This goes way beyond finding their way home.

http://www.environment.co.za/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=529

. . . The disease showed a completely new set of symptoms, "which does
not seem to match anything in the literature", said the entomologist.

One was that the bees left the hive and flew away to die elsewhere, over
about a week. Another was that the few bees left inside the hive were
carrying "a tremendous number of pathogens" - virtually every known bee
virus could be detected in the insects, she said, and some bees were
carrying five or six viruses at a time, as well as fungal infections.
Because of this it was assumed that the bees' immune systems were being
suppressed in some way.

Professor Cox-Foster went on: "And another unusual symptom that we're
are seeing, which makes this very different, is that normally when a bee
colony gets weak and its numbers are decreasing, other neighboring bees
will come and steal the resources - they will take away the honey and
the pollen.

"Other insects like to take advantage too, such as the wax moth or the
hive beetle. But none of this is happening. These insects are not coming
in.

"This suggests that there is something toxic in the colony itself which
is repelling them." . . .
-----------

AIDS for bees.

Old 16-04-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

William Rose wrote:

AIDS for bees.

- Bill

You starting a fund raising march Bill? ;-)

Old 17-04-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com

Looked at your web site Steve. That's a mighty fine rack you have there.
I don't believe I've ever told a man that before.

As far as a march is concerned, I'm more into sit-ins;-)

I had my seedling out sunning themselves today. It wasn't that warm so I
left the tops on the seedling trays. Just fried them. I don't know the
extent of the damage yet, so I'm gonna' go back to kicking myself now.
You'll excuse me.

Old 17-04-2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:52:45 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

I had my seedling out sunning themselves today. It wasn't that warm so I
left the tops on the seedling trays. Just fried them. I don't know the
extent of the damage yet, so I'm gonna' go back to kicking myself now.
You'll excuse me.

My greenhouse get up to 85 or 90 degrees when it is 50 degrees outside
and sunny. That is with the door and vents open. So I guess it would
probably boil the plants in a tray with the top on.
--
Susan N.

Bees invaded my little outdoor frog habitat (how to get rid of bees) Judy Zappacosta Lawns 12 05-11-2010 12:23 PM
Disappearing Bees Johnny Gardening 6 16-04-2007 10:49 PM
My disappearing Shubunkin - Help? Sean R. Kerns Ponds 3 15-05-2003 09:08 PM
disappearing privacy Sid United Kingdom 1 12-04-2003 12:32 PM
Fish Disappearing...any ideas?? FIRE224U Ponds 5 29-01-2003 04:47 PM