Old 15-05-2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default taxes and the best place to vegetable garden?

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

I tend to disagree with the map a bit in the area around Austin. Generally
speaking, its a bit cooler to the west in the hill country proper than
Austin itself during worst of winter.

I agree. It varies a LOT due to changes in altitude.

Hill country proper, unless you're lucky enough to be in some bottom land,
you have to have raised beds. Or have the soil brought in. West of IH35,
may be lucky to have some locally usable soil of appreciable depth.

Yeah, but you are safer from Tornadoes than if you lived EAST of IH35!

Water availability is always a problem in the summer in a typical year.

Yes and no. It's what makes raised bed and container gardening more
attractive tho'. I've considered (eventually) checking out hydroponics.

Texas has a 8.25% sales tax except for most foods. They tax vegetable
juice, but not potato chips. I don't know why either. All restaurant foods
are taxed same rate. Locally prepared bakery products are not taxed.

Property taxes vary by county AND local school districts within that county.

BIG TIME!

Looking at last year's tax bill, the school district's portion is the
biggest bite in taxes. I live in Hays county, in the Wimberley area subject
to WISD taxation. Well over 2% assessed value is tax rate. Austin is in
Travis county. Seniors get a property tax break at age 65 state-wide.

Got some decent rain today, with minor hail.
--
Dave

I live in Hays county also, and in the suburbs within city limits. My
lot with the house is .22 acres. The house (including the sun room/porch
we added, it's insulated and AC'd) is 1,450 square ft.

Tax bill this year is estimated at $1,670. Just got the tax statement
yesterday, but the actual tax is usually $50.00 to $100.00 less.

I just have a set amount of money deducted from savings into checking
monthly, (BOA will set up the auto-debit) to pay for property tax and
home owners insurance annually. That also acts as my overdraft
protection.

Taxes in and near to San Antonio are MUCH higher, as is Austin.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 15-05-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"tstovall" wrote:

That is good information. sales tax at 8.25% is even worse than Tennesse.
and yes, I can't figure property taxes in Texas because each town is
different. plus school district taxation!!! ick. Gardening is getting
more expensive as I read.
Thank you!!
~tom

But there is no state income tax... g

Old 15-05-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax
assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home. Yes,
both play in determining that. So does the prevailing values of the
properties in your vicinity. The tax percentage times the estimated
property value equals the annual tax burden. I think you will find that if
you can find an equally valued home/property in Austin/San Antonio, there
would be little difference in the tax burden depending on the school
district.

I physically go to the local bank and have them transfer my checking account
monies to my savings account every month for property taxes and annual auto
insurance premium. When either come due, I transfer the monies back and
write the appropriate check. I used to do the transfer at the bank's ATM.
But, I ran into something unusual that the bank clerk and customer service
could not explain. They said the bank would hold funds if my total debits
exceeded 1000 dollars. Together with my transfer and debits, it did exceed
that. They said an internal transfer electronically from the bank ATM to my
savings account should not be a factor. They could not explain it. My
debit card was refused that day at the local dollar store for 9 bucks worth
of dog food. Even though my checking account had over 2000 dollars in it.
So, the bank personnel said to come in the bank and let them do the checking
to savings transfer.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.

Old 15-05-2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax
assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home.

Um, babe, yes they do! When I had the addition built on, they tried to
give me a seriously over-rated tax increase! I objected as it's just a
bloody sun porch. Got it reduced by around $300.00. Size and location
of the lot, plus buildings and land improvements such as wells and
outbuildings, etc.

Yes,
both play in determining that. So does the prevailing values of the
properties in your vicinity. The tax percentage times the estimated
property value equals the annual tax burden. I think you will find that if
you can find an equally valued home/property in Austin/San Antonio, there
would be little difference in the tax burden depending on the school
district.

I have. San Antonio is MUCH higher...

I physically go to the local bank and have them transfer my checking account
monies to my savings account every month for property taxes and annual auto
insurance premium. When either come due, I transfer the monies back and
write the appropriate check.

It's less hassle for me to do an auto-debit like I do for my morgage and
enter it in the checkbook accordingly. I have a separate "checkbook" to
draw from the money market (savings) account when I need to draw on it.
I can also phone call to have money transferred back into checking, but
it's not necessary.

I used to do the transfer at the bank's ATM.
But, I ran into something unusual that the bank clerk and customer service
could not explain. They said the bank would hold funds if my total debits
exceeded 1000 dollars. Together with my transfer and debits, it did exceed
that. They said an internal transfer electronically from the bank ATM to my
savings account should not be a factor. They could not explain it. My
debit card was refused that day at the local dollar store for 9 bucks worth
of dog food. Even though my checking account had over 2000 dollars in it.
So, the bank personnel said to come in the bank and let them do the checking
to savings transfer.
--
Dave

I'd rather not have to go there in person. My schedule is a bit wierd
because I work night shifts...

I could do the transfers thru paypal or on line banking, but I don't
like putting my banking info. on the internet.

The phone calls work fine. :-)
As do the scheduled auto-debits.

I use Bank of America.

With the savings account checks, I really don't have to do transfers to
checking from savings, but I've currently misplaced the book. :-P

Old 16-05-2008, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax
assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home.

Um, babe, yes they do! When I had the addition built on, they tried to
give me a seriously over-rated tax increase! I objected as it's just a
bloody sun porch. Got it reduced by around $300.00. Size and location
of the lot, plus buildings and land improvements such as wells and
outbuildings, etc.

Good for you. But, that doesn't mean the added square footage is the
factor. No, its what they value your property at, irregardless square
footage. That is, the improvement adding to your property value,
irregardless the square footage added, is the factor. Contesting their
assessment is always a good idea if it increases as a result of some
improvement.

You forgot views. A view of the surrounding area from your property is also
taxable. No, I'm not kidding.

[...]

I refuse, and continue to refuse to use any "online" form of banking. I do
continue to use a personal computer without internet access to keep track of
my banking/investments.

Old 16-05-2008, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"tstovall" wrote in message
I'm wondering where to retire. It would have to be in a location where
housing prices are not outa this world, like San Diego, etc. But I also
want a place that I can grow wonderful vegetables most of the year. Even
if that means in a northern state with season extensions and a greenhouse.
Or the deep south. or, what's your thoughts on climate and taxes!!!? Don't
vege's taste better with less taxes?
~tom

I had a relative just south of Atlanta GA that gardened almost year round.
Taxes are low and houses modestly priced outside the cities and towns.

Old 16-05-2008, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I garden in all raised beds and containers.

What kind of soil or soil mix do you use in the raised beds and containers?

Old 16-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax
assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home.

Um, babe, yes they do! When I had the addition built on, they tried to
give me a seriously over-rated tax increase! I objected as it's just a
bloody sun porch. Got it reduced by around $300.00. Size and location
of the lot, plus buildings and land improvements such as wells and
outbuildings, etc.

Good for you. But, that doesn't mean the added square footage is the
factor.

You wish!
They tried to raise my taxes on me when I built the sun porch!
I went down and disputed it, telling them it was only a bloody PORCH
and not an addition to the house.

I won. ;-)

No, its what they value your property at, irregardless square
footage. That is, the improvement adding to your property value,
irregardless the square footage added, is the factor. Contesting their
assessment is always a good idea if it increases as a result of some
improvement.

They told me they made the raise based on the additional square foot
value. I'll let you take it up with my local tax ass-essor. g

You forgot views. A view of the surrounding area from your property is also
taxable. No, I'm not kidding.

I ain't got no view. :-(
Just the street and neighbors yards, thankfully now blocked on two sides
by privacy fencing. The world can see IN to my front yard.

Yes,
both play in determining that. So does the prevailing values of the
properties in your vicinity. The tax percentage times the estimated
property value equals the annual tax burden. I think you will find that
if
you can find an equally valued home/property in Austin/San Antonio, there
would be little difference in the tax burden depending on the school
district.

I have. San Antonio is MUCH higher...

School district?

Hays county. Can't recall the SA county at the moment.
But, even Comal charges more.

-

I refuse, and continue to refuse to use any "online" form of banking. I do
continue to use a personal computer without internet access to keep track of
my banking/investments.

It works. :-)

Old 16-05-2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I garden in all raised beds and containers.

What kind of soil or soil mix do you use in the raised beds and containers?

A mix of local dirt I dig out of what used to be my emu and chicken pens
mixed with mulch and limestone sand. I occasionally add commercial
topsoil as needed.

In some of the containers, I'm just using what I'm digging out of the
old emu pen. I had lined them generously with sand at one time to keep
the mess under control. The pens no longer exist but the soil is rich
with composted manure in the sand I bought from the quarry.

It's working well in the pots when I mix it with some commercial mulch
from Lowe's.

Old 16-05-2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I garden in all raised beds and containers.

What kind of soil or soil mix do you use in the raised beds and
containers?

A mix of local dirt I dig out of what used to be my emu and chicken pens
mixed with mulch and limestone sand. I occasionally add commercial
topsoil as needed.

In some of the containers, I'm just using what I'm digging out of the
old emu pen. I had lined them generously with sand at one time to keep
the mess under control. The pens no longer exist but the soil is rich
with composted manure in the sand I bought from the quarry.

It's working well in the pots when I mix it with some commercial mulch
from Lowe's.

Thanks. :-)

Old 16-05-2008, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
I garden in all raised beds and containers.

What kind of soil or soil mix do you use in the raised beds and
containers?

A mix of local dirt I dig out of what used to be my emu and chicken pens
mixed with mulch and limestone sand. I occasionally add commercial
topsoil as needed.

In some of the containers, I'm just using what I'm digging out of the
old emu pen. I had lined them generously with sand at one time to keep
the mess under control. The pens no longer exist but the soil is rich
with composted manure in the sand I bought from the quarry.

It's working well in the pots when I mix it with some commercial mulch
from Lowe's.

Thanks. :-)

Cheers! :-)

Old 19-05-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

The "view" that I was referring is for instance a hilltop or near hilltop
home with view of countryside. Not related directly to you.

The tax assessor's rep at the contested property tax says their basis is the
added square footage. That's their basis for the increase. If they had
been successful, the value of the property would have gone up as a result.
And, as a result, so would your taxes. The basis for taxing the property,
the value would have increased. That is my point. Again, I'm glad you were
successful in contesting their proposed property value increase.

Back to the view thing. They showed a proposed tax increase on my property
due to what they thought was a view in the preliminary tax papers.
Apparently, they "chickened out" as it did not show in my actual property
tax breakdown. I don't really have any real view of the countryside due to
the trees. Have to go up to the street to see that. I can see Austin and
New Braunfels/San Antonio lighting the sky on most nights. Directly
overhead, dark and good night sky/stars.

Old 19-05-2008, 09:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

The "view" that I was referring is for instance a hilltop or near hilltop
home with view of countryside. Not related directly to you.

Got it.

[...]

I envy you that. :-) Too much light here to see starscapes, but they are
taxing you on the OVERHEAD view???

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.

Try Kombucha.

Old 19-05-2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Try Kombucha.

Try Kombucha? Kombucha for Parkinson's? Knew it was good for detox.
Can you amplify your statement?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 19-05-2008, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Try Kombucha.

Try Kombucha? Kombucha for Parkinson's? Knew it was good for detox.
Can you amplify your statement?

Kombucha, especially if you eat the critter itself, has shown some
positive effects for autoimmune diseases.

Need a critter? We have plenty. g Dad's been brewing and drinking it
for years.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

profit and its links with taxes sophie United Kingdom 1 18-04-2012 02:26 PM
OT Property taxes Dioclese Texas 2 25-11-2007 09:43 PM
New taxes ????? Grigri Ponds 0 16-03-2005 11:03 PM
Bush/Kerry will raise taxes theoneflasehaddock Gardening 5 22-04-2004 03:02 PM