Old 28-06-2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cucumbers

After planting 3 20ft rows of cucumbers this year, we've got cukes
coming off left and right! I've been getting 15-20 cukes a day for the
last 4 days. (Thankfully, the cucumber plants survived the cows attack
on the garden the other day.) Since I have such a supply of cukes so
far, I'm wanting to try something different this year as far as pickling
them. Normally do dill & sour, but open to any kind. Anybody have a
favorite recipe they want to share?

Thanks!
~Rae
Old 28-06-2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

After planting 3 20ft rows of cucumbers this year, we've got cukes
coming off left and right! I've been getting 15-20 cukes a day for the
last 4 days. (Thankfully, the cucumber plants survived the cows attack
on the garden the other day.) Since I have such a supply of cukes so
far, I'm wanting to try something different this year as far as pickling
them. Normally do dill & sour, but open to any kind. Anybody have a
favorite recipe they want to share?

Thanks!
~Rae

I cheat. I prefer Kosher dills for flavor.
I go to the store, buy my favorite brand (either Clausen's or Vlasic),
eat the pickles and save the brine.

I then place whatever I want to pickle in that brine in the 'frige and
let it go for a couple of weeks. When mom was on her last legs and
unable to do much for herself, I used to pickle fresh okra pods that way
for her. She loved them. :-) I have pickled eggs and fresh cucumbers
this same way and it works very, very well. I can generally get 3 uses
out of the brine for veggies and 2 uses when I do eggs. I also add some
beet juice to the egg brine to dye them that wonderful pink color...
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 29-06-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Do a google search for refrigerator bread & butter pickles. I can't put my
hands on the recipe just now, but I've made them for the last 4 years. It's
the easiest & best recipe ever.
Steve

Old 29-06-2008, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

After planting 3 20ft rows of cucumbers this year, we've got cukes
coming off left and right! I've been getting 15-20 cukes a day for the
last 4 days. (Thankfully, the cucumber plants survived the cows attack
on the garden the other day.) Since I have such a supply of cukes so
far, I'm wanting to try something different this year as far as pickling
them. Normally do dill & sour, but open to any kind. Anybody have a
favorite recipe they want to share?

Thanks!
~Rae

Sorry, I grow lemon cucumbers, mostly, and eat them fresh. You asked for
favorites but I'm just gonna dump a load of recipes. Hope you take them
in the spirit intended.

Garlic Dill Pickles
Refrigerator Pickles
Texas Sweet Pickles
Candied Pickles
Bread and Butter Pickles
Easy Pickles
Hot Sweet Dill Pickles
Garlic Dill Pickles
Pickles by the Bushel
Garlic and Dill Pickles
Pickles

* Exported from MasterCook *

Garlic Dill Pickles

Recipe By :Ruth Adams Bronz - Miss Ruby's American Cooking
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

20 4 inch Kirby cucumbers -- unpeeled
6 stalks fresh dill
8 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon alum
1 cup salt
12 cups water
4 cups white vinegar

Wash cucumbers and let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
Put cucumbers in a 1 gallon crock and add the dill, garlic and alum.
In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, add water, salt and
vinegar. Bring to a boil and pour over cucumbers. Let cool then place in
refrigerator to chill.
Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. Wait at least 3 days
before serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Refrigerator Pickles

Recipe By :rec.food.cooking
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 gallon cucumbers -- sliced
1 large onion -- halved and sliced
4 cups sugar
4 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup pickling salt
1 1/3 teaspoons celery seeds
1 1/3 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/3 teaspoons prepared mustard

In a medium saucepan combine sugar, vinegar, salt, celery seed,
turmeric and mustard. Heat to just below a boil. Do not boil.
Place sliced cucumber and onion into a crock and pour hot liquid over.
Let cool, cover then refrigerate 5 days before serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Texas Sweet Pickles

Recipe By :Carrie Pecher
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 gallon medium cucumbers -- sliced
5 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons powdered alum
4 tablespoons pickling spice
8 cups white vinegar

In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, combine vinegar, salt, alum
and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
In a large non-reactive container add cucumbers and cover completely
with pickling brine. Push cucumbers completely in solution with a plate
or
plastic lid and weight down.( Do not use a metal container. Use plastic,
stoneware or glass). Let stand 3 weeks.
Rinse cucumbers well in cold running water and drain. Return to
container and add 5 cups sugar over top. (Sugar will make it's own
juice.)
Cover and let stand for 1 week.
Pack in smaller jars and cover with liquid and cap. No need to can.
Store in a cool dark place.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Candied Pickles

Recipe By :Jo Anne Merrill
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Canning Recipes

3 1-pint canning jars
2 quarts cucumbers -- sliced
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Wash and drain the cucumbers; cut into 1/4-inch slices.
Use a large heavy kettle or sauce pan. Combine the sugar, vinegar, salt,
mustard, celery seed and red pepper flakes.
Place over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Increase
heat and bring to a boil. Add the cucumbers and simmer for 5 minutes.
Immediately pack the pickles into sterilized and drained jars; seal
tightly.
Yield: about 3 pints

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bread and Butter Pickles

Recipe By :Marcia Adams
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

25 slender cucumbers
3 onions -- as big around as
the cucumbers
2 red bell peppers
1/2 cup coarse salt -- (not iodized)
2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons mustard seed
3 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Scrub cucumbers and slice them into 1/8" - 1/4" rounds. Peel
and slice onions. Core peppers and cut into strips. Place
vegetables in deep pans in layers, sprinkling each layer with
salt. Allow to stand for 3 hours, then drain.
Combine the vinegar, sugar, water, mustard seed, celery seed,
pepper, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric in a deep kettle and bring
to a boil over high heat. Add the cucumbers, onions, bell pepper
and bring back to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer 5
minutes. Using tongs, pack pickles tightly into 10 sterilized pint
jars. Ladle in the hot brine, leaving 1/2" headspace. Wipe rims
of the jars, cover with the lids, screw tight and process in a
hot water bath for 10 minutes. Remove jars from water cool and
store in a dark place.

--
Easy Pickles
Hot Sweet Dill Pickles

Easy Pickles

32-oz. jar Kosher dill pickles, drained and cut into chunks
1 cup water
1 cup sugar or Splenda substitute
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
1 fresh clove garlic, crushed, peeled (optional)

Drain solution from jar of pickles and set pickles aside after cutting
into chunks. In a medium sauce pan add water, sugar and vinegar; bring
a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Add garlic clove. Let solution cool to room
temperature and add to pickles. Keep refrigerated.

Hot Sweet Dill Pickles

1 quart (bought) dill pickles, drained and sliced
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
1 or 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed, peeled and minced

Drain and slice pickles. Layer sliced pickles, sugar, red pepper, and
garlic in clean jar. Turn jar once each day until sugar dissolves. Let
stand about a week before eating.

Garlic Dill Pickles
7 Pints

4 pounds 3- to 4-inch pickling cucumbers
2 cups water
2 cups distilled white vinegar (5%)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup pickling salt
2 tablespoons McCormick (or other) pickling spice

Prepare 7 (1 pint) jars according to manufacturer's directions. Slice
cucumbers into quarters lengthwise. Combine water, vinegar, sugar and
salt
in a large pan. Toss pickling spice into the liquid. Bring to a boil,
reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.

For Each Jar

1 fresh dill "head" with seeds
1 bay leaf
2 to 3 crushed and peeled garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/8 tsp powdered alum

With clean hands, pack the cucumber spears snugly in the jars. Add dill,
bay leaf, garlic and mustard seeds to each jar. Pour the hot liquid over
the cucumbers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process the jars in a water
bath for 10 minutes. For best flavor, let the pickles sit for at least
one
week before serving them.

Pickles by the Bushel

1 Bushel pickling cucumbers (yields 40 to 45 Quarts)
1 Gallon Heinz Distilled 5% acidity Vinegar
3 Gallons tap water
2 Cups Mortons canning & pickling salt
6 large bunches of ripe dill (just starting to seed at the top)
Dried hot red peppers (OUCH! Optional)
cloves fresh crushed and peeled garlic
1 grape leaf for each quart
Or,
1/4 tsp powdered alum per quart

Fill kitchen sink with half water and one pint of grapefruit juice. Scrub
cucumbers in the sink, cut out blemishes and abnormalities with a paring
knife. The grapefruit juice helps to clean chemicals and human diseases
that may have attached from the people picking the pickles. ??? - That is
news to me, Nita.

In the bottom of sterilized quart jars place a pepper (optional -- Use
only if you want HOT pickles), 1 to 3 cloves of crushed and peeled fresh
garlic, and half of the grape leaf Or, 1/4 tsp powdered alum, then pack
the cucumbers as tightly as possible without breaking them. Leave about
an
inch at the top of the jar, put the other half of the grape leaf (omit if
using powdered alum) and 1 or 2 more cloves of crushed and peeled garlic
(make sure you stuff it in so it doesn't come to the top and break the
seal). At this point you can also add the stalks of dill to further pack
your jar.

Mix vinegar, water, and salt to make a brine and bring the brine to a
boil. In a smaller sauce pan boil your lids in water (the rubber on the
lids will swell and help to insure a good seal). Pour the brine into the
packed pickle quarts and wipe the rim of the jar. Pull the lids out of
the
boiling water with a fork, place on top and secure the lid with the ring.
Place the jars at least 2 inches apart for them to pop down (when they
pop
down you will hear it, that means your jar has sealed). Let the jars sit
undisturbed for 24 hours. Wait 6 weeks to open and enjoy. I have adjusted
this for use without grape leaves. Also I increased the amount of and
changed garlic cloves to crushed and peeled.

The original of this recipe is said to have won the Adams County fair in
Colorado 1999.

Garlic and Dill Pickles

Brine:

1 qt. cider vinegar (5% acidity)
3 qts. water
1 cup Kosher salt (non-iodized)

Bring to a boil. Clean quart jars, lids and scrub 1/2 bushel small
cucumbers. Pack jars with 3 crushed and peeled garlic cloves and a sprig
of fresh dill on the bottom. Add cucumbers til jars are full. Top with 3
more crushed and peeled garlic cloves and another sprig of dill. Fill
jars one at a time with boiling brine leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal
at
once and process in a boiling water bath. Age pickles for 2 months
before
opening. Note: If a lid doesn't vacuum seal you can refrigerate and use
as
is.

------

Pickles

submitted by rcoen

Basic Pickle Brine

2 quarts water
1 1/2 quarts vinegar (cider, red wine or rice vinegar)
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt

Optional

2 Tbsp mustard seeds
2 tsp whole cloves
2 Tbsp whole allspice berries
1 Tbsp celery seed
6 bay leaves
1 bunch of fresh thyme

To make the pickles, simply mix all the ingredients together in a medium
saucepan
and bring to a boil. Place your prepared vegetables in a clean container
with a
tight fitting lid. Allow the brine to boil for a couple of minutes to
release the
flavor of the spices. Carefully pour the boiling brine over the
vegetables and
allow it to cool with the lid off in the refrigerator. When the
container is cool
(about 3 - 4 hours), fit the lid tightly. If you are going to be canning
the
pickles, follow the instructions that come with the canning jars to avoid
potentially dangerous foodborne illness.
--
~~

We of an older generation can get along with what we have, though with
growing hardship; but in your full manhood and womanhood you will want
what nature once so bountifully supplied and man so thoughtlessly
destroyed; and because of that want you will reproach us, not for what
we have used, but for what we have wasted...So any nation which in its
youth lives only for the day, reaps without sowing, and consumes without
husbanding, must expect the penalty of the prodigal whose labor could
with difficulty find him the bare means of life."

-Theodore Roosevelt
"Arbor Day - A Message to the School-Children of the United States"
April 15, 1907
Old 29-06-2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,

*snip*

I cheat. I prefer Kosher dills for flavor.
I go to the store, buy my favorite brand (either Clausen's or Vlasic),
eat the pickles and save the brine.

I then place whatever I want to pickle in that brine in the 'frige and
let it go for a couple of weeks. When mom was on her last legs and
unable to do much for herself, I used to pickle fresh okra pods that way
for her. She loved them. :-) I have pickled eggs and fresh cucumbers
this same way and it works very, very well. I can generally get 3 uses
out of the brine for veggies and 2 uses when I do eggs. I also add some
beet juice to the egg brine to dye them that wonderful pink color...

Cool idea, Om! I'd have never thought of that!
Thanks!
~Rae

Old 29-06-2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
Do a google search for refrigerator bread & butter pickles. I can't put my
hands on the recipe just now, but I've made them for the last 4 years. It's
the easiest & best recipe ever.
Steve

lol! Do you have any idea how many hits come up with that? Only about 18
thousand! lol! I did a general search for pickle recipes before I posted
here about it. Now if I can only figure out which one it is that you
use...lol!
Thanks though!
~Rae
Old 29-06-2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

*snip*

Sorry, I grow lemon cucumbers, mostly, and eat them fresh. You asked for
favorites but I'm just gonna dump a load of recipes. Hope you take them
in the spirit intended.

Thanks, Billy, I appreciate all the recipes. I'm definitely gonna give
the "candied" ones a try! They sound like they'd be a hit with my family!

Thanks again!
~Rae

PS: I need to give those lemon cukes a try too...I'll try to remember
that for next year...

Old 29-06-2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

REFRIGERATOR BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES
Printed from COOKS.COM

9 c. sliced cucumbers, unpeeled (5 lg. or 12 sm.)
1 c. onions, red & white
1 c. peppers, red & green
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. turmeric
3 c. vinegar
1 tsp. mustard seed
2 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. salt

Put 2 tablespoons of salt over sliced pickles. Let stand 1 hour,
drain. Combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, salt and turmeric.
Bring to boil. Cool and pour over cucumbers that have been placed in jars.
Refrigerate. Let stand 1 week before serving.

Old 29-06-2008, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
REFRIGERATOR BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES
Printed from COOKS.COM

9 c. sliced cucumbers, unpeeled (5 lg. or 12 sm.)
1 c. onions, red & white
1 c. peppers, red & green
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. turmeric
3 c. vinegar
1 tsp. mustard seed
2 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. salt

Put 2 tablespoons of salt over sliced pickles. Let stand 1 hour,
drain. Combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, salt and turmeric.
Bring to boil. Cool and pour over cucumbers that have been placed in jars.
Refrigerate. Let stand 1 week before serving.

Thanks for posting your recipe for me! Appreciate the emailed copy too!

~Rae
Old 29-06-2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
REFRIGERATOR BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES
Printed from COOKS.COM

9 c. sliced cucumbers, unpeeled (5 lg. or 12 sm.)
1 c. onions, red & white
1 c. peppers, red & green
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. turmeric
3 c. vinegar
1 tsp. mustard seed
2 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. salt

Put 2 tablespoons of salt over sliced pickles. Let stand 1 hour,
drain. Combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, salt and
turmeric. Bring to boil. Cool and pour over cucumbers that have been
placed in jars. Refrigerate. Let stand 1 week before serving.

Thanks for posting your recipe for me! Appreciate the emailed copy too!

~Rae

You're quite welcome. The recipe is very easy and delicious. The key to
crispness is the salt removing the water from the raw veggies. They have to
stay in the fridge, but I've kept them for over 1 year.
Good Luck,
Steve

Old 30-06-2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,

*snip*

I cheat. I prefer Kosher dills for flavor.
I go to the store, buy my favorite brand (either Clausen's or Vlasic),
eat the pickles and save the brine.

I then place whatever I want to pickle in that brine in the 'frige and
let it go for a couple of weeks. When mom was on her last legs and
unable to do much for herself, I used to pickle fresh okra pods that way
for her. She loved them. :-) I have pickled eggs and fresh cucumbers
this same way and it works very, very well. I can generally get 3 uses
out of the brine for veggies and 2 uses when I do eggs. I also add some
beet juice to the egg brine to dye them that wonderful pink color...

Cool idea, Om! I'd have never thought of that!
Thanks!
~Rae

Cheers! :-)

Old 30-06-2008, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

rachael simpson wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
REFRIGERATOR BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES
Printed from COOKS.COM

9 c. sliced cucumbers, unpeeled (5 lg. or 12 sm.)
1 c. onions, red & white
1 c. peppers, red & green
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. turmeric
3 c. vinegar
1 tsp. mustard seed
2 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. salt

Put 2 tablespoons of salt over sliced pickles. Let stand 1 hour,
drain. Combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, salt and
turmeric. Bring to boil. Cool and pour over cucumbers that have been
placed in jars. Refrigerate. Let stand 1 week before serving.

Thanks for posting your recipe for me! Appreciate the emailed copy too!

~Rae

Some red pepper flakes or a couple of dried red "jap" peppers in each
jar *really* perks up Bread & Butter pickles. (If you have fresh
cayenne peppers from your garden, by all means use those.)

Bob
Old 30-06-2008, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

rachael simpson wrote:

far, I'm wanting to try something different this year as far as pickling
them. Normally do dill & sour, but open to any kind. Anybody have a

I _love_ cucumber soup. Mmmm. Yum!

That's not pickles, but it does take care of a *load of cukes.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com
Old 30-06-2008, 08:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Henriette Kress wrote:

rachael simpson wrote:

far, I'm wanting to try something different this year as far as pickling
them. Normally do dill & sour, but open to any kind. Anybody have a

I _love_ cucumber soup. Mmmm. Yum!

That's not pickles, but it does take care of a *load of cukes.

Henriette

Cucumber sandwiches are also good. Another fun way to eat them is to
slice them lengthwise in half after you peel them, then take a spoon and
scoop out the sees making a cucumber "boat". This can then be filled
with a variety of fillings such as tuna salad, etc.

Good for those sticking to a low carb lifestyle. ;-)

Old 30-06-2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
rachael simpson wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

Agreed, this is just a method. I've replaced all the veggies with hot banana
pepper rings for a wonderful sweet/hot pickle.
Steve