Old 28-09-2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default lead exposure from hoses

I was just at the store looking at garden hoses and I noticed that all
of their labels carry a warning which says that they contain lead,
one should not drink from them, and one should wash their hands after
use.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find information on lead
exposure from using these hoses.
Old 28-09-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:06:49 -0700, Mycosimian wrote:

I was just at the store looking at garden hoses and I noticed that all
of their labels carry a warning which says that they contain lead, one
should not drink from them, and one should wash their hands after use.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find information on lead
exposure from using these hoses.

Just let the water run for a minute or two before you drink from the hose.
The pipes in your house probably have lead solder, unless they were put in
in the last 10 years, which is why your mother always told to let the tap
run for a bit before you drank from it. You haven't suffered any ill
effects from your pipes so you shouldn't worry about the water from your
hose.
Old 28-09-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 28, 11:06*am, Mycosimian wrote:
I was just at the store looking at garden hoses and I noticed that all
of their labels carry a warning which says that they contain lead,
one should not drink from them, and one should wash their hands after
use.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find information on lead
exposure from using these hoses.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...-505/index.htm

Dare you drink from a garden hose?

We'd answer that question by saying it's OK to drink from a hose only
if you know it was labeled safe on the package and if you flush it
first. If you don't flush out the hose, the water standing inside may
contain worrisome amounts of lead and other chemicals that leach from
the hose itself. Many hoses are made of polyvinyl chloride, which uses
lead as a stabilizer.

We recently tested hoses sold at national chains and on the Internet.
Some had packaging indicating they were safe for drinking; others had
warning labels. But some of the hoses weren't labeled either way.

The hoses labeled safe for drinking typically contained less lead in
their construction than the others. In our tests, those hoses leached
minuscule amounts of lead into water that had been standing in the
hose for 20 hours or more. We measured concentrations well below 15
parts per billion, the level in drinking water at which the
Environmental Protection Agency requires remedial action. In fact, tap
water contained as much lead as some samples. (The time the water
stands in the hose, water temperature and acidity all affect the
amount of lead leaching.) Hoses containing the highest amounts of
lead, only two of which carried a "do not drink" label, leached 10 to
100 times allowable lead levels in the first draw of standing water.

However, even extremely low levels of lead may cause health problems.
A recent study reported in The New England Journal of Medicine
suggests that lead levels in the blood even lower than the current
definition of toxicity may adversely affect a child's IQ.

The bottom line. When you buy a hose, choose one labeled safe for
drinking. If you use a hose whose package label you haven't seen,
assume it's not safe for drinking. With any hose, flush it by letting
the water run for a minute or so before you drink.

Old 28-09-2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
CanopyCo wrote:

In our tests, those hoses leached
minuscule amounts of lead into water that had been standing in the
hose for 20 hours or more. We measured concentrations well below 15
parts per billion, the level in drinking water at which the
Environmental Protection Agency requires remedial action. In fact, tap
water contained as much lead as some samples.

This is a good argument for plastic faucets for people, especially those
with young children because a metal faucet is a source of lead in
drinking water.
--

Billy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA
Old 29-09-2008, 09:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
CanopyCo wrote:

In our tests, those hoses leached
minuscule amounts of lead into water that had been standing in the
hose for 20 hours or more. We measured concentrations well below 15
parts per billion, the level in drinking water at which the
Environmental Protection Agency requires remedial action. In fact, tap
water contained as much lead as some samples.

This is a good argument for plastic faucets for people, especially those
with young children because a metal faucet is a source of lead in
drinking water.

It's a better argument for teaching your children to run the water a
minute before filling the glass. Not every faucet they encounter in their
lives will be safe.

Both our children have had no problems learning this.

Ted

Old 29-09-2008, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 28, 2:47*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*CanopyCo wrote:
In our tests, those hoses leached
minuscule amounts of lead into water that had been standing in the
hose for 20 hours or more. We measured concentrations well below 15
parts per billion, the level in drinking water at which the
Environmental Protection Agency requires remedial action. In fact, tap
water contained as much lead as some samples.

This is a good argument for plastic faucets for people, especially those *
with young children because a metal faucet is a source of lead in
drinking water.
--

Actually, the only lead in the water system of a house is from
soldered joints.

Old 29-09-2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:39:53 -0700, CanopyCo wrote:

On Sep 28, 2:47Â*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

This is a good argument for plastic faucets for people, especially
those with young children because a metal faucet is a source of lead in
drinking water.
--

Actually, the only lead in the water system of a house is from soldered
joints.
There are plenty of options other then solder for joining metal pipe.
The fact that a valve is metal has nothing to do with if it has led in
the water.
It is all about how you joined that valve to the line, and how the line
is joined at each connection.

First I ramble.
Actually, if you buy a faucet, in CA, there will often be a lead warning
notice, saying something about the faucet having lead, and to let it run
for a moment, to flush it out, before using it for drinking water. There
was one in my new faucet, purchased a couple of years ago.

Google ( lead faucet ca )

I don't know where you live, but in california, brass plumbing fixtures
do contain lead.

My pipes are copper with "Lead Free" solder. ( is "Lead Free" solder
really lead free? ) and run under dirt, all the way to my faucet, so if I
run the water for 20 seconds, it is nice and cold. The lead from the
brass, if any, is rinsed away, and all I taste is chlorine and copper.

City water sucks.

Old 29-09-2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:47:06 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:39:53 -0700, CanopyCo wrote:

On Sep 28, 2:47Â*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Why don't you add a big carbon filter to your water line?. I have a well
with huge amounts of iron so I have an iron filter followed by a water
softener followed by a 6" whole house carbon filter, after all that my
water tastes great.
Old 30-09-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:47:06 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

City water sucks.

Why don't you add a big carbon filter to your water line?. I have a well
with huge amounts of iron so I have an iron filter followed by a water
softener followed by a 6" whole house carbon filter, after all that my
water tastes great.

Do you chlorinate or otherwise kill potential bacteria?

If not, you're lucky it hasn't feasted on the carbon filter for lunch.

Once it does, you'll have trouble telling which smells worse,

your sewer or your house water

Old 30-09-2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:46:52 -0400, Steve Young wrote:

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:47:06 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

City water sucks.

Why don't you add a big carbon filter to your water line?. I have a
well with huge amounts of iron so I have an iron filter followed by a
water softener followed by a 6" whole house carbon filter, after all
that my water tastes great.

Do you chlorinate or otherwise kill potential bacteria?

If not, you're lucky it hasn't feasted on the carbon filter for lunch.

Once it does, you'll have trouble telling which smells worse,

your sewer or your house water

I wipe the housing with bleach when I change filters every six months but
that's it. As long as I change the filter twice a year I don't have a
problem, if I let it go longer than 6 months there will be a smell which
is easily remedied by a filter change. I've been using whole house carbon
filters for 25 years.

Old 30-09-2008, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My well water filtration system, prior to house plumbing entry, runs like
this in series. Sediment filter, air injection bottle, carbon filter.
Change the sediment filter once a month, and the carbon filter every 3
months. Bacteria that come from deep wells are normally anaerobic, not
aerobic in nature. The odor, most likely, is hydrogen sulfide gas made by
such bacteria.
--
Dave

Old 01-10-2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
CanopyCo wrote:

In our tests, those hoses leached
minuscule amounts of lead into water that had been standing in the
hose for 20 hours or more. We measured concentrations well below 15
parts per billion, the level in drinking water at which the
Environmental Protection Agency requires remedial action. In fact, tap
water contained as much lead as some samples.

This is a good argument for plastic faucets for people, especially those
with young children because a metal faucet is a source of lead in
drinking water.

It's a better argument for teaching your children to run the water a
minute before filling the glass. Not every faucet they encounter in their
lives will be safe.

Both our children have had no problems learning this.

Ted

I always let the water run for a while before drinking but mainly to let it
cool down, not over any worries about lead. This whole lead thing seems like
a scam to me, like global warming or the asbestos panic. Or the
cranberries-cause-cancer scare of 30 years ago. Based on my observations
over the last 50 years or so, they'll probably be recommending that we take
lead supplements regularlty within the next 5 years. And there will probably
be asbestos dust inhalers issued by the FDA to clean your lungs. Anything
the "experts" say will probably be wrong, like the high-carb diet they
touted for so long to prevent obesity and heart attacks.

Paul

Old 01-10-2008, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I always let the water run for a while before drinking but mainly to let
it cool down, not over any worries about lead. This whole lead thing
seems like a scam to me, like global warming or the asbestos panic. Or
the cranberries-cause-cancer scare of 30 years ago. Based on my
observations over the last 50 years or so, they'll probably be
recommending that we take lead supplements regularlty within the next 5
years. And there will probably be asbestos dust inhalers issued by the
FDA to clean your lungs. Anything the "experts" say will probably be
wrong, like the high-carb diet they touted for so long to prevent
obesity and heart attacks.

Paul

Do you remember the Woody Allen movie sleeper where he wakes up 200 years
in the future and they give him a cigarette?. He says I don't smoke and
they tell him don't worry it's tobacco, it's one of the healthiest things
for you.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Yes, and when the one scientist tells the other that Woody ran a health food
store, selling wheat germ and soy oil, the other replies in amazement,
"Didn't they have deep fried food and hot fudge sundaes?".

And of course, the 200-year-old Volkswagen Beetle they find in a cave that
starts on the first turn of the key.

Great movie; highly recommended to those who haven't seen it.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pavel314" wrote in message
. ..

If you are joking I cannot tell so I will assume that you are serious about
this.

I always let the water run for a while before drinking but mainly to let
it cool down, not over any worries about lead. This whole lead thing seems
like a scam to me, like global warming or the asbestos panic.

Asbestos panic? Have you never heard of mesotheliom or asbestosis? These
are real and very serious conditions proven to be caused by asbestos and
accepted as such around the world.

Or the
cranberries-cause-cancer scare of 30 years ago. Based on my observations
over the last 50 years or so, they'll probably be recommending that we
take lead supplements regularlty within the next 5 years. And there will
probably be asbestos dust inhalers issued by the FDA to clean your lungs.
Anything the "experts" say will probably be wrong, like the high-carb diet
they touted for so long to prevent obesity and heart attacks.

Paul

Likewise lead ingestion is proven to be a serious long term health hazard
accepted by the medical profession around the world. Did you never wonder
why leaded petrol was banned?

I am not saying that every fad diet or new thought about food or ingestion
of substances is good science - far from it. But the fact that there are
silly and unproved fads about eating does not mean you dismiss dangers that
have been supported by powerful evidence for a long time.

David