Old 22-03-2009, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Celery - Favorite recipes?

In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Old 22-03-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

I hit send too soon. Here are some other ideas:

1) Stuffing: Sautee onions and celery in butter; add to stale bread
cubes with chicken stock, salt, pepper, and sage

2) Chicken salad (or any other kind of mayo-based salad) benefits, in my
opinion, from a LARGE amount of VERY FINELY DICED celery and some finely
diced sweet onion. I'm picky about that, but it comes out really well.

3) Celery roasts very well. To roast veggies, I chop them into roughly
equal-sized chunks, toss all of them in a little olive oil and salt,
spread them out in one layer on a baking sheet lined with something
(foil, parchment, silicone, whatever) and bake at 400F, turning every
15-20 minutes or so, until the edges are all caramelized. My favorite
combo is potatoes, beets, carrots, and onions, but celery is a lovely
addition to that.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Old 22-03-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Got a chance to try out this nifty thing.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Celery+recipes

Bill who enjoys celery in tuna fish salad. Celery Seed a must in the
pantry.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 22-03-2009, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

I can use an entire bunch of celery in a stir fry... onions, bean sprouts,
napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO
pork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. Even better cold for
breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you
won't make it single, better find a mate.

Old 22-03-2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

Celery Victor is very famous. I've never made it, but here's a recipe:

http://www.saveur.com/article.jsp?ID=3781&typeID=120

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 22-03-2009, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

I use a LOT of celery in stock, but otherwise, tend to eat it raw with
tuna or chicken salad.

It also works well cooked/roasted with any other veggie combo.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 22-03-2009, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Dan wrote:

I need good ideas for
recipes including celery.

Here is a nice recipe I translated from a book I have here.

Celery baked with bone marrow
Serves 4

2 thick bunches of celery
50 g (1.8 ounces) butter
800 g (1.8 pounds) marrow bones
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons freshly grated cheese
1/2 cup Madeira wine
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

Wash the celery and cut of and discard the roots. Divide the bunches
into stalks and cut off and discard the green part (or use it for soup).
Cut each stalk in half lengthwise, removing any stringy parts.

Butter a gratin dish and place the celery stalks in it, parallel to each
other, packing them fairly tightly. Salt and pepper.

Put the marrow bones into a pot, cover with boiling water and let stand
a few minutes. Remove the marrow from the bones (this will be easy
now). Cut the marrow in pieces and layer them on top of the celery
stalks.

Using a whisk, mix the flour with Madeira wine well, so that there are
no clots. Pour over the celery. Cut the rest of the butter into bits
and dot the top with butter. Sprinkle with the cheese.

Bake in a hot oven for 40 minutes.

Victor
Old 23-03-2009, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Sun 22 Mar 2009 01:25:56p, told us...

In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

Dan

I was looking for a specific celery recipe some years ago, but didn't know
the name. Victor Sack posted this one, which was exactly what I was
looking for. The "Victor" attributed to the recipe is not Victor Sack.
BTW, I don't use the optional tomatoes or hard boiled eggs.

Celery Victor
(Celery Victor was named after Victor Hirtzler, the San Francisco chef
who created it at the St. Francis Hotel.)
To serve 6

3 bunches celery, about 2 inches in diameter
1 1/2 cups chicken stock, fresh or canned
An herb bouquet of 4 sprigs parsley, 1 bay leaf and celery leaves tied
together
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
12 flat anchovy fillets
12 strips pimiento
6 slices tomato (optional)
6 slices hard-cooked eggs (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley

Remove the outer stalks of the celery, leaving a heart about 1 inch wide
and 6 inches long. Cut each celery heart in half lengthwise. Cut away
all but small leaves and trim the root ends (do not cut too deep; the
celery halves should hold together). Use the cut-away leaves for the
herb bouquet. With a sharp knife, scrape the outer stalks if they seem
coarse.
Arrange the celery halves side by side in a 10- or 12-inch skillet,
preferably enameled or stainless steel, and pour in the stock, using
more stock or water if the celery is not completely covered. Add the
herb bouquet, with as much salt and pepper as suits your taste, and
bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to its lowest point, cover tightly and
simmer the celery for about 15 minutes, or until it shows no resistance
when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. With tongs on a slotted
spoon, transfer the celery halves to a deep platter that will hold them
in a single layer.
With a whisk, beat the vinegar and the oil together and pour over the
celery while it is still warm. Refrigerate for at least an hour before
serving. To serve, arrange the celery halves on individual chilled
plates and crisscross 2 anchovy fillets and 2 strips of pimiento over
each serving. Or instead, if you prefer, garnish the celery with a
slice of tomato and a slice of hard-cooked egg. In either case, moisten
the celery with a spoonful or so of the vinegar-olive oil sauce and
sprinkle with chopped parsley.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Old 23-03-2009, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" wrote in message

I *love* celery soup. Chop up an onion and a whole stalk (all the ribs,
that is) of celery. Sautee them in butter and/or oil with salt and
pepper until everything's softened. Add good chicken stock or some other
cooking liquid to cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes,
adding more liquid if necessary to keep them covered. At the end,
either puree or don't, depending on your preference, and then add heavy
cream.

That sounds delicious! Thanks.

Old 23-03-2009, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Serene Vannoy wrote:
I *love* celery soup.

(snip)
adding more liquid if necessary to keep them covered. At the end,
either puree or don't, depending on your preference, and then add heavy
cream.
Serene

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy
cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
Old 23-03-2009, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article ,
Serene Vannoy wrote:
I *love* celery soup.

(snip)
adding more liquid if necessary to keep them covered. At the end,
either puree or don't, depending on your preference, and then add heavy
cream.
Serene

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy
cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."

I'm not Serene, but that's what I use in all my cream soups. I freeze
them and they reheat well with some stirring. I always have evap. milk in
my pantry and don't often by cream....Sharon

Old 23-03-2009, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article ,
Serene Vannoy wrote:
I *love* celery soup.

(snip)
adding more liquid if necessary to keep them covered. At the end,
either puree or don't, depending on your preference, and then add heavy
cream.
Serene

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy
cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

Using half and half will be fine but with evap the result won't taste
anything like had you used cream... in fact you'll probably shit can it.

Old 23-03-2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:00:11 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
: good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
: For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
: going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
: recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
: know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...
:
:
:I can use an entire bunch of celery in a stir fry... onions, bean sprouts,
:napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO
ork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. Even better cold for
:breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you
:won't make it single, better find a mate.

Ah, a mate is on my agenda for certain!

LOs is something I'm very into. I don't cook in my microwave, I reheat!

Dan