Old 16-07-2009, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garden Fences

Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.
Old 16-07-2009, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Davej wrote:

Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. Deep to keep out the rabbits.
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. Maybe
a moat?

marcella
Old 17-07-2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
mj mj is offline

On Jul 16, 6:44*pm, Marcella Peek wrote:
In article
,

*Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. *Deep to keep out the rabbits. *
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. *Maybe
a moat?

marcella

electric wire. It is only about 4 feet high but has worked like a
charm this season. Not going to do much for rabbits unless you have
one real close to the ground. We have 3 rows with one being the ground
wire. Lowes or Home depot and we did it for less than $50.00.
MJ
Old 17-07-2009, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article
,
Davej wrote:

Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. Deep to keep out the rabbits.
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. Maybe
a moat?

marcella

For groundhogs 6 inches to one foot deep - then one to two feet away
from the fence. An "L" shape is needed. The critters go up to the fence
then try to dig under the fence. They run into the wire and stop. Some
groundhogs can dig three feet deep. Also for the high end it "may" be
best not to secure the top 3 feet of that six foot fence, if the
critters decide to climb it the top, the fence can droop back so they
cannot climb it. Electric wire is cool too - change that - make it hot

Just some thoughts - Fences are not cheap. It may be best to give the
deer and critters what they want at the outer fringe of the garden.
Shrubs can also make a cool looking fence, but it takes time.
Some deer can jump a six foot fence. There are deer resistant plants as
well. I prefer the dog myself

Good thing you you don't have squirrels

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 17-07-2009, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Davej" wrote in message
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

We use 4' chicken wire supported by those inexpensive green metal fence
posts. The deer don't come close to the homes because almost everyone out
here have dogs. The rabbits and other small animals do raid gardens at
night.

Old 17-07-2009, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Davej" wrote in message
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

I'm assuming you live in a rural area. If its the permanent location for
your garden, this how I would do it. Mark the perimeter about 3' further
out from your current garden. This maintains a pathway around the perimeter
of the garden. Dig a trench about a foot deep, a foot wide, add some 3/8"
rebar offset from center to allow fence post installation, and pour a
concrete curb for provisions for fence posts. While you're pouring the
concrete for the curb, install the fence posts and brace until the concrete
is set. Use 6' or higher heavy pasture fencing. You might try hardware
cloth on the bottom for little varmints, then the regular fencing above
that. You need to get inside the fenced area. Build and assemble a gate of
same height. You'll need the mounting hardware and a gate latch. Don't
trip over the curb...

A few inexpensive solar-powered ornamental lights may aid in sighting night
animals that circumvent your fence.
--
"All men are created equal"
No one said they weren't different.

Dave

Old 17-07-2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:35:31 -0700, Davej wrote:

Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

I'm using fox and coyote urine this year, it seems to have deterred the
groundhogs. The acid test will be next month when the corn is ready, then
I'll see if it works with raccoons.
Old 20-07-2009, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

*Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. *Deep to keep out the rabbits. *
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. *Maybe
a moat?

marcella

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.
Old 20-07-2009, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

*Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. *Deep to keep out the rabbits. *
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. *Maybe
a moat?

marcella

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

A 3 wire electric fence does a wonderful job of keeping the deer out.
--
Susan N.

Old 20-07-2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. Deep to keep out the rabbits.
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. Maybe
a moat?

marcella

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

What do you use for bait for groundhogs?

EJ in NJ

Old 20-07-2009, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.
Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. Deep to keep out the rabbits.
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. Maybe
a moat?

marcella

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

What do you use for bait for groundhogs?

EJ in NJ

Apple

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/
Old 20-07-2009, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

What do you use for bait for groundhogs?

EJ in NJ

Cat food works for raccoons.
Old 20-07-2009, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

*Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. *Deep to keep out the rabbits. *
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. *Maybe
a moat?

marcella

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

Hmmm ...

Again for the tough groundhogs use the "L" shape for the buried fence
wire. Also if one whistles the groundhogs may standup to check where the
sound is coming from -- making them an easier target :O

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 21-07-2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.
Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. Deep to keep out the rabbits.
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. Maybe
a moat?

marcella

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

What do you use for bait for groundhogs?

EJ in NJ

Peanut butter works best.

Setting the trap on a usual route, by a regular food source (pref.
outside the garden) or right by a hole works.

Close the traps at night if you don't want to catch skunks, raccoons or
cats. ...some cats just love peanut butter and will quite happily test
the trap for you any time of day...

Do check the traps regularly. Squirrels like peanut butter too and will
take turns in the trap.

Do not leave any animal in a trap overnight. Raccoons will mangle them.

Do not leave a skunk in the trap through the day. They can die of
stress.

Getting a skunk out of the trap without getting sprayed is an easy
enough procedure but requires some knowledge.
Old 21-07-2009, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

*Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the
fence I need around my garden.

Serious question?
Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. *Deep to keep out the rabbits. *
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. *Maybe
a moat?

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. *Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. *Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

A 3 wire electric fence does a wonderful job of keeping the deer out.

I like the idea of electric but I'm wondering if it will stop the deer
or just cause a lot of wild thrashing once they have jumped into it?
If I start with a 3ft rabbit fence and then run electric wires at 4ft,
5ft, and 6ft does anyone think that would be effective? Thanks.