Old 27-07-2009, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What's wrong with my apple tree?

Good chance the local extension office will be at farmer's market next
weekend(they had a booth last time I was there) so I will bring a leaf and
ask them then if they're there. And just to forestall any more arguing, I am
anti man-made pesticides/fungicides, etc myself. So those who would suggest
it can just save some time and NOT do it because I never will. When my
mother was pregnant with me, the place we lived at used to be orange
orchards/groves in southern California and the ground there was saturated
with dioxin/Agent Orange. As a result, I was born with serious health
issues. Doctors didn't think I'd even make it a year. Only reason I have is
because of NATURAL medicines, and I get to keep taking a handful of them
every day for the rest of my life. So don't try and tell me that you can
spray as many chemicals as you want and it doesn't hurt anything.

Old 28-07-2009, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Well, it looks like my work here is done, buckaroos. Tune in next time
to hear Bill Goat Gruff say."Doo's doodoo looks like Shelly. Is this
what they mean by defecation of character? Is it a clue?"

See ya.

If you think you won anything, you are delusional. I'm just tired
or arguing with an idiot.

Sherwin
Old 28-07-2009, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lilah Morgan wrote:
Good chance the local extension office will be at farmer's market next
weekend(they had a booth last time I was there) so I will bring a leaf and
ask them then if they're there. And just to forestall any more arguing, I am
anti man-made pesticides/fungicides, etc myself. So those who would suggest
it can just save some time and NOT do it because I never will. When my
mother was pregnant with me, the place we lived at used to be orange
orchards/groves in southern California and the ground there was saturated
with dioxin/Agent Orange. As a result, I was born with serious health
issues. Doctors didn't think I'd even make it a year. Only reason I have is
because of NATURAL medicines, and I get to keep taking a handful of them
every day for the rest of my life. So don't try and tell me that you can
spray as many chemicals as you want and it doesn't hurt anything.

I will bet the bank that they analyze it as apple scab.

There are several 'organic' fungicides available, such as copper
sulfate.

In most locations, you cannot expect to get clean apples without
spraying. Right now, my apples are being attacked by apple maggots.
I have no choice except to spray unless I want some wormy results.
You should be growing something like pears, that are much less
subject to insect attacks.

There is no telling how chemicals were misused by this former orchard.
They could have dumped their excess chemicals on the ground.
Normally, chemicals handled properly will not contaminate the ground.
Those on the fruits will disintegrate or burn off in the sun after a
few weeks. As a precaution, I never spray fruit within three weeks of
picking it.

If your extension office has an organic way of treating apple scab, I
would like to hear about it. I try and minimize my spraying through
covering of fruit and various insect traps, so I am not against
organic methods, when they are practical and will work.

Sherwin

Old 28-07-2009, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 28, 9:21*am, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sherwin- Hide quoted text -

Wow, that was a bit odd. I may not be up to date on the politics here
in the group as I am a bit of a lurker rather than a poster. The
flaming in this posting seemed to be unnecessary between billy/
sherwin, but I think you just decided to killfile Sherwin for:

1) ...stating that he thinks his analysis of apple scab was right
2) ...asking that you let the group know what the "experts" suggest
for an organic solution.

Is that accurate?

Like others, I am not the type that likes the use of pesticides and
herbicides, and would like some natural solutions to these types of
problems. So choosing what to spray and when is helpful info for me. I
certainly thought sharing what the experts suggest when you see them
was a reasonable request. I guess I have not been seeing all the posts
in here lately. For my sake though, perhaps you can share the experts
analysis and advice? I know at least I would appreciate it.

Steve

Old 28-07-2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 28, 4:06 pm, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
If that's what you want to think, go right ahead. I don't have any
inclination to keep explaining myself over and over again.

Explaining yourself over and over again? You posted one response
before deciding to killfile someone asking you to just keep us all up
to date on what gives with your apple trees!

My first thought was that I missed something or perhaps you
overreacted. But you are right, I'll go ahead and "think" what I want
based on the curt and rude response I received for asking. I could
care less if you killfile someone. I was just curious to know what
resolves your problem (or at least what is suggested) as I live in a
prime apple growing region.

God bless.
Old 28-07-2009, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada wrote:

On Jul 28, 9:21*am, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
You are now killfiled, have a nice day

Wow, that was a bit odd. I may not be up to date on the politics here
in the group as I am a bit of a lurker rather than a poster. The
flaming in this posting seemed to be unnecessary between billy/
sherwin, but I think you just decided to killfile Sherwin for:

1) ...stating that he thinks his analysis of apple scab was right
2) ...asking that you let the group know what the "experts" suggest
for an organic solution.

Is that accurate?

So it wasn't just me that was confused? That's good. I couldn't what
her problem was.

Brian

--
Day 176 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 29-07-2009, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Billy wrote:

Well, it looks like my work here is done, buckaroos. Tune in next time
to hear Bill Goat Gruff say."Doo's doodoo looks like Shelly. Is this
what they mean by defecation of character? Is it a clue?"

See ya.

If you think you won anything, you are delusional. I'm just tired
or arguing with an idiot.

Sherwin

Just doing that doo, Doo that you do so well? No one said you are wrong.
'Course no expert has said that you are right. The pivotal issue here
was having a selection of opinions from which to chose. When we respond,
we either offer our experience, our hunches, or some algorithm to solve
the question (like ask a local expert).

Let's take a little walk down memory lane.

Master Gardener's Program in Klamath Falls (Lilah lives in Klamath
County) 883-7131, http://oregonstate.edu/dept/kbrec/
- Billy

Here we go again with Billy's sending people off to the Universities
and Extension Centers. This may work for him, since his knowledge of
fruit trees is very limited. Notice Billy does this kind of
shuffling people off on fruit issues, but not on vegetable gardening
where supposedly he has more knowledge.

Sherwin

You seem to think that there is only one way to answer a question, your
way.

Good luck,

Billy, you don't seem to have any suggestions. You probably wouldn't
know a fruit tree from a fire plug.

Sherwin

And what has that to do with solving Lilah's problem? Do you see a
problem with seeking local help, doo?
--

- Billy

Billy wrote:

And your problem with seeking local, expert advice is . . . ?
Maybe if you gave yourself a good squirt of Imidan, you'd feel better
doo ;O)

Billygoat,

If I think I have an answer to a problem, I don't send people running
off to seek further help.

The original poster was very clear in describing the symptoms and even
sent a very clear picture of the malady. There was no question in my
mind that the problem is apple scab.

Why bother having a forum. Just build in a standard reply to all
poster problems to take it elsewhere to their local experts. If
nobody in this group had an inkling to an identification, sure it
might require a hands on examination, but that is not the case here.
[So you had a inkling, end of discussion?]
. . .
As for spraying, what do you propose to fix this problem, if it is
indeed apple scab. Maybe some organic fairy dust?

Why the attitude when in the next line you mention copper sulfate? But
the real question is, what do you spray, if you do, when you still
haven't conclusively identified the problem? Why spend money, until you
know what you are doing?

You have made this whole discussion a referendum on your authority, not
on providing Lilah with means for solving the problem that she is having
with her apples.

If you act like a fool Doo. People will treat you as one.

If indeed the problem is apple scab, and the method used to combat it is
copper sulfate, it will not reflect well on you, and how you chose to
limit her choices. Even you have admitted, that you await the decision
of the authorities on the matter. That's what happens when you are 3,000
mi. away.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7
Old 29-07-2009, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
[...]

What ever Lilah's reasons, they are no concern of ours, or do you deem
yourself the great decider? As you say, you may not be up to date on
Doo's passion for the most caustic of pesticides. No, he is not a total
fool, but in his past postings, he has shown no concern for the
environment beyond the fig leaf of cost analysis.

His concern about the diagnosis of apple scab went beyond diagnosis, he
had decided that no other opinion was needed, once he had stated the
obvious (to him).

True the pictures of apple scab were similar, but not exactly the same.
So why would he complain about a second opinion? Hubris.

We of wrecked gardens aren't here to ask why, but to answer as best we
know.

I would say that your two presumptions were wide of the mark (my
opinion). It is more of the reaction you might have when a bum comes up
to you and says, "Why don't you give me your money?" It's more revulsion
at the way he does it, than a reaction to what he does. I suspect that
Doo is a commercial grower, and doesn't care if there is poison on his
fruit, as long as it looks good.

I'd be surprised, if she gave you an answer because of the way you
characterized her, but I've been wrong before.

Good luck.

Old 29-07-2009, 08:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada wrote:

On Jul 28, 9:21*am, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
You are now killfiled, have a nice day

Wow, that was a bit odd. I may not be up to date on the politics here
in the group as I am a bit of a lurker rather than a poster. The
flaming in this posting seemed to be unnecessary between billy/
sherwin, but I think you just decided to killfile Sherwin for:

1) ...stating that he thinks his analysis of apple scab was right
2) ...asking that you let the group know what the "experts" suggest
for an organic solution.

Is that accurate?

So it wasn't just me that was confused? That's good. I couldn't what
her problem was.

Is that her fault, or your fault?

Brian

Old 29-07-2009, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada" wrote:

On Jul 28, 4:06 pm, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
If that's what you want to think, go right ahead. I don't have any
inclination to keep explaining myself over and over again.

Explaining yourself over and over again? You posted one response
before deciding to killfile someone asking you to just keep us all up
to date on what gives with your apple trees!

My first thought was that I missed something or perhaps you
overreacted. But you are right, I'll go ahead and "think" what I want
based on the curt and rude response I received for asking. I could
care less if you killfile someone. I was just curious to know what
resolves your problem (or at least what is suggested) as I live in a
prime apple growing region.

God bless.

You are new here, aren't you?

One suggestion, stop digging.

Old 29-07-2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

So it wasn't just me that was confused? That's good. I couldn't what
her problem was.

Is that her fault, or your fault?

I don't know. That's why I'm confused.

Brian

--
Day 177 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 30-07-2009, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

So it wasn't just me that was confused? That's good. I couldn't what
her problem was.

Is that her fault, or your fault?

I don't know. That's why I'm confused.

Brian

You mean you don't know what your problem is?;O)
Old 30-07-2009, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

William Rose wrote:

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

So it wasn't just me that was confused? That's good. I couldn't
what her problem was.

Is that her fault, or your fault?

I don't know. That's why I'm confused.

You mean you don't know what your problem is?;O)

Ah, if only.

Brian

--
Day 177 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project