Old 25-07-2009, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What's wrong with my apple tree?

All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but I'm
hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look
like, front and back: http://hopespringsfarm.angelfire.com/AppleLeaves01.jpg

Victoria, zone 5a
--
What would YOU do for a Klondike Bar?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 25-07-2009, 09:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lilah Morgan wrote:
All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but I'm
hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look
like, front and back: http://hopespringsfarm.angelfire.com/AppleLeaves01.jpg

Victoria, zone 5a

Lilah,

Looks like Apple Scab. This rainy damp weather seems to encourage this
fungus. You should spray the tree with a fungicide early in the
spring to be most effective, but you can try spraying now. The problem
may go away by itself next year, but I would give it a spray very early
in the spring. If the problem persists, you may have to continue
spraying with a fungicide through the growing season.

Sherwin
Old 25-07-2009, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Lilah Morgan wrote:
All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but I'm
hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look
like, front and back: http://hopespringsfarm.angelfire.com/AppleLeaves01.jpg

Victoria, zone 5a

Lilah,

Looks like Apple Scab. This rainy damp weather seems to encourage this
fungus. You should spray the tree with a fungicide early in the
spring to be most effective, but you can try spraying now. The problem
may go away by itself next year, but I would give it a spray very early
in the spring. If the problem persists, you may have to continue
spraying with a fungicide through the growing season.

Sherwin

We all know how much Sherwin loves to spray (nature be damned).

I'd contact your local Master Gardener's Program in Klamath at 883-7131,
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/kbrec/ first.

Good luck,
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7
Old 26-07-2009, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ers2...
All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but I'm
hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look
like, front and back:
http://hopespringsfarm.angelfire.com/AppleLeaves01.jpg

I go with Sherwin on this. I get the impression billy is implying that
spraying is evil. Quite the contrary.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/tfipm/applescb.htm

http://gardening.wsu.edu/text/treef.htm

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/organic-apple.html

Old 26-07-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ers2...
All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but I'm
hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look
like, front and back:
http://hopespringsfarm.angelfire.com/AppleLeaves01.jpg

I go with Sherwin on this. I get the impression billy is implying that
spraying is evil. Quite the contrary.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/tfipm/applescb.htm

http://gardening.wsu.edu/text/treef.htm

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/organic-apple.html

I'm not responsible for your impressions.

Instead of relying on an I.D. from 3,000 mi. away I suggested that Lilah
talk with a representative of the University of Oregon, who is not far
from where she lives. Perhaps, someone local could identify the problem.
You don't have anything against the University of Oregon, do you?

Master Gardener's Program in Klamath Falls (Lilah lives in Klamath
County) 883-7131, http://oregonstate.edu/dept/kbrec/

Old 26-07-2009, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ers2...
All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but
I'm
hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look
like, front and back:
http://hopespringsfarm.angelfire.com/AppleLeaves01.jpg

I go with Sherwin on this. I get the impression billy is implying that
spraying is evil. Quite the contrary.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/tfipm/applescb.htm

http://gardening.wsu.edu/text/treef.htm

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/organic-apple.html

Superfluous Political BS snipped .......and this deletion added back in:
"We all know how much Sherwin loves to spray (nature be damned)."

I'm not responsible for your impressions.

Well, That is a good thing as self rightous indignation does not suit you
very well.

Instead of relying on an I.D. from 3,000 mi. away I suggested that Lilah
talk with a representative of the University of Oregon, who is not far
from where she lives.

Ahh, Chapter 3...plausible denial?

All in all, you gave good advice and yet..........

You can't even follow your OWN advice in addressing Tomatobecky's post a
bit later.
How bizarre your rationale changes from one minute to the next, (one with a
pic, one without).

Perhaps, someone local could identify the problem.
You don't have anything against the University of Oregon, do you?

( You also read chapter 4 of your Propaganda 101 book, didn't you? )

Old 26-07-2009, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Lilah Morgan wrote:
[...]

Billy, you don't seem to have any suggestions. You probably wouldn't
know a fruit tree from a fire plug.

Sherwin
Old 26-07-2009, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

[...]

Here we go again with Billy's sending people off to the Universities
and Extension Centers. This may work for him, since his knowledge of
fruit trees is very limited. Notice Billy does this kind of
shuffling people off on fruit issues, but not on vegetable gardening
where supposedly he has more knowledge.

Sherwin
Old 26-07-2009, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Lilah Morgan wrote:
[...]

And what has that to do with solving Lilah's problem? Do you see a
problem with seeking local help, doo?

Old 26-07-2009, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

[...]

And your problem with seeking local, expert advice is . . . ?
Maybe if you gave yourself a good squirt of Imidan, you'd feel better
doo ;O)

Old 26-07-2009, 08:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

[...]

Doo didn't squirt you with something, did he? Have a nice rant.

Old 27-07-2009, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

And your problem with seeking local, expert advice is . . . ?
Maybe if you gave yourself a good squirt of Imidan, you'd feel better
doo ;O)

Billygoat,

If I think I have an answer to a problem, I don't send people running
off to seek further help.

The original poster was very clear in describing the symptoms and even
sent a very clear picture of the malady. There was no question in my
mind that the problem is apple scab.

Why bother having a forum. Just build in a standard reply to all
poster problems to take it elsewhere to their local experts. If
nobody in this group had an inkling to an identification, sure it
might require a hands on examination, but that is not the case here.
I have also had problems getting information about fruit growing
problems from my local botanic garden. Most have little or no
background in fruit trees. I have sometimes received help from
a university researcher, but it was not easy to reach him.

Again, I repeat, you never send people off to 'experts' with things
you supposedly are knowledgeable, like vegetables. You have some
compulsion to give advice, even if it something you know nothing
about.

As for spraying, what do you propose to fix this problem, if it is
indeed apple scab. Maybe some organic fairy dust?

By the way, there are organic sprays for fruits. In this case, she
could use copper sulfate as a fungicide and this is organic. I think
you are the one with Imidan on the brain.

Sherwin

Old 27-07-2009, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Billy wrote:

[...]

Still FUBARED, Doo? Doing that doo, Doo, that you doo so well?

So what is your degree in, Doo? Upon what do you decide that your
guesstimates don't require a review by professionals? Even if you were a
professional, most don't feel as threatened as you do with a second
opinion. Why don't we give posters the full range of options, instead of
just the world according to Doo?

Hell, give yourself 2 squirts ;O)

Old 27-07-2009, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

So what is your degree in, Doo? Upon what do you decide that your
guesstimates don't require a review by professionals? Even if you were a
professional, most don't feel as threatened as you do with a second
opinion. Why don't we give posters the full range of options, instead of
just the world according to Doo?

Hell, give yourself 2 squirts ;O)

Billygoat,

You are a fool not worth exchanging a logical arguement with.

Sherwin
Old 27-07-2009, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

So what is your degree in, Doo? Upon what do you decide that your
guesstimates don't require a review by professionals? Even if you were a
professional, most don't feel as threatened as you do with a second
opinion. Why don't we give posters the full range of options, instead of
just the world according to Doo?

Hell, give yourself 2 squirts ;O)

Billygoat,

You are a fool not worth exchanging a logical arguement with.

Sherwin

Yes Doo, just a fool who wants more than just a doodoo opinion. A man,
or goat for that matter, who dreams of having as many opinions to choose
from as he wants, so that he can pick the one best for him.

Yes Doo, it's the dawning of a new day, where one, man or goat, is free
to breath the fresh air of choice again.

Well, it looks like my work here is done, buckaroos. Tune in next time
to hear Bill Goat Gruff say."Doo's doodoo looks like Shelly. Is this
what they mean by defecation of character? Is it a clue?"

See ya.