Old 24-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Registered User

Default What to grow

Hi, I have recently moved into my first home and it has a nice - but overgrown back garden. I want to make a patch to grow some fruit and veg in but really dont know what will grow outside in the english weather. I do have space for a greenhouse would it be worth investing?

Has anyone got any sugestions about what i could grow that would give me the most yeald for the smallest space and that will be tasty.

Thanks
Old 26-09-2009, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Richard's Patch wrote:
Hi, I have recently moved into my first home and it has a nice - but
overgrown back garden. I want to make a patch to grow some fruit and
veg in but really dont know what will grow outside in the english
weather. I do have space for a greenhouse would it be worth investing?

Has anyone got any sugestions about what i could grow that would give
me the most yeald for the smallest space and that will be tasty.

Thanks

What is the climate like at your place? England isn't a huge place but
there is still quite a bit of difference between coastal Cornwall and some
northern upland moor. How about joining the local garden club and asking
the them what grows where you are.

David

Old 28-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered User

What is the climate like at your place? England isn't a huge place but
there is still quite a bit of difference between coastal Cornwall and some
northern upland moor. How about joining the local garden club and asking
the them what grows where you are.

David[/quote]

I live just near derby, not very exposed. Seem to be ok weather for england!
Old 29-09-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Richard's Patch wrote:
What is the climate like at your place? England isn't a huge place
but

there is still quite a bit of difference between coastal Cornwall and
some
northern upland moor. How about joining the local garden club and
asking
the them what grows where you are.

David

I live just near derby, not very exposed. Seem to be ok weather for
england!

Richard, a couple of things to help.

I am a very long way from Derby and so would be many others who come here
and they probably don't know the place, I don't. I don't know what "OK
weather for England" is, local rumour has it that the weather in Old Blighty
is often bloody terrible!

The kinds of edibles that you can grow depends on climate: the length of the
growing season, annual temperature range, degree of frost or freezing and in
some cases humidity. Another major factor to consider is the nature of your
soil and how much trouble you are prepared to take to amend it. I suggest
you need to do some research to find these things out or at least some of
them if you want have a chance of getting good results and to have an
international newsgroup be able to help you.

If you ask the local garden club they will already know this and much more
and can short circuit the whole enquiry by telling you directly what will
and will not grow easily. In this part of the world such folk are mainly
friendly and helpful, I would guess they are in yours too. If you are a
beginner I suggest avoiding things that would be marginal, just because it
is possible to grow some exotics where you are doesn't make it a good place
to start.

You newsreader does not seem to mark quoted text, if it can do this it will
make reading threads from multiple contributors much easier.

David

Old 29-09-2009, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Balvenieman wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

You newsreader does not seem to mark quoted text, if it can do this
it will make reading threads from multiple contributors much easier.

What you suggest may not be possible. "Gardenbanter" is a web-based
interface to several usenet gardening newsgroups. Although, the
web-based service differentiates quotes by color, it may not
distinguish them when passing to a text-based NNTP service. Also,
there seems to be a bit of a problem with the page's coding or with
the user.... I did not register and so do not know how the interface
is presented to users who reply to posts.
https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/187416-what-grow.html

From what I can determine, the entire "xxxbanter" hierarchy is a
half-baked commercial effort to capitalize on usenet. Sort of a grand
English "Googlegroups" rip, I guess you'd say. Maybe it'll get
"better". In a perfect world, of course, it simply would disappear.

You may be right but I seem to recall seeing other posters from there whose
messages had attribution by indented symbols.

Old 29-09-2009, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Balvenieman wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

You newsreader does not seem to mark quoted text, if it can do this it will
make reading threads from multiple contributors much easier.

What you suggest may not be possible. "Gardenbanter" is a web-based
interface to several usenet gardening newsgroups. Although, the
web-based service differentiates quotes by color, it may not distinguish
them when passing to a text-based NNTP service. Also, there seems to be
a bit of a problem with the page's coding or with the user.... I did not
register and so do not know how the interface is presented to users who
reply to posts.
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187416

From what I can determine, the entire "xxxbanter" hierarchy is a
half-baked commercial effort to capitalize on usenet. Sort of a grand
English "Googlegroups" rip, I guess you'd say. Maybe it'll get "better".
In a perfect world, of course, it simply would disappear.

For your needs, though, do as David suggested, and ask the local garden
club, or nurseries, about what will and will not grow easily for YOU.
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 24, 9:17*am, Richard's Patch Richards.Patch.
wrote:
Hi, I have recently moved into my first home and it has a nice - but
overgrown back garden. I want to make a patch to grow some fruit and
veg in but really dont know what will grow outside in the english
weather. I do have space for a greenhouse would it be worth investing?

Has anyone got any sugestions about what i could grow that would give
me the most yeald for the smallest space and that will be tasty.

Thanks

--
Richard's Patch

HI Richard,sounds like a great idea,have you had any sucess in finding
any info out?

Old 17-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard's Patch View Post
Hi, I have recently moved into my first home and it has a nice - but overgrown back garden. I want to make a patch to grow some fruit and veg in but really dont know what will grow outside in the english weather. I do have space for a greenhouse would it be worth investing?

Has anyone got any sugestions about what i could grow that would give me the most yeald for the smallest space and that will be tasty.

Thanks
You are smart to grow a garden. There are so many rewards to be gained from gardening. I love vegetable gardening and recently my enjoyment was enhanced by the discovery of herb gardening. I would suggest the addition of some type of herbs to your new garden (by the way congratulations on your new home). Culinary herbs are popular for obvious reasons but don't overlook the aromatics, medicinal and landscaping varieties.
__________________
Regards,

Sonny Chenoweth
Get more herb garden information
Old 24-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Registered User

A while back I got into herb gardening and love it. I got so interested that I began to write(something I seldom do) about herb gardening. I started a squidoo lens to talk about my herb gardening adventures and someone suggested posting in on Digg(whatever that is) to get more people interested in the topic. Please take a look at my "Digg" and click on the digg button. Thanks for helping get the word out about the joys of herb gardening.
http://digg.com/food_drink/Herb_Gardening_Adventures
__________________

Old 12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered User

I am in Northampton, not much difference in weather. You need to decide what you like to eat.

I like shallots, so I plant those earliest in the year in February usually.

Then if you have a greenhouse you could get some broad beans under way in pots so that you just plant them out later.

Next its the onions.

Then some potatoes in Early April ready for harvesting about mid June.

Then its cabbage plants, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, sprouting broccoli (brassica plants)

Main crop potatoes to harvest in September.

Of course there are many books of a general vegetable gardeners year. You can grow anything as long as it likes it. Shelter from the wind helps plants grow more quickly and earlier thant others in a colder area. A greenhouse is an asset as you can grow seeds to plants and plant out lettuce later after all frosts have gone. I am not an expert, but I try to grow what I like. Do email me if you want answers from someone who may not know all the answers but at least I will not laugh and will try to help.

Jonah

Old 13-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered User

Getting a greenhouse is a good idea - I've never regretted getting mine and grow tomatos, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers, chilli's as well as starting off many of my seedlings every spring. Well worth investing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post