Old 28-05-2010, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Toward food sovereignty: Reclaiming autonomous food systems [pdf]

Looks alike a long worthwhile read.

http://www.iied.org/natural-resource...sues/food-and-
agriculture/multimedia-publication-towards-food-sovereignty-re

Use the above link as below was broken now fixed by me.

From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2010.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

5. *Toward food sovereignty: Reclaiming autonomous food systems [pdf]
http://www.iied.org/natural-resource...sues/food-and-
agriculture/multimedia-publication-towards-food-sovereignty-re

The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) has
gone above and beyond in crafting this multimedia book that brings
together full color photo illustrations and linked video and audio
files. The work was
finished in 2009, and it "describes the ecological basis of food and
agriculture, the social and environmental costs of modern food systems,
and the policy reversals needed to democratize food systems." Visitors
will note that examples are drawn from all over the world, and it's easy
to download the various chapters for offline consultation.

The chapter sections include
"Local adaptive management of food-producing environments" and
"Strengthening civil society". Anyone with an interest in public health,
community organizing, and civil society will find a great deal to learn
from this publication. [KMG]

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 28-05-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

The work was
finished in 2009, and it "describes the ecological basis of food and
agriculture, the social and environmental costs of modern food systems,
and the policy reversals needed to democratize food systems."

LOL! Lordy, another one. "Why don't we get together and call
ourselves an 'Institute'" --Paul Simon.
One can't help wondering how much real good such "institutes"
that'd presume to tell the world what it "needs" could do in that same
world if they used their resources and efforts to actually DO SOMETHING
that might make some poor *******'s life a little less miserable or a
little more "sustainable" instead of promulgating yet another
"multimedia" propaganda broadsheet that accomplishes absolutely nothing
except to make a cadre of intellectual twits, mistaking "thinking"
writing and talking for actually _doing_, feel a little less guilty
about its lifestyle. I do not believe for one instant that a single
child will go to bed with a fuller tummy tonight, a year from now, or
five years from now as even an indirect result of the "efforts" of this
"Institute" or of a thousand others like it.
What the hell does the unrelenting stream of obsolete 19th-Century
"leveller" collectivist socio-economic propaganda in the ng have to do
with actual gardening, anyway? Isn't there a forum in which the
world-changers can get together to natter at each other about their
refined and superior sensibilities?

So in less than 3 hours you have pronounced judgement on a document
that you have not looked at.

I'm impressed with your physic abilities.

Old 28-05-2010, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

Looks like something that Vandana Shiva might be involved in. I look
forward to reading it.

I'm impressed with your physic abilities.

He may be right, Bill. Bal's way has the efficiency of not requiring
anyone to do anything. Being insensitive and uncaring is certainly
easier than crying doom to all who will listen. I mean, will all our
****ing and moaning be any more effective than Bal sticking his head in
the sand? God, I hope so.

In todays food news, the government is trying to figure out how bad the
doo-doo on your meat has to be before it is recalled. The presence of E.
coli affirms the presence of doo-doo, but not all E. coli are
pathogenic. The T-Rex of E. coli is E. coli 0157:O7, but there are 6
others that are nearly as bad.

"Although the federal government, and the beef and produce industries
have known about the risk posed by these other dangerous bacteria for
years, regulators have taken few concrete steps to directly address it,
or even measure the scope of the problem."

"³This is something that we really have to look at,² said Senator
Kirsten Gillibrand, Democrat of New York, who plans to introduce a bill
that would pre-empt the Agriculture Department by declaring a broad
range of disease-causing E. coli to be illegal in ground beef and
requiring the meat industry to begin testing for the microbes. ³How many
people do we have to see die or become seriously ill because of food
poisoning?²"

"A physiological quirk of E. coli O157 makes it easy to test for in the
lab, and many types of food are screened for it. The other E. coli
strains are much harder to identify and testing can be time-consuming.
The Agriculture Department has been working to develop tests that could
be used in meat plants to rapidly detect the pathogens."

You wonder if anyone has ever thought about slowing down the conveyer
belts in the abattoirs, and allowing for a cleaner, safer slaughter (for
the workers, not the animals). Still, it is good to know that our
government wants us to only eat safe doo-doo, and not sickness causing
doo-doo. Their other idea is to use radiation to sterilize the doo-doo,
but as Marion Nestlé said,"It's still (doo-doo)."

Kinda reminds me of a recent conversation about collecting rainwater off
of a roof and how sanitary that is, but with meat you have to pay for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/business/27bugs.html

May 26, 2010

In E. Coli Fight, Some Strains Are Largely Ignored
--
- Billy
Old 28-05-2010, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

Personally I believe that nothing can be done unless it presents itself
in front of you. My choices that are afforded response from remote
others can be construed to be a local decision . (What) Otherwise I
have no power and await the next impulse from without. I can yield and
help it go where it wants sometimes with a small push. Yielding to get
your own way even if I do not where that is.
Still I think food local REAL local is primay.

I have been reviewing the way I have been addressing others and I seem
to have fallen from my Ideal of always writing like I am addressing my
best friend. I think I will retire for awhile as words should not hurt.

Old 28-05-2010, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

.

Passion is good. Don't be hard on yourself, you're only human ;O)
--
- Billy

Old 29-05-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

I have been reviewing the way I have been addressing others and I seem
to have fallen from my Ideal of always writing like I am addressing my
best friend. I think I will retire for awhile as words should not
hurt.

.

That's usenet, lacking the reminder of a face or a voice it is too easy to
depersonalise whoever is typing to you. If you realise this and try to
avoid it you will be forgiven the odd lapse, at least I hope so 'cause
otherwise I have a whole lot of unforgiven errors circling out there in the
ether.

David

Old 29-05-2010, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message

Still I think food local REAL local is primay.

We have a Senator here in Australia who is quite an interesting chap. His
name is Bill Heffernan and on some issues, he's to the right of Genghis Khan
and on some issues he's quite left wing. He belongs to a party on the
right of our political spectrum but because he lives in rural Australia, he
often says things that would never be said by anyone from the city and which
I can strongly identify with.

The other day I was listening to him being interviewed and he was railing on
about climate change and food. His comment was that he didn't care two
hoots about how, why or indeed even 'if', we were suffering from climate
change. Agriculture was in a huge mess and unless and until people started
thinking more about what was in their fridge rather than what was in their
garage, the situation would continue to be a massive cock up. I'm still
thinking about that but I think that there is a fair chance that he's right.

We (as industrial western societies) don't pay enough attention to our food.

I have been reviewing the way I have been addressing others and I seem
to have fallen from my Ideal of always writing like I am addressing my
best friend. I think I will retire for awhile as words should not hurt.

Well I can understand the tempatation to rip shit out of someone especially
when they either don't read what is written or don't think before posting.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...

Working through unsent postings

What the hell does the unrelenting stream of obsolete 19th-Century
"leveller" collectivist socio-economic propaganda in the ng have to do
with actual gardening, anyway? Isn't there a forum in which the
world-changers can get together to natter at each other about their
refined and superior sensibilities?

....addressing your points in reverse order and Answering you *in kind*
and only half humourously because you put it this way, and speaking for
myself...

Why no. I won't shut up to spare your unrefined and degenerate
sensibilities.---As I feel it necessary I will speak up here on this
issue.

If you don't like it you have the ability to killfile. That is the only
censorship available to you and that I will accept.

One can't help wondering how much real good such "institutes"
that'd presume to tell the world what it "needs" could do in that same
world if they used their resources and efforts to actually DO SOMETHING
that might make some poor *******'s life a little less miserable or a
little more "sustainable" instead of promulgating yet another
"multimedia" propaganda broadsheet that accomplishes absolutely nothing
except to make a cadre of intellectual twits, mistaking "thinking"
writing and talking for actually _doing_, feel a little less guilty
about its lifestyle. I do not believe for one instant that a single
child will go to bed with a fuller tummy tonight, a year from now, or
five years from now as even an indirect result of the "efforts" of this
"Institute" or of a thousand others like it.

I don't disagree with the feeling behind this. It shows you're thinking
but it also shows you're off the beam by half a parsec.

On the ground, in my conservative Canadian city there's a whole lot of
talking going on that frustrates the doers endlessly.

Essentially we want to expand gardening into as much of the grassy
monoculture wastelands as possible and feed as many people as possible
as much as possible as inexpensively as possible; preferably as
participants, not recipients. ...but we're dealing with a monolithic
aesthetic of bureaucratic urbanized industrialized ignorance which seems
to need tons of paper to begin to justify feeding people, teaching
people to feed themselves, connecting people with the food they eat and
showing in a practical way what it takes for produce to appear on the
table.

The essence of your point is ok but doesn't account for the way things
work in political/bureaucratic culture. Having an
institution/organization behind you even if it is just a few committed
people working out of their homes is a tool to leverage against
political stupidity, inertia and capriciousness.

If you are alone in a campaign, you are ignored as being irrelevant. If
you are a spokesperson for a group of people, you are deemed at least
probably credible.