Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Getting toward the end

A couple of days ago we picked all the shell beans and they are in a
cardboard box in the family room. If I have to trip over them I
remember to shake them up a bit so they all dry. Also pulled all of
the plants from that box. Still have some Roma beans coming in.

Still have peppers (bell, jalapeno and Poblano), eggplant and a few
tomatoes coming in. Still picking blueberries. Just finished making
2 dozen bb muffins. Decided I would not tempt DH with the Blueberry
Pudding Cake.

Think I will make some Eggplant Parmigiana in a day or two. Eat some
and freeze some. Tonight it is corn pudding plus whatever else we
decide on.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

A couple of days ago we picked all the shell beans and they are in a
cardboard box in the family room. If I have to trip over them I
remember to shake them up a bit so they all dry. Also pulled all of
the plants from that box. Still have some Roma beans coming in.

i love the tactile feel of shelling and sorting
beans.

Still have peppers (bell, jalapeno and Poblano), eggplant and a few
tomatoes coming in. Still picking blueberries. Just finished making
2 dozen bb muffins. Decided I would not tempt DH with the Blueberry
Pudding Cake.

ooh! that sounds good!

Think I will make some Eggplant Parmigiana in a day or two. Eat some
and freeze some. Tonight it is corn pudding plus whatever else we
decide on.

is that like scrapple without the scraps?

songbird
Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 12:25:28 -0400, songbird
wrote:

The Cook wrote:

A couple of days ago we picked all the shell beans and they are in a
cardboard box in the family room. If I have to trip over them I
remember to shake them up a bit so they all dry. Also pulled all of
the plants from that box. Still have some Roma beans coming in.

i love the tactile feel of shelling and sorting
beans.

Still have peppers (bell, jalapeno and Poblano), eggplant and a few
tomatoes coming in. Still picking blueberries. Just finished making
2 dozen bb muffins. Decided I would not tempt DH with the Blueberry
Pudding Cake.

ooh! that sounds good!

Think I will make some Eggplant Parmigiana in a day or two. Eat some
and freeze some. Tonight it is corn pudding plus whatever else we
decide on.

is that like scrapple without the scraps?

songbird

No. Think rice pudding but with no sugar but some spices and corn.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
i love the tactile feel of shelling and sorting
beans.

If you can cop a non-tactile feel you will get into less trouble.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

Tonight it is corn pudding plus whatever else we
decide on.

is that like scrapple without the scraps?

songbird

No. Think rice pudding but with no sugar but some spices and corn.

We had a planting of sweet corn get away from us a bit (weather and
travel) so it had started to get a bit tough and doughy.

I cut the kernals off and ran them through my Italian tomato press
to get a nice, smooth paste and made corn pudding. I went with
cardamom and coriander for spices. YUMMM.

I mixed 2 eggs, 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tb flour, 3/4 tsp salt,
1 tsp cardamom, 1/2 tsp coriander, and the results of processing
eight ears of overly-mature sweet corn.

Put it in a 1 qt. baking dish and dot with butter. Bake at 325 deg
for about 1 hour.

You could add some sugar to make this a dessert dish, or change
out the spices I used for, say, rosemary to make it more savory.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
songbird wrote:
The Cook wrote:

Think I will make some Eggplant Parmigiana in a day or two. Eat some
and freeze some. Tonight it is corn pudding plus whatever else we
decide on.

is that like scrapple without the scraps?

No. Think rice pudding but with no sugar but some spices and corn.

ah, ok, thanks.

our signs that the end is coming, two nights
forecast in the mid-40s in a row.

songbird