Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Canned food.

On Dec 9, 8:25*am, phorbin wrote:
In article , Molie.7754e36
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Well, it's just canned food! In a gardening forum ... I prefer fresh
things!

London *Ontario*Canada* here...

Home canned looks pretty good when you're up to your waste in snow.

Phorbin
I think that you didn't mean quite what you said.
But it is rather funny that way.
Although maybe just a little bit "gross'"

LOL
Emilie

Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article wildbilly-93614D.22581809122010@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

waste vs. waist in snow? Don't know how your waste could make canned
food look better.

Ah... bugger...

Couldn't see that without help.

I hate it when I make unintended mistakes like that.

I'll let snow shovelling fatigue be my excuse. With all the extra
physical exertion, I'm pretty close to waisted.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:25:01 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , Molie.7754e36
says...

Well, it's just canned food! In a gardening forum ... I prefer fresh
things!

London *Ontario*Canada* here...

Home canned looks pretty good when you're up to your waste in snow.

Right now we have over a metre of snow blanketing the garden ...and the
city's been more or less shut down for 3 days.

That said, with some determination and a shovel I could harvest some
kale or some pak choi(which was still OK pre-snowfall). I just hate
ruining the view right now.

Strange weather we're having isn't it?
We must be in a snow-proof area since everywhere North, South, East &
West of us is just getting dumped on.
I'm about 50 miles east of you, just outside Cambridge and we can
still see the soil in our garden.
My daughter phoned the other day from NS, concerned about the amount
of snow in the area and I told her it was pretty bad alright, drifts
were almost up to 1/2 inch deep here ;-).

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 10, 3:44*am, phorbin wrote:
In article wildbilly-93614D.22581809122010@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

waste vs. waist in snow? Don't know how your waste could make canned
food look better.

Ah... bugger...

Couldn't see that without help.

I hate it when I make unintended mistakes like that.

Ah, but you provided a little bit of humor in these dark, dreary,
December days.

I'll let snow shovelling fatigue be my excuse. With all the extra
physical exertion, I'm pretty close to waisted.

Good one.
I noticed your slip because it reminded me of a similar one I saw once
in a mystery
I was reading:
To get over the wall..............

"(the hero) tied a rope around his waste"

OOOhhh Kayy.

Emilie

Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Ross@home
says...

Strange weather we're having isn't it?
We must be in a snow-proof area since everywhere North, South, East &
West of us is just getting dumped on.
I'm about 50 miles east of you, just outside Cambridge and we can
still see the soil in our garden.
My daughter phoned the other day from NS, concerned about the amount
of snow in the area and I told her it was pretty bad alright, drifts
were almost up to 1/2 inch deep here ;-).

LOL

This is a bit odd for London. On average a lot of weather seems to pass
to the North, South or East of London.

People think we're in the snow belt but the snow belt traditionally
begins nearer Exeter.

....And we're supposed to get either rain or snow on Sunday depending on
which way the temperature goes.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article wildbilly-93614D.22581809122010@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

waste vs. waist in snow? Don't know how your waste could make canned
food look better.

Ah... bugger...

Couldn't see that without help.

I hate it when I make unintended mistakes like that.

But it was good. Very good. Take your hat off and take a bow for a really
inventive response.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ross@home wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:25:01 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , Molie.7754e36
says...

Well, it's just canned food! In a gardening forum ... I prefer fresh
things!

London *Ontario*Canada* here...

Home canned looks pretty good when you're up to your waste in snow.

Right now we have over a metre of snow blanketing the garden ...and the
city's been more or less shut down for 3 days.

That said, with some determination and a shovel I could harvest some
kale or some pak choi(which was still OK pre-snowfall). I just hate
ruining the view right now.

Strange weather we're having isn't it?

It has been. Too much rain and too little heat for late November/December.
Thankfully today it was fine, sunny and warm and we could finally get on
with work on the new chook house.

My tomatoes will never get ripe by Xmas if this cool and rainy weather
continues. So frustrating.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote:
Molie.7754e36
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Well, it's just canned food! In a gardening forum ... I prefer fresh
things!

London *Ontario*Canada* here...

Home canned looks pretty good when you're up to your waste in snow.

i do so love the unintentinal puns...

(read "waste" as "butthole") thanks
for the giggle.

i like canned cream of asparagus soup,
but i would not even compare it to fresh
picked from the garden crunched in the
teeth immediately version of asparagus.
some things just should not be crossed
(like apples and oranges).

Right now we have over a metre of snow blanketing the garden ...and
the city's been more or less shut down for 3 days.

That said, with some determination and a shovel I could harvest some
kale or some pak choi(which was still OK pre-snowfall). I just hate
ruining the view right now.

it's well refrigerated for a while at least.

we are finally getting enough snow to cover
the ground which is going to be just in time for
the single digit temperatures.

haha, just read below that DanL is another
Techie. i lived in da Hoton for 15 years.
1 meter of snow is just getting warmed up.
the year before i left we had over 220 inches
of snow.

i remember kayaking along a shoreline of
Lake Superior in early July and seeing a
snowbank on the shoreline.

songbird (now mid michigan, usa
Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote:
phorbin wrote:
[...]

Songbird are you a techie also?

I am in the Port Huron area, getting about 6 inches of show today.
Nothing compared to the Upper Peninsula. I remember the white outs,
could not see the hand in front of my face, it snowed so hard. The two
years there averaged around 300 inches. I ran out of money and finished
my degree at Wayne State, could live at home and go to the University. I
still under estimate the cost of things.

I admit I do not think of the past often, it was 35 years ago. I sit
here and all I can remember was the Dorm name, Douglas Houghton Hall. I
do not even remember the theater or the bars names. It was mostly go to
class, study, sleep, no other life. I stayed to my self most of the
time. People came and went, never really met anyone. Since I had an
Amateur Radio License, They let me operate the local Radio Station once
in while on the top floor of the dorm.

Remember, my goal in life is to be a hermit

Old 16-12-2010, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT techies and the UP (was Canned food.

Dan L wrote:

....private e-mail would be more appropriate for this DanL...

Songbird are you a techie also?

yes, i went up there for a 4yr degree and stayed 15
years. then i went to the hills of eastern TN for a few
years, then OH for a few more and then back here
where most of my family is.

I am in the Port Huron area, getting about 6 inches of show today.

we didn't get that much, but i was glad to see it
covering the ground (insulates the plants from
the hard freeze and helps even out the temperature
so freeze/thaw cycles don't heave the plants out
of the ground).

Nothing compared to the Upper Peninsula. I remember the white outs,
could not see the hand in front of my face, it snowed so hard.

i used to go out and walk in blizzards (if you wear the
right stuff it's not as bad as it sounds). i loved that raw
feeling of things howling all around me. still though i
think my favorite times were walking when the lake effect
snow was coming down on calm nights (very very few
when the wind wasn't whipping down the canal) you could
look up and see the stars and the moon and there'd be
no clouds but snow would be floating down all around.
sometimes it even made a whispering sound.

The two
years there averaged around 300 inches. I ran out of money and
finished my degree at Wayne State, could live at home and go to the
University. I still under estimate the cost of things.

the statement i made originally said 220+ inches, but that
was a typo, it was over 330 inches that year.

I admit I do not think of the past often, it was 35 years ago. I sit
here and all I can remember was the Dorm name, Douglas Houghton Hall.
I do not even remember the theater or the bars names. It was mostly
go to class, study, sleep, no other life. I stayed to my self most of
the time. People came and went, never really met anyone. Since I had
an Amateur Radio License, They let me operate the local Radio Station
once in while on the top floor of the dorm.

i lived in DHH the entire time i was on campus (7 or 8
years total) including parts of the summers when nobody
else was around . that place has a wonderful basement
for walking through when all the lights are off. the ice
machine in the laundry room scared the crap outta me
more times than i can remember.

there was more than one radio station on campus
when i was there (WGGL public radio running out of
the ROTC building -- and the other station run by
students in Wadsworth Hall that was a place i never
actually went to). i don't recall a station in DHH, but
that could have happened and then moved before
my time. looks like you were there a few years before
me. things have changed quite a bit since i left.
we wandered through two summers ago as they were
in the middle of redoing downtown Houghton streets.

Remember, my goal in life is to be a hermit

who writes to worldwide usenet groups.

songbird
Old 16-12-2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote:
Dan L wrote:

[...]

Posting an email address on the usenet is just as bad. My real name is not
Dan or Nad. I have been on use net since the late seventies. I learn a bad
lesson when I first posted my email address. I was getting like 300 junk
mail postings a day. I could not use my computer at all, then it was
dial-up. Had to get a new address and dial in account. So I tend to keep
things in general terms here. I like to keep my distance

DHH... the basement where the laundry rooms were and playing ping-pong or
watching tv with a dozen others. I also liked the CO-ED sauna, it was real
small
HHD hall had real fireplaces in the main rooms gave the place a cozy
atmosphere.

Wadsworth, now I remember the name. I knew a couple of people their,
swapped albums with others. The only thing I like about Wadsworth was the
cafeteria opened until 9pm.

It did not seem that cold. I remember the sound of crunch crunch of walking
on the snow. Large bulldozers for snow removal. Could read a newspaper late
at night with ease with all the snow reflecting the smallest of light.

They may have moved the radio station years later. It was in a small room
on the top floor. The only fun I had there was the station. But I did not
use it more than once a month.

If I had the money I would have stayed it was a First Rate University.
Wayne State was not that bad also and cost less and more convenient.

Small world after all. Won't find an email on one of several web sites I
have.
Usenet is the closet to being public for me. I do maintain family contacts.
Christmas time will be dozens of family members getting together.
Being a hermit is a goal, so far I am a failure at it

Tennessee huh, i know people from Grundy county. Outside of Chattanooga.
That place has really changed over the years. Where old country log cabin
homes use to be are now huge mansions. The only thing in Ohio worth going
to is Cedar Point.

The world is just way to small. I admit I am keeping my email address and I
have a dozen of them, sorry. I am keeping my distance

http://www.nadrhel.com/