Old 13-05-2013, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I hate slugs!

In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:
In a late night rampage of me saving my cucumbers from the slimey devils I
ended up actually touching one with my fingers. EWWWWWWWWWWWW! I can't
stand that slime on my fingers. Is there an easier way to get that slime
off your fingers?

It's kinda nasty, but will come off with scrubbing. Try a pumice soap.

Or: Disposable gloves, or non-disposable gloves that you store very
carefully (no point in them if you get slime on the inside), after
scrubbing up as much as possible.

For moderate infestations I tend to scrape into a cup of something
(ammonia solution, lately) and for the big ones, just deal with the EWWW
and scrub up afterwards. Gloves are more fuss than I want to deal with.

I did experiment with spraying ammonia solution on them (go out at night
when you would pick and look for them to spray, not any sort of "spray
everything" approach) last year, though I found that my slugs seemed not
to mind some of the more dilute solutions that various places claimed
killed 'em dead. I ramped up until I got convincing mortality, and did
not appear to damage the plants. I don't recall exactly how far that was
- perhaps 1 part household ammonia to 3 parts water (having started at
perhaps 1:20 which appeared to be a refreshing tonic, rather than death
to slugs.) Main advantage is it's a lot faster than picking when you
have lots of small ones (and may finish off the ones you can't hardly
see to pick.) Downside would be if it burned your plants, and whatever
collateral damage it my be doing to beneficials. Thus, the cup of it
rather than spraying, unless slug-ma-geddon happens again. Iron
phosphate is probably a better solution to slug-ma-geddon, for that
matter, just not one I've tried here yet.

A cup of salt or salt solution also works, but then you have
salty-slug-mess to dispose of, and salt is rather more dire for plant
growth than ammonia. A cup of ammonia slug mess can be dumped in the
compost pile, where it will not help the compost a bit for a while, but
will eventually be sorted out by the rest of the pile.

I've watched slugs go into and then out of saucers of beer, so I stopped
putting them out. Some do die, but evidently only the ones who won't
leave the bar.

Trap boards (just boards or tiles laid flat on the ground) work very
well to make collecting some part of the population quick and simple. If
you have birds, just collect and dump and then watch the beak-wiping
antics begin (my chickens would happily eat slugs, but clearly did not
enjoy the slimy beak.)

The dream of the birds harvesting the slugs themselves foundered on the
collateral damage to the plants. Supposedly ducklings of a certain age
are better than chickens at this, but I'm not a big fan of domestic
ducks. A sibling does the bird-moat-method - a bird run all around the
garden that gastropods (and other tasty bird food) have to cross, but of
course the birds are not out feeding at night when the gastropods are.

Old 13-05-2013, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:
[...]

I bought some Iron phosphate for getting rid of them and it worked for the
ones who ate it, but other slugs just went straight for my cukes. (the sorry
@!#@$@!)

It's war, I tell ya!

--
Natural Girl

Old 14-05-2013, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:
Nelly W wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros! DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic,
to get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to
accidently ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't
kill the birds, but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

My mother had the worst slug infestation last year. I'd go out at
night & smash several dozen on the sidewalk. Within mere minutes more
were out there eating their fallen brethren. Smash & repeat.
Sluggo-type bait for the rest.

In a late night rampage of me saving my cucumbers from the slimey
devils I ended up actually touching one with my fingers. EWWWWWWWWWWWW! I
can't stand that slime on my fingers. Is there an
easier way to get that slime off your fingers?

Just suck on it, your saliva contains an enzyme that breaks it down in a few
seconds.

Old 14-05-2013, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:
Nelly W wrote:
[...]

ohhhhhhhh YUK!!!!!!! bleck!!!!!!!!!!! (cough cough)

--
Natural Girl

Old 14-05-2013, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros! DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic,
to get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to
accidently ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't
kill the birds, but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

Few none toxic methods:

Saucers of beer. Slugs crawl in and drown.

Lay down some scrap boards. Slugs will crawl under them and you can
turn them over an remove the slugs in the morning.

Sprinkle of salt on them will kill them.

Just for laughs .. should I use light beer or the regular stuff?

I use the light beer or bud-miller-coors that someone brought to a party.

Old 14-05-2013, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:
Nelly W wrote:
[...]

Try stepping on one with bare feet on the way to the hottub.

Old 14-05-2013, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/13/2013 8:20 PM, Bob F wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
Nelly W wrote:
[...]

double ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

--
Natural Girl

Old 14-05-2013, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/13/2013 8:20 PM, Bob F wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
Nelly W wrote:
[...]

Actually, that was my thought at the time.

Old 14-05-2013, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob F wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/13/2013 8:20 PM, Bob F wrote:
Natural Girl wrote:
Nelly W wrote:
[...]

ya practically have to scrub your skin off to get the slime off! Hope you
didn't slip and slide and fall!

--
Natural Girl

Old 16-05-2013, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 09 May 2013 12:18:55 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to
get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently
ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds,
but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

Look for Iron Phosphate snail bait.

Chemicals? How uncaring and environmentally unfriendly. Probably adds to
Global warming as well! Killing all chemists would probably be a good
start to saving the planet.

I'd suggest a nice lawn chair by the garden and a .45 government model.
They move pretty slow so it gives you lots of time to aim and pick them
off.

Glad I could help.

Old 16-05-2013, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Natural Girl" wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic,
to get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to
accidently ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't
kill the birds, but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

Look for Iron Phosphate snail bait.

Chemicals? How uncaring and environmentally unfriendly. Probably adds
to Global warming as well! Killing all chemists would probably be a
good start to saving the planet.

I'd suggest a nice lawn chair by the garden and a .45 government
model. They move pretty slow so it gives you lots of time to aim and
pick them off.

Glad I could help.

hahaha 'aim and pick them off' LOLOL

--
Natural Girl

Old 18-05-2013, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , says...

hahaha 'aim and pick them off' LOLOL

FWIW

We have used iron phosphate based slug bait successfully.

We've also used barriers of different types.

'because I like Lee Valley (check out their garden tools too)

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,51555,51241

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...97&cat=2,51555

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...85&cat=2,51555

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...33&cat=2,51555

and some info from university extension programs...

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/995

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05515.html

And in the interests of online research...

https://startpage.com

copy the search criteria below and paste into the search field.

domain:edu +slugs +garden +problem

(note the lack of a space between the colon and 'edu')

The search is limited exclusively to the .edu domain and eliminates the
diy 'about' and 'how to' and commercial sites. -- Alternately, you can
use the advanced search page.

I hate spidermites James Gardening 6 07-04-2003 01:56 AM
Bamboo - Love it or hate it M NG Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM