Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I hate slugs!

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all manner of
evil to the slugs?

--
Natural Girl

Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all manner of
evil to the slugs?

Few none toxic methods:

Saucers of beer. Slugs crawl in and drown.

Lay down some scrap boards. Slugs will crawl under them and you can
turn them over an remove the slugs in the morning.

Sprinkle of salt on them will kill them.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros! DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic,
to get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to
accidently ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't
kill the birds, but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

Few none toxic methods:

Saucers of beer. Slugs crawl in and drown.

Lay down some scrap boards. Slugs will crawl under them and you can
turn them over an remove the slugs in the morning.

Sprinkle of salt on them will kill them.

Just for laughs .. should I use light beer or the regular stuff?

--
Natural Girl

Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/9/2013 1:36 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros! DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic,
to get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to
accidently ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't
kill the birds, but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

Few none toxic methods:

Saucers of beer. Slugs crawl in and drown.

Lay down some scrap boards. Slugs will crawl under them and you can
turn them over an remove the slugs in the morning.

Sprinkle of salt on them will kill them.

Just for laughs .. should I use light beer or the regular stuff?

I guess whatever is cheapest.
One caution is to know who your neighbors are.
You might drown one.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
[...]

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

--
Natural Girl

Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all manner of
evil to the slugs?

Look for Iron Phosphate snail bait.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html
Iron phosphate baits‹available under many trade names including Sluggo
and Escar-Go‹have the advantage of being safe for use around children,
domestic animals, birds, fish, and other wildlife, making them a good
choice for an integrated pest management program in your garden.
Ingesting even small amounts of the bait will cause snails and slugs to
stop feeding, although it can take several days for the snails to die.
You can scatter the bait on lawns or on the soil around any vegetable,
ornamental, or fruit tree that needs protection. Iron phosphate baits
can be more effective against snails than slugs overall and more
effective than metaldehyde during periods of higher humidity. Snails and
slugs tend to hide before they die, so you wonıt see scattered empty
shells or dead snails and slugs as you would if treating them with
metaldehyde.*

Home Despot has an in house brand that is/was cheaper than Sluggo.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros! DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic,
to get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to
accidently ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't
kill the birds, but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

Look for Iron Phosphate snail bait.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html
Iron phosphate baits and Escar-Go domestic animals, birds, fish,
and other wildlife, making them a good choice for an integrated pest
management program in your garden.
Ingesting even small amounts of the bait will cause snails and slugs
stop feeding, although it can take several days for the snails to die.
You can scatter the bait on lawns or on the soil around any vegetable,
ornamental, or fruit tree that needs protection. Iron phosphate baits
can be more effective against snails than slugs overall and more
effective than metaldehyde during periods of higher humidity. Snails
and
slugs tend to hide before they die, so you wonıt see scattered empty
shells or dead snails and slugs as you would if treating them with
metaldehyde.

Home Despot has an in house brand that is/was cheaper than Sluggo.

Thanks for the suggestiong, Billy. I'll see if I can find some as Home
Depot.

--
Natural Girl

Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Natural Girl wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:

[...]

ackkkkkkkkkkkkk!! typo .. that's supposed to be: suggestion!

--
Natural Girl

Old 10-05-2013, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Natural Girl" wrote in message

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros! DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all manner
of evil to the slugs?

A saucer of beer. Or a bowl of diluted Vegemite or Marmite or Promite (but
that advice only applies if you live in a place where yeast spreads are
understood and appreciated).

Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all manner of
evil to the slugs?

Someonw here claims that epson salts keeps the slugs away and also acts
as a fertilizer but use sparingly.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...172027231.html

John

Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/12/2013 9:28 AM, John wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all
manner of
evil to the slugs?

Someonw here claims that epson salts keeps the slugs away and also acts
as a fertilizer but use sparingly.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...172027231.html

John

I read that somewhere, too, so I bought some. Yesterday, I mixed a spray
solution of 4T Epsom salts + 2T of unsulphured molasses + 1oz of fish
emulsion fertilizer + about 4T composted ckn poop tea and filled the
30oz hand sprayer with that and the rest was captured rain water. So, I
sprayed all of my peppers, cucumbers, & tomatoes with it and had about
1/3 of it left. Thirty minutes later it rained and washed it all off,
so when it stopped raining, I emptied the rest and re-sprayed everything
again. It didn't rain again this time. I took a look at the plants
today and they haven't turned brown or died, so I guess it's doing it's
job. They even look greener today. smile

--
Natural Girl

Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/12/2013 1:57 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/12/2013 9:28 AM, John wrote:
[...]

Plants prefer pure H2O so no proof there, the long haul tells the tale.

I don't know if it works or not but tomatoes and peppers along with
other stuff goes in at the end of the month and the those two are highly
recommended for liking Epson salts. So I intend to give it a go here in
SW Pennsylvania, USA.

My son, who couldn't wait to plant, texted me earlier (lives next door
in the state of Ohio) lamenting the fact that a freeze is expected there
tonight. I could only tell him that they sell plastic drop cloths by the
roll. --- LOL

We have many wild roses that despite my best attempts at mutilation keep
up the faith year after year so I will probably try the solution on them
as well.

The scallions are just coming up and looking particularly tasty ... must
resist ...

Hope it works for you
John

Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default epsom salts: (was: I hate slugs!

Billy wrote:
http://www.redding.com/news/2013/mar...y-other-steps-
before-adding-to/
[S]ymptoms of magnesium deficiency appear in older leaves, which show
yellowing leaf edges and eventually nearly white veins, the rest of the
leaf remaining green, a ³Christmas tree pattern,² as the University of
California-Davis calls it. This usually happens where soil is acidic,
and neutralizing it with dolomite lime will take care of the magnesium
deficiency.

Only if a large number of leaves is affected would one spray with a
dilution of Epsom salts (MgSO4) and then in a ratio of a pinch to a
gallon.

The good news is that if you enrich your soil with organic matter
(finished compost, well-rotted manure and the like) several times a
year, you can grow healthy plants without the addition of anything but
nitrogen.

Most of our soils contain all of the nutrients needed for a healthy
garden, but our hot summers bake these nutrients out, so you need to
replace them. Attn: songbird

or keep the ground covered with green stuff
and mulches.

growing a mixed legume cover crop should supply
plenty of nitrogen when turned under, wait a few
weeks and then plant.

if you need an extra boost of nitrogen and there
is no time to grow a cover crop then the nutrients
provided by worm poo (made from mixed scraps) is a
much better additive.

songbird
Old 13-05-2013, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all manner of
evil to the slugs?

My mother had the worst slug infestation last year. I'd go out at night
& smash several dozen on the sidewalk. Within mere minutes more were out
there eating their fallen brethren. Smash & repeat. Sluggo-type bait for
the rest.

Old 13-05-2013, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nelly W wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros! DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight, I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic,
to get rid of the slimey pests. I don't want any birds to
accidently ingest something and die, so what can I use that won't
kill the birds, but will do all manner of evil to the slugs?

My mother had the worst slug infestation last year. I'd go out at
night & smash several dozen on the sidewalk. Within mere minutes more
were out there eating their fallen brethren. Smash & repeat.
Sluggo-type bait for the rest.

In a late night rampage of me saving my cucumbers from the slimey devils I
ended up actually touching one with my fingers. EWWWWWWWWWWWW! I can't
stand that slime on my fingers. Is there an easier way to get that slime
off your fingers?

--
Natural Girl

I hate spidermites James Gardening 6 07-04-2003 01:56 AM
Bamboo - Love it or hate it M NG Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM