Old 22-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default basil and cilantro

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message

Sure. As long as they can get sunshine - but you'd probably
need to remove them from the windowsills at night or they'd
freeze. Just put them somewhere else at night.

I'll remember that. We have one window that gets sun all day long, so I
think it would be a perfect space for a little herb garden!

Give it a try! You've very little to lose. Being
experimental with gardening is fun, IMHO.

BTW, I didn't mention it, but I use either seed-starting mix
or Pro-Mix in the loafpans. Either seems to work well.

I'll look for something similar. I'm sure we must have something like that
in Manitoba. Off to the grocery/gardening store I go!

rona

Old 22-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:31:44 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
.. .

Sure. As long as they can get sunshine - but you'd probably
need to remove them from the windowsills at night or they'd
freeze. Just put them somewhere else at night.

I'll remember that. We have one window that gets sun all day long, so I
think it would be a perfect space for a little herb garden!

Yes, it sounds that it would be a good place.

Try parsley, rosemary, chives, cilantro (of course), one of
the smaller basils (there's a globe basil reputed to be
smaller, although I've not grown it yet myself.)

Pat
Old 23-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:50:19 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

A little shade, not all shade.

Soooo...what is a little shade? I had the plants on the north side of the
house, which gets sun pretty much all day. The east side gets sun most of
the day, but shade in the afternoon. If I keep the cilantro outside, would
it be better to keep it on the east side or the north side? There is an
area right next to the house on the north side, which does not get as much
sun because it is shaded by the house.

A little shade is like "keep moist but don't over-water" or "plant in
well-drained soil." :-) I lack, and so am crazy for, "full sun." The
minimum for "full sun" is 6hrs/day. Dawn to dusk (i.e., in the middle
of an open field) is better. "Partial shade" is like "partly cloudy"
-- that is, mostly sunny. I've sure seen a lot of different cilantro
advice here and elsewhere. Around here, whether from sun or heat, or
my ineptitude, it does best in cooler weather -- otherwise makes a
happy little plant that quickly bolts (blooms and goes to seed) before
I can gather more than 3 leaves for cooking. My expert opinion would
be to try keeping one planting of cilantro on the east; one on the
north; and see what happens. This site had some reasonable-looking
advice.

http://www.umassvegetable.org/soil_c..._cilantro.html

So much of gardening has to do with experience. For every mention of
"full sun" there'll be anectodal accounts of growing something in the
bottom of a closet. You have to weigh hints & tips with care. Make
your own experiments. Check with neighbors in your own area. There are
very few formulas that are followed by guaranteed success.

I Always Say the first rule of gardening is "Plants die." And the 2nd
is "There's always next year." Perhaps rule 1a is that plants *want*
to grow and most will tolerate a large range of conditions. And
sometimes they just seem to turn their toes up for no reason at all.
Just keep at it. :-)
Old 24-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Joanne

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:50:19 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

A little shade, not all shade.

Soooo...what is a little shade?

[...]

Yeah, what Frogleg said! It's all an experiment! That's half the fun.
Try different locations and observe. Really, there are no truely easy
answers. My cilantro gets about 4-5 hours of full sun each day.

Suggestion:
Cilantro about to bolt? Puree it with a little olive oil and freeze in
an ice cube tray. Once frozen, put the cubes in a freezer bag to use
later. Just an idea that works for me.

jcm
Canadian zone 5b, don't know my U.S. zone equivilant, not sure if I
care.
No offence!
Old 24-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Dave Allyn

I thought if
Martha Stewart did it, then I could do it too!

I would be very careful with this argument if you have any investments
or own any companies......

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

Old 19-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:38:59 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

So, I transplanted the basil and cilantro plants in larger planters. Now
half of them are dead. I did water them but the weather had been strange
here. Hot and sunny one day, rainy the next, so it is possible the soil was
very dry for at least a day, or overwatered. How wet do these plants need
to be? I read the little paper I got with them, and it just said to keep
the soil moist.

Yeah. How moist is "moist"? Roughly, it means growing in soil that
has enough organic material to prevent either extremely rapid drying
out, or water standing in a pot or on the ground. Directions for
growing many plants say "does not like to be transplanted." I wouldn't
think basil was one of these, as it's often sold in little 6-packs and
seems to transplant well. I always sow cilantro seed where I plan the
plants to live, however. The good news is that cilantro is *very* easy
to grow from seed. Repeated plantings are suggested to keep a
reasonable supply going. You don't even need to buy seed packets --
just find a jar of coriander seed and plant some.

Also, I'm wondering if the round-up I used on some weeds nearby had a
negative effect on the plants. I did not spray the round-up on the plants
or on an area touching the planters (but it was one or two feet away) and
there was no wind to speak of, which is why I used it at that time (I
wouldn't have if it had been windy, since I would have been afraid of the
wind carrying the round-up to my new babies). How much does that round-up
stuff travel? Even if there were no wind, could it have hit my plants some
other way?

How far does a sneeze travel? Roundup is a *very* effective herbicide.
1 or 2 feet away from new little plants is pretty close.. Roundup does
its work on exposed foliage. It decays quickly (within a 2-4 days) and
has no effect on subsequent planting in the treated area. Very
meticulous gardeners wanting to kill specific plants/weeds *paint* it
on with a brush or sponge to avoid the effect of aerosol spraying.

We once had a neighbor that applied a herbicide on a windy day and we
had extensive damage near the property line. Fortunately a small hill
protected our koi pond but we lost around 20 plantings due to his
carelessness. My beautiful euphorbias croaked first within an hour!
Anything with lush green foliage (like peas) got hit the worst. A few
things managed to come back like my climbing hydrangea but the damage
was both expensive and heartbreaking. A few of my heritage roses never
came back and all he could say was that he thought it was not windy and
that was why he did not spend a lot of money on plantings.
Old 20-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Slofolk

Roundup is also toxic for some of us people.

Your neighbor should reimburse you to replace what he killed (and
the cost of having it planted), I know that won't make it OK -
but maybe he'll think before he sprays again. What he did was
just criminal in my book - for plants to croak within an hour he
must have gone through gallons. My sympathies!

We have a neighbor that pulled all the honeysuckle off of our
fence when he moved in (I know it's a weed, but I liked it and it
had grown there for years while their lot was empty.) and killed
what he could on both sides... I walked outside one day to hear
the fence pickets breaking as he pulled.... then had the gall to
tell me the fence needed to be replaced. [I just thought, too
bad...not going to happen... ]

Sara

"Phaedrine Stonebridge" wrote
in message

Old 20-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
"Slofolk" wrote:

Roundup is also toxic for some of us people.

Indeed!

Your neighbor should reimburse you to replace what he killed (and
the cost of having it planted), I know that won't make it OK -
but maybe he'll think before he sprays again. What he did was
just criminal in my book - for plants to croak within an hour he
must have gone through gallons. My sympathies!

They never offered a thing despite strong hints. Some people are just
like that. They seemed to think that if our yard didn't comply with
their "gardening" methods, that was just tough. We moved away from
there about 5 years ago. They were putting in a pool and one of the
contractor's concrete trucks backed into my mailbox which was fastened
to one side of a beautiful trellis my DH had designed and built. Mr.
Concrete flattened two gorgeous centifolias, two rugosas and my
Villechenblau. Well that was the last straw LOL.

Old 23-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Bob

"Phaedrine Stonebridge" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Slofolk" wrote:

Roundup is also toxic for some of us people.

Indeed!

Your neighbor should reimburse you to replace what he killed (and
the cost of having it planted), I know that won't make it OK -
but maybe he'll think before he sprays again. What he did was
just criminal in my book - for plants to croak within an hour he
must have gone through gallons. My sympathies!

They never offered a thing despite strong hints. Some people are just
like that.

Your state EPA might have been of assistance. Your neighbor is responsible
for the results of his spraying, as I'm sure the EPA would be happy to tell
him.

A neighbor of mine sprayed his neighbor's hedge because he didn't like it.
When the WA state EPA found out, they sent someone out who took samples of
the damage for testing, then had a serious talk to the then 84 year old
vandal.

Bob

Bob

Old 23-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

"Slofolk" wrote:

[...]

Wow, isn't that interesting. I fear the EPA in Missouri is still so
busy with all the dioxin/benzine/etc dumping problems that they'd never
bother with something like that but I hope I am wrong.

Maybe I will try to grow euphorbias again, then. I have not grown them
since that incident because I feared they were too sensitive to
herbicide drift. I forget the cultivar but mine had lush green foliage
almost like pea vines in texture, with beautiful striking yellow flowers.