Old 17-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Rez

Default Damaged tomato plant survival/production?

In article fc.003d094101c5d8ae3b9aca002e8c3c27.1c5d96c@pmug. org, (Glenna Rose) wrote:
writes:
All of the ones I've grown fall into that category. Much depends on when
they are picked (degree of ripeness). That year's growing conditions,

Ah. When would you ideally pick them?

undoubtedly, figure into it as well. In my experience, the tomatoes with
the most solid flesh are Romas (definitely not woody) and nearly any

I don't think I've ever had Romas. I'm not a tomato conne-- er, nut
(take that, stupid app with no spellchekker), just like 'em as an
occasional fruit. Peeled and sliced with a little sugar. g

tomato used primarily for paste. They are not my favorite for fresh
eating but cannot be beaten for dried tomatoes or for "fleshing out" juice

Ah. I throw the ugly tomatoes into soup and potroast type dishes for
flavour, so they'd be good for that.

and sauce. Remember, however, that I've been very spoiled with the many
varieties I've grown; it's difficult to choose favorites.g

ggg

For a brief description of many of the heirlooms, go to:
http://www.millenniumfarms.bizland.com/id12.html
That only lists plants they currently offer, but it will give you some
ideas.

looks BLACK tomatoes? Never heard of such a thing.

The tomatoes pictured on my web page were those offered by Millennium the

I think I went there the other day, but no URL in your sig today? My
connection is so slow, and worse than usual lately, that I didn't stay
to load images.

current year that I had grown (and photographed) the previous year. They
are sliced to give an idea of the "seed pattern" so might be helpful for

Ah, that'll be worth looking at when I have time. Just what I was
hoping for!

those varieties. I grew many more than pictured, but those are the ones
photographed and "assembled" for the labels. The slices are the same
tomatoes shown whole and were put together with PhotoShop. It seemed only

Ya know, most people use Photoshop to create human porn, not tomato
porn g

were to photograph them now, I wouldn't be so fussy about having at least
two because I could assemble the photos from singles. The shapes/sizes
vary somewhat each year dependent upon growing conditions.

I've seen plants that make all sorts of weird shaped fruit. Not here,
but the random ones my grandmother planted in Montana. Once we got one
with Mickey Mouse ears.

Stupice is a good all-around variety, one of the early bearers, prolific,
flavorful (though *not* a brandywine or sun gold g), good for fresh
eating or cooking. If one were going to have only one variety for
all-around use, that would be the one to choose. It's a heirloom and is
very popular with those who know about it. I know several people who grow
only stupice.

Check Millennium's page, and that will answer some questions. :-)

Cool, thanks.

Home Depot had sets of 6 different "heirloom varieties" last week,
didn't know if they were good ones or not... don't remember the names
by now tho

~REZ~
Old 17-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Rez

In article , Katra wrote:
Despite this abuse, and being pruned once by sheep, they grew into
monstrous bushes and had lots of fruit. Tomatoes evidently are too
dumb to know when they're dead.

The only thing they are unforgiving about is lack of fertilizer... Even

Yep, that was about the only thing that would slow 'em down.

then they will produce, but the plants just stay small. I'm running into

Here if you don't at least give them some manure, they don't do much
but sit there looking pale and pathetic (our soil has NO nitrogen).
But it takes very little to turn them into man-eating monsters, as the
ones fertilized only with insecticidal soap demonstrated

~REZ~

Old 17-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Rez

In article , Katra wrote:
Since you evidently know varieties -- what types of tomatos have
fairly solid flesh, relatively free of "tomato snot" yet without
those woody-textured areas some fleshy tomatos have?? For eating

Ever tried golden tomatoes?
They tend to be less acidic.

Yes, but IIRC didn't like the flavour (been years ago).

If you want less "snot", grow Romas. :-)

That makes two recommendations for 'em ...

Plum tomatoes are pretty fleshy too, and OH so sweet.

Plum tomatoes??

~REZ~
Old 17-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Al Dykes

In article et,
Rez wrote:
In article , Katra wrote:
Despite this abuse, and being pruned once by sheep, they grew into
monstrous bushes and had lots of fruit. Tomatoes evidently are too
dumb to know when they're dead.

The only thing they are unforgiving about is lack of fertilizer... Even

Yep, that was about the only thing that would slow 'em down.

then they will produce, but the plants just stay small. I'm running into

Here if you don't at least give them some manure, they don't do much
but sit there looking pale and pathetic (our soil has NO nitrogen).
But it takes very little to turn them into man-eating monsters, as the
ones fertilized only with insecticidal soap demonstrated

How hard is it to over-fertilize ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old 17-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Mutti Pie

Dr. wrote:

Is it worth giving this plant a chance? I have enough (15) tomato plants
that I don't really need a huge harvest off of it. It, along with about a
dozen other heirloom varieties, I'm growing for the first time this year.
I'd at least like to get a few tomatoes off of that plant to see how good
they are.

You bet! Every year we put in about 35 varieties for a total of 90-110
plants. One year we dug in this hard clay like soil which was pretty
dry with a post hole digger about 18" deep. We then put in our plants
to the top two leaves. Some of the tomatoes had almost snapped stems
due to the "help" of our 5 and 1 yo children. Then we received
unexpectly 3" of rain in a 24 hour period. The tomatoes sank until they
were (some of them) in a 6" hole. We did what we always do - caged them
(6' high cattle fencing), newspapered around them and in the 4 foot rows
between them, then heavily strawed. Our plants were about our average -
7 feet tall by 4 feet wide and the yield was great.
'
If anyone is interested in which varieties, and would like comment on their
experience with them, they a

1884

great flavor

Brandywine Red

love all the brandywines
Costoluto Fiorentino

difficult to clean

Green Zebra

Love them - make great "green tomato pickles"

Also you might like -

Ivory egg (bushy, very prolific, duck egg size ivory)

Chocolate Plum (Tall, water tolerant, make the best paste I have ever
eaten or dried)

Snow white (beautiful large slicer that makes wonderful "ivory" tomato
sauce)

Orange Oxheart (very low acid, huge. Literally the size of an ox heart.
Beautiful slicer moderate producer)

Good luck,
Mutti Sabo
Illinois

Old 17-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Mutti Pie

I love to side dress mine with 3 - 4 " of rabbit poop! I will have to
try the duck poop tea. How do you make it (seeing visions of me
following our ducks around with a cup of boiling water).

Mutti
Illinois

Katra wrote:

The only thing they are unforgiving about is lack of fertilizer... Even
then they will produce, but the plants just stay small. I'm running into
that this year, the soil in the main garden is getting very depeleted. I
need to go and pour some duck poop tea at the base of those plants! The
ones in the large planter next to them that have fresh soil from the
henyard are literally 3 times the size! :-)

My bad......

K.

Old 17-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Dr.

"Mutti Pie" wrote in message

Dr. wrote:

[...]

Well, I've received some very positive replies regarding my topped plant. It
still looks just as healty as the rest of them, so I think it will be just
fine.

I'm rather new to gardening. Bought the house 4 years ago, and have had a
garden for 3. This is the 2nd year I've started my tomatoes and peppers from
seed. Last year everything turned out great. Hopefully this year will be
good also. The only concern is the size of the seedlings. After 7 weeks,
they were gigantic. Not leggy, just huge. I left them on the heat mat the
whole time, which may have caused that. Next year, I'll either start them
later, or take them off the mat after germination.

'
If anyone is interested in which varieties, and would like comment on

their
experience with them, they a

1884

great flavor

Agreed. I grew this one last year. I never knew tomatoes could taste that
good.

Brandywine Red

love all the brandywines
Costoluto Fiorentino

difficult to clean

Green Zebra

Love them - make great "green tomato pickles"

Also grew this one last year. All the rest I listed I'm growing for the
first time.

Also you might like -

Ivory egg (bushy, very prolific, duck egg size ivory)

Chocolate Plum (Tall, water tolerant, make the best paste I have ever
eaten or dried)

Snow white (beautiful large slicer that makes wonderful "ivory" tomato
sauce)

Orange Oxheart (very low acid, huge. Literally the size of an ox heart.
Beautiful slicer moderate producer)

Thanks for those suggestions. I've taken note of them. Next year will
probably be mostly new varieties, along with a few favorites from this year.
The 1884 I believe will always have a spot or two reserved for it.

Gary

Good luck,
Mutti Sabo
Illinois

Old 17-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Dr.

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101c5c2283b9aca002e8c3c27.1c5c279@p mug.org...
ed writes:

I grew a Green Zebra plant last year. I received a free pack of seeds for
them when I placed an order with a seed company for some other seeds.

They
made wonderful salsa, with diced avocado, sweet bell pepper, fully ripe
cubanelle pepper, thoroughly seeded and deveined Habanero pepper, sweet
onion, garlic, and cilantro. They made great tasting stewed tomatoes

also.

LOL. Stewed, eh? Mine never made it that far except for an occasional
one in tomato juice (drop ripe/over-ripe/not-pretty ones in a container
daily for juice). At least half wound up in tomato baskets for friends.

Last year we gave some away, but not many. There were 10 plants, and just
two of us... so we had more than we could eat fresh. The stewed ones were
great with fresh raviolis, rigatoni, or numerous other dishes. We have a
large freezer, so we put them in quart size ziplock bags. Much less work
than canning, and the tomatoes were still excellent after unthawing.

Tomato baskets: Throughout the year, I pick up small baskets at Goodwill,
Salvation Army, etc., to fill with tomatoes to give away. With the
varieties grown, they look more like Easter baskets than veggies. Often,
I add a few sprigs of various herbs. People ask if I want the baskets
back, and I tell them when empty to fill them with something else and pass
them on. Sometimes one returns to me with goodies in it. Yesterday, a
friend who works at the drive-up window at the bank returned one which I
had given her with fresh eggs and herbs in it; she had filled it with
Creme-Savers which I love. I got the better end of that deal!

Good idea! Maybe I'll borrow that idea to earn some bonus points with the
Boss...

Nice page. I also have a page set up (well, partially). Sounded like a
good
idea at the time, but I never get around to updating/completing.

Thank you. I definitely understand about the updating since mine hasn't
been for nearly two years! LOL

It was great to have it made, however, because I have it local on my iBook
so was able to show my grandmother the garden. She and Grandpa farmed and
made at least weekly trips from the Yakima Valley to Portland Farmers'
Market (when it was a *real* farmers' market with trucks full of produce
for stores/restaurants). That was way back when what is now I-84 wasn't
and the highway went through Crown Point, etc. (Yup, I can remember that
far back.g) We'd leave their place shortly after midnight to get to
Portland early; the early arrivers sold out while late meant maybe not
selling. They always had top-notch produce so always sold everything. It
was quite an experience for a young child. How I wish I had photos of it.

I love markets. This weekend is our annual trip to the Detroit farmers'
market. There are quite a few small growers that set up there. We get there
early and spend the whole day shopping. Maybe I'll find a couple unusual
tomato seedlings I'll have to dig up more sod to plant.

Please keep it posted on your special-attention tomato plant. :-)

So far, it looks fantastic. Growth is noticable daily. I gave them all a
drink of fish emulsion, and they seem to be really grooving on it. Never
used it before. Will see how the 20 or so houseplants do on it also.

Gary

Glenna

Old 17-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Dr.

"Thomas" wrote in message
It won't bother it. In fact, there is a school of thought that to

increase
production of tomato flowers and fruits is to (literally) beat or flog the
plant. I have read of this many times, but not tried it. I've had plants
that have the main stalks split in half almost to the ground. They will
repair themselves and continue to produce.
you don't have to pamper your tomatoes.

Looks like I have nothing to worry about. The plant is looking great. Last
year I lost 3 seedlings to a rabbit that squeezed under the fence. This
year, I'm determined to have all survive.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 18-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Anonymous

On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:38:42 -0400, Dr. wrote:

If anyone is interested in which varieties, and would like comment on
their experience with them, they a

(clip)
Drubza

(clip)
I planted Druzba this year, along with 3 other heirloom varieties. I
was planting early, rushing the season and all got caught by a frost.
Druzba has proven to be the least cold-hardy of the lot. Although several
of the others were damaged by the frost, most of them have recovered. I
lost exactly 1/2 of the Druzba.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Old 18-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Rez

In article , "Dr." wrote:
Agreed. I grew this one last year. I never knew tomatoes could taste that
good.

Same with most produce. Once you've had tree-ripened fruit, the stuff
in the grocery is just -- inedible. Especially peaches!! I swear you
could use the grocery peaches for baseballs.

~REZ~
Old 19-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Dr.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.05.18.04.39.17.180559@notarealserver .com...
On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:38:42 -0400, Dr. wrote:

If anyone is interested in which varieties, and would like comment on
their experience with them, they a

(clip)
Drubza

(clip)
I planted Druzba this year, along with 3 other heirloom varieties. I
was planting early, rushing the season and all got caught by a frost.
Druzba has proven to be the least cold-hardy of the lot. Although several
of the others were damaged by the frost, most of them have recovered. I
lost exactly 1/2 of the Druzba.

Bill

Ouch. I'll make not of that.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 30-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Bill

Glenna Rose wrote:

writes:
In article fc.003d094101c5b4513b9aca002e8c3c27.1c5b479@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:
writes:
I grow a lot of heirlooms some of which can be seen on my 2002 web page
(*very* outdated with the last entries made in August of 2002, lazy
webmaster here g). Scroll all the way to the bottom for thumbnails of
larger images of signs for friends who sell tomato plants.

Since you evidently know varieties -- what types of tomatos have
fairly solid flesh, relatively free of "tomato snot" yet without
those woody-textured areas some fleshy tomatos have?? For eating
raw, I like the flesh firm but not woody (and preferably not too
acidic) but can't stand the gooey stuff around the seeds.

~REZ~

[...]

logical to show the same tomato whole and sliced as that is the only real
comparison. There is no touching up done on the photos, only deleting the
background around the tomatoes and the slices, then putting the images
together (and adding shadows). Unfortunately, the year of the photos, I
hadn't used PhotoShop yet so only photographed those I had at least two of
the better shaped ones of the same variety ripe at the same time. If I
were to photograph them now, I wouldn't be so fussy about having at least
two because I could assemble the photos from singles. The shapes/sizes
vary somewhat each year dependent upon growing conditions.

Stupice is a good all-around variety, one of the early bearers, prolific,
flavorful (though *not* a brandywine or sun gold g), good for fresh
eating or cooking. If one were going to have only one variety for
all-around use, that would be the one to choose. It's a heirloom and is
very popular with those who know about it. I know several people who grow
only stupice.

Check Millennium's page, and that will answer some questions. :-)

Glenna

I had good success with Mortgage Lifter last year. It's a huge, late-season,
pink tomato that is so fleshy that ... well, here, take a look.

Surf to http://organic-earth.com/gallery/albums.php and then go to page five
to see the cross-section. You'll see a couple of woody areas in this
particular specimen but most of them had none at all.

It's a great slicer, a so-so juicer and I didn't try any other method of
preserving them. Very prolific, excellent total weight per vine.

Bill

Old 30-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

I had good success with Mortgage Lifter last year. It's a huge,
late-season,
pink tomato that is so fleshy that ... well, here, take a look.

I had planned to buy a Mortgage Lifter this year and manage to not do it.
:-(

Surf to
http://organic-earth.com/gallery/albums.php and then go to page
five
to see the cross-section. You'll see a couple of woody areas in this
particular specimen but most of them had none at all.

It's a great slicer, a so-so juicer and I didn't try any other method of
preserving them. Very prolific, excellent total weight per vine.

I went to your web page, but my browser shows only broken links. :-(

Glenna