Old 08-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Tomato sauce question, sort of OT.

I've asked this in rec.preserving but no reply so excuse me for asking again
here.

I am about to have a glut of tomatoes (my first year of growing them and I
went abit mad with the planting). I love tomato sauce for pasta and have had
a go making my own as my favourite shop bought brand has disappeared off the
shelves (and I've got all these tomatoes coming !) I've frozen a batch that
I made but I'd like to know, if I make some, pour into sterilized warmed
jars and pop a lid on, how long would this keep in the refridgerator
unopened ? Any ideas ? I eat alot of it so I guess it would be gone within a
week of opening but frozen never seems to taste the same somehow, for me. I
imagine I'm looking at a couple of weeks at the most ?

TIA in advance for any advice if anyone knows.

Rachael

Old 08-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

I've asked this in rec.preserving but no reply so excuse me for asking again
here.

I am about to have a glut of tomatoes (my first year of growing them and I
went abit mad with the planting). I love tomato sauce for pasta and have had
a go making my own as my favourite shop bought brand has disappeared off the
shelves (and I've got all these tomatoes coming !) I've frozen a batch that
I made but I'd like to know, if I make some, pour into sterilized warmed
jars and pop a lid on, how long would this keep in the refridgerator
unopened ? Any ideas ? I eat alot of it so I guess it would be gone within a
week of opening but frozen never seems to taste the same somehow, for me. I
imagine I'm looking at a couple of weeks at the most ?

TIA in advance for any advice if anyone knows.

Rachael

I think your estimate of a couple of weeks is about right. A sterilized
jar with a lid popped on isn't preserved. For that you would either
need to do a boiling water bath or pressure canning session. Otherwise,
you could just as easily use a ziplock bag or tupperware and get the
same length of refrigerator storage.

marcella
Old 08-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Katra

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering why she just does not go ahead and can it? :-)

I simply juiced a bunch of my tomatoes with the Victorio strainer, then
froze the juice. I'll make sauce out of that then, and that should taste
ok. Especially with fresh herbs from the herb garden.

I dried the skins and seeds that came out of the strainer, then tossed
that mess back into the tomato garden. Many of the seedlings are now 3"
tall! That should be good for a fall crop.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 09-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Steve

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
I dried the skins and seeds that came out of the strainer, then tossed
that mess back into the tomato garden. Many of the seedlings are now 3"
tall! That should be good for a fall crop.............................

Wait a minute... you have 3 inch tomato seedlings now and you will
get ripe tomatoes in the fall? Wow, I live really, really too far
north! I've got to think about moving farther south while I still
have some good gardening years left in me.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 09-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Steve Calvin

Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
I dried the skins and seeds that came out of the strainer, then tossed
that mess back into the tomato garden. Many of the seedlings are now
3" tall! That should be good for a fall crop.............................

Wait a minute... you have 3 inch tomato seedlings now and you will get
ripe tomatoes in the fall? Wow, I live really, really too far north!
I've got to think about moving farther south while I still have some
good gardening years left in me.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Ditto!

--
Steve (In the Catskills ;-) )

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some folks just don't have any film.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Katra

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
I dried the skins and seeds that came out of the strainer, then tossed
that mess back into the tomato garden. Many of the seedlings are now 3"
tall! That should be good for a fall crop.............................

Wait a minute... you have 3 inch tomato seedlings now and you will
get ripe tomatoes in the fall? Wow, I live really, really too far
north! I've got to think about moving farther south while I still
have some good gardening years left in me.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Well, late fall/early winter. :-)
We usually don't get our first freeze until the first part of January,
if then. We did not get a single hard freeze last winter, but that means
we are having a bad bug season. :-P

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 09-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Katra

In article .net,
belly wrote:

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:58:41 -0400 in
, Steve graced
the world with this thought:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
I dried the skins and seeds that came out of the strainer, then tossed
that mess back into the tomato garden. Many of the seedlings are now 3"
tall! That should be good for a fall crop.............................

Wait a minute... you have 3 inch tomato seedlings now and you will
get ripe tomatoes in the fall? Wow, I live really, really too far
north! I've got to think about moving farther south while I still
have some good gardening years left in me.

Steve in the Adirondacks

I believe the woman lives in TX, so be prepared for quite a move!

Got it in one! :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 09-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Sunflower" wrote in message
news

Go to www.freecycle.org/ and sign up for the group in your area. Place a
WANTED: canning supplies on the list.

Hey wow - what a good idea. I never knew this existed ! I have lots of stuff
I no longer need that I could also offer. I usually give to charity but this
is a good idea to get stuff to people who are looking for it too.

Thanks for that - I'm in the uk and there are groups near to me. It seems a
very good concept, I'll read the site in depth.

There are a lot of folks out there
who've canned only a time or two and would probably like to get rid of

them.
You can reuse the jars and bands, but you'll need to buy new lids, which

is
pretty cheap. A plain old stockpot that you boil your spaghetti noodles

in
will work for the water bath. All you now need is some tongs, and someone
will probably come through with those as well. If you can see a rolling
boil on your stove and have a clock that you can see for timing, you don't
really need to worry too much about temperature. But, you might also ask

if
anyone has a large print thermometer as well. It never hurts to ask YOu
might also think about sun drying some of the tomatoes. It's a bit easier
labor wise, and they make really good sauces when reconstituted.

I'll try a search on google for that - I am assuming sun is one of the
requirements ? - we did some sun here for a week or so but now it has
clouded over again. ;-)

Rachael

Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Katra

"Katra" wrote in message

I'm wondering why she just does not go ahead and can it? :-)

She doesn't have a canner / equipment nor the money to buy one. ;-) I
considered it but for three things.

a) I'm not sure I can justify the outlay for something I might use only once
a year when my tomatoes come in.
b) I have just laid out money on a new fridgefreezer cos my old one died. In
the height of summer over here.It always happens that way !
c) I am on disibility benefits which means that purchase has pretty much
cleaned out all my reserves ! Having looked at prices for canning starter
kits - water bath methods and steamers - I just don't have that sort of
money to spend on something I might not use alot.

Am I missing a cheaper way to do it ?

Yes.
A single pressure cooker/canner is all that you need.
It usually comes with jar tongs.

And of course some jars, lids and rings. :-)

A canner is less than $100.00.

http://tinyurl.com/5oext

I understand money being tight, but pressure cookers are also good for
_lots_ of cooking applications! I use mine all the time.

If you only can in pint jars, you can get by with the smaller one and
it's great for cooking rice, potatoes, yams, pot roast, bone stock.....

I could go on. I grew up with mom teaching me to use a pressure cooker
and it's fabulous.

Hope this helps?

K.

I'm also wary of having to read temperatures if my wellbeing might depend on
it - the reason I'm on DB is that I am seventy percent blind.

Rachael

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 AM

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

Am I missing a cheaper way to do it ?

Yes.
A single pressure cooker/canner is all that you need.
It usually comes with jar tongs.

And of course some jars, lids and rings. :-)

A canner is less than $100.00.

splutter !

I appreciate your advice, really I do - but $100 is quite abit of money
where I come from ! *Quite* abit !

http://tinyurl.com/5oext

I understand money being tight, but pressure cookers are also good for
_lots_ of cooking applications! I use mine all the time.

If you only can in pint jars, you can get by with the smaller one and
it's great for cooking rice, potatoes, yams, pot roast, bone stock.....

I could go on. I grew up with mom teaching me to use a pressure cooker
and it's fabulous.

Hope this helps?

I do recall my mum had a pressure cooker when I was a child. Looking at
that link they do sell for less for the smaller ones, don't they ? Perhaps
when my birthday comes around I should add one to my wish list.

I have a slow cooker that I use - but as I recall the pressure cooker is the
other end of the timescale, LOL !

So, am I to understand that what I would call yer normal run-of-the-mill
pressure cooker - like this one for example http://tinyurl.com/3k6gr I could
can in assuming my choice of jar would fit in ? This one is much more in my
price range. ;-)

Rachael

Old 10-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Steve

Katra wrote:

In article .net,
belly wrote:

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:58:41 -0400 in
, Steve graced
the world with this thought:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
I dried the skins and seeds that came out of the strainer, then tossed
that mess back into the tomato garden. Many of the seedlings are now 3"
tall! That should be good for a fall crop.............................

Wait a minute... you have 3 inch tomato seedlings now and you will
get ripe tomatoes in the fall? Wow, I live really, really too far
north! I've got to think about moving farther south while I still
have some good gardening years left in me.

Steve in the Adirondacks

I believe the woman lives in TX, so be prepared for quite a move!

Got it in one! :-)

K.

I lived in Texas when I was 4 and 5 years old. My dad was in the air
force and went there for pilot training. I don't recall being
interested in growing tomatoes back then.

Steve

Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Katra

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

Am I missing a cheaper way to do it ?

Yes.
A single pressure cooker/canner is all that you need.
It usually comes with jar tongs.

And of course some jars, lids and rings. :-)

A canner is less than $100.00.

splutter !

I appreciate your advice, really I do - but $100 is quite abit of money
where I come from ! *Quite* abit !

Sorry. ;-)

I've always considered good kitchen tools to be a good investment as
they last for many years.... My stove was $800.00 and it took me a year
to pay it off.

http://tinyurl.com/5oext

I understand money being tight, but pressure cookers are also good for
_lots_ of cooking applications! I use mine all the time.

If you only can in pint jars, you can get by with the smaller one and
it's great for cooking rice, potatoes, yams, pot roast, bone stock.....

I could go on. I grew up with mom teaching me to use a pressure cooker
and it's fabulous.

Hope this helps?

I do recall my mum had a pressure cooker when I was a child. Looking at
that link they do sell for less for the smaller ones, don't they ? Perhaps
when my birthday comes around I should add one to my wish list.

I have a slow cooker that I use - but as I recall the pressure cooker is the
other end of the timescale, LOL !

Slow cookers and stock pots will work, but I persnonally prefer a
pressure cooker as it's faster and more sure. But, that's just a
personal preference!

So, am I to understand that what I would call yer normal run-of-the-mill
pressure cooker - like this one for example http://tinyurl.com/3k6gr I could
can in assuming my choice of jar would fit in ? This one is much more in my
price range. ;-)

Yes! You do not need the fancy "canner" to do the job with smaller jars
if you are just canning a few. :-)

Just read up on it as since they have no pressure or temp. guage, you
will just be timing it. It's much simpler and works fine.

Also cooks a mean bunch of rice in only 20 minutes. lol

Rachael

K. (who LOVES her pressure cooker!!!)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...