Old 07-07-2007, 02:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default yEnc

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 17:24:19 -0400, "betsyb" wrote:

Color me old and feeble. I don't understand yenc nor do I care to learn.

What does old and feeble have to do with it? It's about attitude, Betsy... ;-)

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com
Old 07-07-2007, 03:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I don't think the poster is broken, but rather the recipient. yEnc has been around for so
many years that even slow MS should have been able to include it in a new version of OE.
If they choose not to, they are missing the boat. Are they self-serving or serving their
users? Pssst, I know the answer to that question...

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 21:11:40 -0500, Sj wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:36:28 GMT, "Jane Doe"
wrote:

Sj
"Sj" wrote in message

But the other thought on this yEnc thing is this:
If you post, I am going to assume you post to
share ... if you then yEnc & create problems for
those who don't/won't/can't see your stuff,
you're defeating the reason you're posting ...

When you say trouble what do you mean? Not indicating so in the subject line
so that people wont spend time unnecessarily?

Mariana

It's a problem for those who don't wish to be bothered
w/ yEnc, for whatever reason ... if the proper software
is used, the posting software automatically puts yEnc
in the header ... if not, the poster is using broken
software ... maybe people should let them know,
though some posters won't care ...

http://www.techsono.com/faq/yenc.html

Sj

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com
Old 07-07-2007, 04:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Sj wrote:

The software is 'broken' if it doesn't automatically put
the word, yEnc, in the header, so that people who
don't wish to bother can bypass it ... think there may
be other problems w/ some of the yEnc posting
software but am not familiar w/ the details, as I don't
post in yEnc & can 'read' it seamlessly ...

A quote:
"There are a lot of yEnc-posting programs in use
that have bugs in them. Here are some:

* NNTP Power Post 2000 (Build 25b; yEnc)
* NNTP Power Post 2000 (Build 24c)
* yPost / 0.45
* MT Newswatcher 3.2"

And you can read he
http://www.yenc.org/broken.htm

Sj

Current MT Newswatcher is 3.5.2. Funny not mentioned in

http://www.yenc.org/broken.htm

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 07-07-2007, 04:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Sj wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:03:56 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

In article ,
Sj wrote:

The software is 'broken' if it doesn't automatically put
the word, yEnc, in the header, so that people who
don't wish to bother can bypass it ... think there may
be other problems w/ some of the yEnc posting
software but am not familiar w/ the details, as I don't
post in yEnc & can 'read' it seamlessly ...

A quote:
"There are a lot of yEnc-posting programs in use
that have bugs in them. Here are some:

* NNTP Power Post 2000 (Build 25b; yEnc)
* NNTP Power Post 2000 (Build 24c)
* yPost / 0.45
* MT Newswatcher 3.2"

And you can read he
http://www.yenc.org/broken.htm

Sj

Current MT Newswatcher is 3.5.2. Funny not mentioned in

http://www.yenc.org/broken.htm

Bill

You could e-mail him to ask him &/or let him know ...

Sj

Why bother?

Jurgen Helbing - 22. March. 2002 - Email:

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"betsyb" wrote in message
Color me old and feeble. I don't understand yenc nor do I care to
learn.

There is nothing that needs to be understood or to learn. Do you
understand uuencode? Did you have to learn uuencode?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sj" wrote
It's a problem for those who don't wish to be bothered
w/ yEnc, for whatever reason ... if the proper software
is used, the posting software automatically puts yEnc
in the header ... if not, the poster is using broken
software ... maybe people should let them know,
though some posters won't care ...

http://www.techsono.com/faq/yenc.html

Ah! So perhaps that's why I still can't see some yEnc posts despite
buying the necessary software to decode it automatically in OE.
Most annoying (or words to that effect!). :-)

Software to decode yEnc is free.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Gerry D (Canada) wrote:
I don't think the poster is broken, but rather the recipient. yEnc has been around for so
many years that even slow MS should have been able to include it in a new version of OE.
If they choose not to, they are missing the boat. Are they self-serving or serving their
users? Pssst, I know the answer to that question...

Yeah, well, MS does conform to applicable international\web standards:
OE is built to receive and decode both MIME and uuencode (IIRC, it uses
MIME to send.) It so happens that newsreaders and e-mail clients on all
other platforms also conform to these standards. That's why you can read
an e-mail sent from somebody using a Mac or running on Linux, for
example. While there are lots of reasons to despise MS, this isn't one
of them.

YEnc is proprietary. MS can't simply include it in OE - they have to
make a deal with its owner, who appears to be a 1st class prat. Among
other things he has "improved" it several times in the worst way
possible: newer versions aren't backward compatible with older ones,
and/or he hasn't shared sufficient detail with the writers of
newsreaders. That's why T'bird, for example, will read some yEnc posts,
but not others. I've never bothered looking at the headers to figure out
what the difference/reason is. He's also refused to co-operate with the
international body that regulates web standards such as packet formats,
MIME, etc, without which the web wouldn't work at all. Last time I
looked at his website, he whinged about those nasty standards people who
expected him to pay out of his own pocket for the submissions etc needed
for that body to even consider adopting yEnc as another encoding
standard. IOW, he's the reason it's not a standard, not the fact that
the majority of plain ordinary computer users don't use it.

If you want the widest possible audience for his or her posts, don't use
yEnc. MIME or uuencode works with _all_ newsreaders. Most people
nowadays buy a computer as an appliance - a machine that's ready to go,
doing all the things they want it to do. Why should they get additional
software to read a post in a non-standard format?

--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'
Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

T r a v i s wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sj" wrote
It's a problem for those who don't wish to be bothered
w/ yEnc, for whatever reason ... if the proper software
is used, the posting software automatically puts yEnc
in the header ... if not, the poster is using broken
software ... maybe people should let them know,
though some posters won't care ...

http://www.techsono.com/faq/yenc.html

Ah! So perhaps that's why I still can't see some yEnc posts despite
buying the necessary software to decode it automatically in OE.
Most annoying (or words to that effect!). :-)

Software to decode yEnc is free.

But why should anyone have to get additional software, free or not, just
to decode a message posted in a non-standard format?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Wolf expounded:

If you want the widest possible audience for his or her posts, don't use
yEnc. MIME or uuencode works with _all_ newsreaders. Most people
nowadays buy a computer as an appliance - a machine that's ready to go,
doing all the things they want it to do. Why should they get additional
software to read a post in a non-standard format?

You keep saying how non-standard yEnc is, and yet there are plenty of
newsreaders out there that handle it seamlessly. Defend M$ all you
want. They are the ones who choose to not handle *all* formats, no
matter what the reason. Agent is the best $29 you'll ever spend for
reading news.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:57:56 -0500, Sj wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:26:27 -0400, Ann
wrote:

"betsyb" expounded:

Me either and it's a shame we have to conform to another's standards? Not
happening.

No, it's being open-minded enough to work to anyone's standards.
Something Micro$oft just isn't into.....

You're right ... if one wants the music, the DVD's, the
warez, the pics bad enough, you get software which
can handle what's being used ...

I remember years ago, some people were still posting
in MIME, rather than uuencode ... I was using Free
Agent which didn't decode MIME ... too difficult to try
to get people to post in uuencode so finally went for
Agent, as too many pics were bypassing me, unseen ...

Been w/ Agent ever since & have never used OE ...

Sj

Same here. Some people just won't accept any change.
Change is inevitable. If we only used what Tiny Soft supplied our
computers might be compromised as there are those out there that use
so much other to destroy our computers.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Ann wrote:
Wolf expounded:

If you want the widest possible audience for his or her posts, don't use
yEnc. MIME or uuencode works with _all_ newsreaders. Most people
nowadays buy a computer as an appliance - a machine that's ready to go,
doing all the things they want it to do. Why should they get additional
software to read a post in a non-standard format?

You keep saying how non-standard yEnc is, and yet there are plenty of
newsreaders out there that handle it seamlessly. Defend M$ all you
want.

Er, I don't defend MS. How did you infer that?

They are the ones who choose to not handle *all* formats, no
matter what the reason. Agent is the best $29 you'll ever spend for
reading news.

Er, I tried the freeware version of Agent, didn't like it. Can't recall
why, I don't keep notes about software I don't like. Something about
insufficient control over downloads, IIRC. Which happens to be what I
didn't like about a half dozen other newsreaders I tried. So I'm using
T'bird for want of a better (the only newsreader that did everything I
wanted it to do was PMNews, written for OS/2, and never ported, more's
the pity.)

OE is worth exactly what you pay for it.

The only MS software I use is IE, and that only for Updates, since MS's
update site won't work with any other browsers. Which is Restraint of
Trade, and illegal, but I guess Willy Wallholes is exempt.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:15:38 -0400, Wolf wrote:

Gerry D (Canada) wrote:
I don't think the poster is broken, but rather the recipient. yEnc has been around for so
many years that even slow MS should have been able to include it in a new version of OE.
If they choose not to, they are missing the boat. Are they self-serving or serving their
users? Pssst, I know the answer to that question...

Yeah, well, MS does conform to applicable international\web standards:

Really? What about MS' implementation of CSS in IE, for example.

Anyway, this is getting way off-topic...

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com
Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 06:51:33 -0400, Ann wrote:

Wolf expounded:

If you want the widest possible audience for his or her posts, don't use
yEnc. MIME or uuencode works with _all_ newsreaders. Most people
nowadays buy a computer as an appliance - a machine that's ready to go,
doing all the things they want it to do. Why should they get additional
software to read a post in a non-standard format?

You keep saying how non-standard yEnc is, and yet there are plenty of
newsreaders out there that handle it seamlessly. Defend M$ all you
want. They are the ones who choose to not handle *all* formats, no
matter what the reason. Agent is the best $29 you'll ever spend for
reading news.

I agree, Ann. Just because somebody says it is non-standard, will not prevent people from
posting yEnc encoded material. Just by sticking to what is "proper standard" material, you
are excluding yourself from many posts.

But then again, you and I are not missing out...

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com
Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"T r a v i s" wrote after "Bob Hobden" and "Sj" wrote
It's a problem for those who don't wish to be bothered
w/ yEnc, for whatever reason ... if the proper software
is used, the posting software automatically puts yEnc
in the header ... if not, the poster is using broken
software ... maybe people should let them know,
though some posters won't care ...

http://www.techsono.com/faq/yenc.html

Ah! So perhaps that's why I still can't see some yEnc posts despite
buying the necessary software to decode it automatically in OE.
Most annoying (or words to that effect!). :-)

Software to decode yEnc is free.

Yes there is free software but when I tried it you had to save the photo to
your PC and then do through a procedure to decode it, save it again and then
it might be viewable depending on the version of yEnc that had been used. I
do not save photos to my PC, even most of my own are put straight to DVD
unless I delete them first.
I paid for software that is supposed to work seamlessly with OE....we shall
see IDC!
--
Regards
Bob Hobden