Old 13-03-2009, 02:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Hooray fresh juice!!

I finally set up my camera with the remote shutter & used the flash which
picks up the colours.

The hummers are still too fast as I have several pics of them off the edge
of the photo.
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
Hooray fresh juice!!-hum-hooray3dsc02799.jpg
Old 13-03-2009, 10:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wendy7" wrote in message

I finally set up my camera with the remote shutter & used the flash which
picks up the colours.

The hummers are still too fast as I have several pics of them off the edge
of the photo.

Wendy this is a pretty good start! Way to go girl!

I didn't realize you were shooting with a DSLR until I saw this shot, which
would have been near impossible with a P&S camera. I checked your EXIF file
and see that it is a Sony DSLR A-100, a camera that pretty much matches my
Nikon D80 spec-for-spec. And obviously Sony offers a little remote
triggering device for it like I have. You'll find that invaluable.

With regard to this particular shot I would have cut out a lot of the
extraneous stuff and concentrated more on the bird himself. Sort of like
this: (more to come)
--
Pat Durkin

email: t o b a c c o h a t e r 1 @ y a h o o . c o m

Old 13-03-2009, 10:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Wendy this is a pretty good start! Way to go girl!

I didn't realize you were shooting with a DSLR until I saw this shot,
which would have been near impossible with a P&S camera. I checked your
EXIF file and see that it is a Sony DSLR A-100, a camera that pretty much
matches my Nikon D80 spec-for-spec. And obviously Sony offers a little
remote triggering device for it like I have. You'll find that invaluable.

With regard to this particular shot I would have cut out a lot of the
extraneous stuff and concentrated more on the bird himself. Sort of like
this: (more to come)

Obviously my cropping example looks lousy because I took your reduced size
photo and blew part of it up so the picture is coming apart in my
reproduction - but you'll get the point. The bird is the subject - not the
feeder.

I can't tell if you shot this at your full frame size of 3872 X 2592 pixels
or at a reduced size. Likewise, I can't tell what processing software you
used nor whether you shot in JPEG or in RAW. But I suspect that if you shot
the full sized frame you could probably crop the original similarly to my
example and still wind up with respectable image quality in a 1024 pixel
wide picture. Give it a shot and see how it looks.

In the future, concentrate on getting closer to the bird so you don't have
to crop out a lot of unneeded background. I set up my tripod around a foot
or so from where I want the bird to be. Then I zone focus to a point in the
air that is directly in front of the feeder and then lock out the autofocus
feature so that it won't shift from that setting.

And another important thing I've done is that I got rid of my feeder that
had a ring around it for the birds to perch on. As long as they can sit on
the other side away from you or your camera they'll do it everytime. So I
took control of that situation by providing a feeder that only has one
spout --- one place for the bird to get its reward. That assures that it
will always "pose" where I want it to pose.

I noticed that you shot this picture at a shutter speed of only 1/125 sec.
I'm surprised that you were able to freeze his movements as well as you did
but that was made possible by the brief duration of your flash.

The picture is a little dark so I looked in your EXIF file to see what ISO
speed you had set and unfortunately that space was blank and I couldn't
tell. The A-100 can be set anywhere from ISO 100 to ISO 1600. I usually
set mine at either ISO 320 or ISO 400. And I'm trying to place the feeder
in an area where there's an ample amount of sunlight if possible so that I
can use a fast shutter speed and not have to rely on my flash to freeze the
action. The flash should only be used at 1/4 or 1/2 power and only to fill
in shadow areas. I like the highlight effect it creates on the bird's eye
too.

Old 13-03-2009, 11:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thanks ever so much for the tips Pat. Yes my Sony is really sort of over
kill for me since I just point & shoot.
Believe it or not I was thinking of cropping the feeder.
Found that my Irfanview software cuts out the EXIF data as it takes up
lots of kb's in the image file.
Anyhow here is a copy of the original cropped & resized using M/S picture
Manager.
Cheers Wendy

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

[...]

Hooray fresh juice!!-hum-hooray-cupdsc02799.jpg
Old 13-03-2009, 11:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Thanks ever so much for the tips Pat. Yes my Sony is really sort of over
kill for me since I just point & shoot.
Believe it or not I was thinking of cropping the feeder.
Found that my Irfanview software cuts out the EXIF data as it takes up
lots of kb's in the image file.
Anyhow here is a copy of the original cropped & resized using M/S picture
Manager.
Cheers Wendy

That's the idea! Actually it's not a bad picture at all. Too bad the wing
is covering the eye but what the heck --- there's always "the next shot".

I took the liberty to crop it a little bit more and to brighten up your
subject matter a little, while slightly darkening your background to the
bird stand out a bit.

Lookin' good Wendy! Go get some more!

Cheers
--
Pat Durkin

email: t o b a c c o h a t e r 1 @ y a h o o . c o m

Attached Thumbnails
Hooray fresh juice!!-hum-hooray-cup.jpg

Old 14-03-2009, 12:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Wendy7" wrote in message

I'm an idiot when it comes to typing. The sentence below:

I took the liberty to crop it a little bit more and to brighten up your
subject matter a little, while slightly darkening your background to the
bird stand out a bit.

....should read "I took the liberty to crop it a little bit more and to
brighten up your subject matter a little, while slightly darkening your
background to make the bird stand out a bit."

Duh. You probably already knew what I meant but I feel like I've got to
explain my gaffes.

Old 14-03-2009, 04:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

No this is great, but now I need to know how you do this, lighten the
subject &
darken the background.
Cheers Wendy

Old 15-03-2009, 01:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:14:16 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

Thanks ever so much for the tips Pat. Yes my Sony is really sort of over
kill for me since I just point & shoot.
Believe it or not I was thinking of cropping the feeder.
Found that my Irfanview software cuts out the EXIF data as it takes up
lots of kb's in the image file.
Anyhow here is a copy of the original cropped & resized using M/S picture
Manager.
Cheers Wendy

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
m...
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Wendy, as to the EXIF data. I wrote to the maker of Irfanview and
he said he would fix that problem. He thanked me for the suggestion
and the newer irfan programs save the EXIF data. Maybe you don't have
the latest but it is still free and really neat.
Old 16-03-2009, 06:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thanks for the info JoeVan, I have d/loaded the latest version of
IrfvanView & voilla!
I also inadvertantly deleted your reply?
Cheers Wendy

Old 16-03-2009, 01:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Wendy7" wrote in message

I'm an idiot when it comes to typing. The sentence below:

I took the liberty to crop it a little bit more and to brighten up your
subject matter a little, while slightly darkening your background to the
bird stand out a bit.

...should read "I took the liberty to crop it a little bit more and to
brighten up your subject matter a little, while slightly darkening your
background to make the bird stand out a bit."

Duh. You probably already knew what I meant but I feel like I've got to
explain my gaffes.
--
Pat Durkin

email: t o b a c c o h a t e r 1 @ y a h o o . c o m

Not a problem. Allways happy to help anyone who shares and post such
wonderful pictures as you.
Old 16-03-2009, 09:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wendy7" wrote in message

I need to know how you do this, lighten the subject & darken the
background.

I don't use Irfan View so I don't know how to do it with that software but I
assume it can be done, but I don't know.

My recollections of a couple of earlier versions of Irfan View that I tried
were that they allowed me to lighten the whole picture or darken the whole
picture but I don't recall seeing a way to lighten or darken specific areas
only.

Ah but what do I know? Maybe it was there and I just didn't see it.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 16-03-2009, 11:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Increase the contrast. You may also have to lighten or darken the whole
picture.

Old 17-03-2009, 01:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:41:43 -0700, "Paddy's Pig"
wrote:

"Wendy7" wrote in message

I need to know how you do this, lighten the subject & darken the
background.

I don't use Irfan View so I don't know how to do it with that software but I
assume it can be done, but I don't know.

My recollections of a couple of earlier versions of Irfan View that I tried
were that they allowed me to lighten the whole picture or darken the whole
picture but I don't recall seeing a way to lighten or darken specific areas
only.

Ah but what do I know? Maybe it was there and I just didn't see it.

I don't know how to do it in irfanview either. I think it needs
photoshop or some other power program.
Old 17-03-2009, 11:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
MPM MPM is offline

My two cents worth: You all have good cameras; so take a pic & let it be!
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Wendy7" wrote in message

I need to know how you do this, lighten the subject & darken the
background.

I don't use Irfan View so I don't know how to do it with that software but
I assume it can be done, but I don't know.

My recollections of a couple of earlier versions of Irfan View that I
tried were that they allowed me to lighten the whole picture or darken the
whole picture but I don't recall seeing a way to lighten or darken
specific areas only.

Ah but what do I know? Maybe it was there and I just didn't see it.
--
Pat Durkin

[IMG] code is On

Can fresh green coca paste/juice be used as a topical anesthetic? GreenXenon Plant Science 0 17-03-2009 04:56 AM
[IBC] Hooray! Jim Lewis Bonsai 12 06-02-2004 07:12 PM
[IBC] Hooray! Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 03-02-2004 08:44 PM
O/T Precious Bane - hooray! Pinetree United Kingdom 5 10-12-2003 07:35 PM
HEY!! Hip, hip hooray!! pixi Ponds 11 29-09-2003 04:32 AM