Old 24-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Gntry

Default japanese beetles

My local nursery told me that the damage being done to my sandcherry and
weeping cherry trees are being done by japanese beetles. I've fished a few
out of the pool and I know what they look like, but all the time that I
check the trees, never have I seen one on or near them. Do they come out at
night? How can I not see them? We sprayed a chemical that the nursery sold
to us but I can't tell if it's working. Any suggestions or info on these
little critters is greatly appreciated.
C in upstate NY(zone 5)

Old 24-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:45:40 GMT, "Gntry" wrote:

My local nursery told me that the damage being done to my sandcherry and
weeping cherry trees are being done by japanese beetles. I've fished a few
out of the pool and I know what they look like, but all the time that I
check the trees, never have I seen one on or near them. Do they come out at
night? How can I not see them? We sprayed a chemical that the nursery sold
to us but I can't tell if it's working. Any suggestions or info on these
little critters is greatly appreciated.
C in upstate NY(zone 5)

Here at least they fly around mostly at day. At lest, that's when my trap catches them. One trap
has caught literally several thousand of them.

Old 24-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Jacqueline Cahoon

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:56:55 -0400, Darren Garrison
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:45:40 GMT, "Gntry" wrote:

My local nursery told me that the damage being done to my sandcherry and
weeping cherry trees are being done by japanese beetles. I've fished a few
out of the pool and I know what they look like, but all the time that I
check the trees, never have I seen one on or near them. Do they come out at
night? How can I not see them? We sprayed a chemical that the nursery sold
to us but I can't tell if it's working. Any suggestions or info on these
little critters is greatly appreciated.
C in upstate NY(zone 5)

Here at least they fly around mostly at day. At lest, that's when my trap catches them. One trap
has caught literally several thousand of them.

What kind of trap is that?

Old 24-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:01:01 -0400, Jacqueline Cahoon wrote:

Here at least they fly around mostly at day. At lest, that's when my trap catches them. One trap
has caught literally several thousand of them.

What kind of trap is that?

Just google "japanese beetle trap". There are multiple models of them-- but they all boil down to a
pheromone lure over a bag. The beetles fall into the bag and can't fly out again. I bought mine at
Wal-Mart, but I'm sure you can get them anywhere with a garden center.

Old 25-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Vox Humana

wrote:

Here at least they fly around mostly at day. At lest, that's when my

trap catches them. One trap
has caught literally several thousand of them.

What kind of trap is that?

Just google "japanese beetle trap". There are multiple models of them--

but they all boil down to a
pheromone lure over a bag. The beetles fall into the bag and can't fly

out again. I bought mine at
Wal-Mart, but I'm sure you can get them anywhere with a garden center.

I have read that the traps actually can cause more harm than good as they
attract the beetles to your yard and unless everyone in the area has such a
trap, you end up attracting more than you kill.

Old 25-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Tom Randy

On 2005-07-24 12:56:55 -0400, Darren Garrison said:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:45:40 GMT, "Gntry" wrote:

My local nursery told me that the damage being done to my sandcherry
and weeping cherry trees are being done by japanese beetles. I've
fished a few out of the pool and I know what they look like, but all
the time that I check the trees, never have I seen one on or near them.
Do they come out at night? How can I not see them? We sprayed a
chemical that the nursery sold to us but I can't tell if it's working.
Any suggestions or info on these little critters is greatly appreciated.
C in upstate NY(zone 5)

Here at least they fly around mostly at day. At lest, that's when my
trap catches them. One trap
has caught literally several thousand of them.

Same here, they are most active around 11am to 2 or 3pm. I have caught
literally 2 full quarts of them so far. Picture 2 quart mayo jars full.
THOUSANDS! This year is the worst in 3-4 years.

NY Zone 6.

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

Old 25-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Tom Randy

wrote:

Here at least they fly around mostly at day. At lest, that's when my
trap catches them. One trap
has caught literally several thousand of them.
What kind of trap is that?

Just google "japanese beetle trap". There are multiple models of
them-- but they all boil down to a
pheromone lure over a bag. The beetles fall into the bag and can't fly
out again. I bought mine at
Wal-Mart, but I'm sure you can get them anywhere with a garden center.

I use a plastic type by Teece. Quart sized green plastic with screw on
yellow plastic veins.

Tom

Old 25-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Bill R

Vox Humana wrote:

I have read that the traps actually can cause more harm than good as they
attract the beetles to your yard and unless everyone in the area has such a
trap, you end up attracting more than you kill.

Placement is extremely important with the traps. They need
to be placed away from the area of the plants that the
beetles bother (in my case Dahlias). They do such a good
job of attracting and catching the beetles it is NOT
necessary for a the neighbors to have them (unless you have
really a lot of beetles). Since I started using them I have
very little damage to my Dahlias.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 25-07-2005, 03:23 AM
Darren Garrison

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:47:50 GMT, "Vox Humana" wrote:

I have read that the traps actually can cause more harm than good as they
attract the beetles to your yard and unless everyone in the area has such a
trap, you end up attracting more than you kill.

I've read that, too, but all I know from personal experience is that my canna lilies, which were
being utterly destroyed by the beetles, are now virtually beetle-free and the flowers actually stay
in bloom instead of being eaten away as soon as they bloom. I live in a rural area filled with open
fields and woods, so placing traps everywhere wouldn't be feasable.

Old 25-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Darren Garrison

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:58:14 -0400, Bill R wrote:

Placement is extremely important with the traps. They need
to be placed away from the area of the plants that the
beetles bother (in my case Dahlias). They do such a good
job of attracting and catching the beetles it is NOT
necessary for a the neighbors to have them (unless you have
really a lot of beetles). Since I started using them I have
very little damage to my Dahlias.

The one I have (don't remember the brand-- maybe Ortho?) says that it controls 1/8th square acre.
The way I figure it, I can't kill every june bug in my area, but at least the thousands I do kill
are off my plants and will not be laying eggs.

Old 26-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Starlord

The few japases bettles I see out here don't bother my I.Canna ( canna are
NOT lilies ), but I also watch out and distroy their grubs when I find them.
Their's Milky Spore which you can put on the ground which helps kill the
groubs from the JB's.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop