Old 18-06-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul E. Lehmann

Default How to Kill a Tree

There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house. The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.
Old 18-06-2006, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house. The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.

If I were you I'd be careful about vandalizing trees on public property
by hammering copper wire into them like nails or any other techniques.

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 18-06-2006, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vivek.M

http://forestry.about.com/od/silvicu..._tree_real.htm

But please be careful.

Old 18-06-2006, 08:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin

You can girdle the tree, that is, cut away the bark _and the brown stuff
under it_ around the tree, about six inches worth, and it will die
in a year or two.

Black Locust can heal, so monitor and cut it away again if necessary.
Some people suggest girdling in two places to discourage it. If it
puts out leaves next spring, it's time to girdle again.

A spoke shaver is handy for the purpose.

Black locust also will send up shoots all over the place for a while.

Wildlife likes the dead tree, by the way.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 18-06-2006, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
The Other Funk

Despite it being felony(at least it is in NJ),you be realize that you will
have dead trees that may fall on your property and possibly your house.
Bob

Old 18-06-2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house.
The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected
to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick
up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before
they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with
Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I
believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these
trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10
inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven -
dead trees.

Take a 3/4 inch drill and drill a hole at a 45 degree angle down near
the base. Fill it with salt and refill it when the salt is absorbed.
Alternatively ring the bark, ie take a strip of bark off the tree about
1 inch wide all the way around. Do it low enough and the grass will hide
it. May take awhile to die but it has never failed me when I've done either.

Black locust is considered a desirable wood for fence posts by some
people in the NE US. My FIL in MD loved the stuff for that use.

George

Old 18-06-2006, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house.
The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected
to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick
up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before
they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with
Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I
believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these
trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10
inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven -
dead trees.

One copper nail.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 18-06-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Köi-Lö

Drive a copper nail into the trunk, it will do in any tree in short

Use a nail set to pget it below the cambium surface. Ifyu yu do not
have a copper nail, drive a regular 16 penny spike into the tree, near
the buttress roots or low to ground, pull nail out, and tap in a piece
of 14 or 12 gauge copper wire (sold type with insilation removed),
then just sort of smush hole back closed to make it un noticeable. For
such a cheap pest tree its unlikely they wold spend much or nay time
at all looking it over to see why it died and would never see that
nail hole, or the copper inside it....2" long piece will do it.

Old 22-06-2006, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dionysus

They (The City) don't seem to object to old tires, used oil tanks, rear axles of trucks, old air conditioners, other trash of assorted flavours being placed on that same property that is overgrown with invasive weeds. They also don't object to the city draining the municipal pool on this piece of land and also routing street rainfall runoff here also. The original poster said he replanted with other trees. Since you do not know the particular situation, perhaps you should withhold judgement.

"bizbee" wrote in message ink.net...
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 22:30:20 -0400 in
, "Paul E. Lehmann"
graced the world with this thought:

There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house. The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.

Gee, it's really hard to believe the city would object to you cutting
down trees that don't belong to you...

[IMG] code is On

To kill a pine tree... Bart Lawns 37 03-04-2007 08:39 PM
To kill a pine tree... Bart Lawns 32 23-01-2007 08:45 AM
Will Tylan (an antibiotic) kill my christmas tree? Dick N. Bush Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
tree kill Sam I Am United Kingdom 1 02-02-2003 11:50 PM
Will Tylan (an antibiotic) kill my christmas tree? Dick N. Bush Lawns 0 06-12-2002 07:47 AM