Old 20-06-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rick & LeeAnn

Default Spring Hill experience?

Hi,
Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I remember years
ago, people being ripped off by Michigan Bulb. Looking through the SH
catalog, the prices seem to be *really* low, and the saying "If
something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is." keeps
running through my mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that
anyone can give.
Thanks!
Lee Ann
Old 20-06-2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Rick & LeeAnn wrote in
:

Hi,
Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I
remember years ago, people being ripped off by Michigan
Bulb. Looking through the SH catalog, the prices seem to be
*really* low, and the saying "If something seems to be too
good to be true, it usually is." keeps running through my
mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that anyone
can give. Thanks!

they are the same company as Michigan Bulb. stay far away!

lee
--
"Fascism would be better described as corporatism,
since it is marriage between the state and business"
Old 21-06-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

enigma wrote:
Rick & LeeAnn wrote in
:

Hi,
Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I
remember years ago, people being ripped off by Michigan
Bulb. Looking through the SH catalog, the prices seem to be
*really* low, and the saying "If something seems to be too
good to be true, it usually is." keeps running through my
mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that anyone
can give. Thanks!

they are the same company as Michigan Bulb. stay far away!

lee

I have to agree with Lee. Most of the stuff they sell is very low
quality and their "lifetime replacement" is a big lie.

The same company that owns Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill also own
Gurney's, Henry Field's, Breck's, Garden's Alive and a couple of others
that I can't think of at this moment. AVOID THEM ALL!
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 21-06-2006, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Bill R wrote in
:

I have to agree with Lee. Most of the stuff they sell is
very low quality and their "lifetime replacement" is a big
lie.

well, if the 'lifetime replacement' means the lifetime of the
plant, which invariably arrives dead... they don't guarantee
dead plants, you see
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old 21-06-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Yes I agree with the others. Stay far away from them. Check out the watchdog
on mail order nurseries at www.davesgarden.com.

Old 21-06-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

you got it right.

Rick & LeeAnn wrote:

Hi,
Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I remember years
ago, people being ripped off by Michigan Bulb. Looking through the SH
catalog, the prices seem to be *really* low, and the saying "If
something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is." keeps
running through my mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that
anyone can give.
Thanks!
Lee Ann

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 21-06-2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
readandpostrosie

The same company that owns Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill also own
Gurney's, Henry Field's, Breck's, Garden's Alive and a couple of others
that I can't think of at this moment. AVOID THEM ALL!
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

so who DO you use for mail order?

Old 21-06-2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default This is kind of shocking to me because I've had catalogs from several of them

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..
Yes I agree with the others. Stay far away from them. Check out the
watchdog on mail order nurseries at www.davesgarden.com.
Elaine

What growers do you recommend that aren't too pricey?

I don't think davesgarden.com likes Gilbert H. Wild in Sarcoxie MO
either, and I was wanting to order some lily bulbs and peony plants from
them, used to get their catalog for years but never ordered because I
didn't know where to put them. Now I do.

Old 21-06-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

readandpostrosie wrote:

The same company that owns Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill also own
Gurney's, Henry Field's, Breck's, Garden's Alive and a couple of others
that I can't think of at this moment. AVOID THEM ALL!
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

so who DO you use for mail order?

I've had good experiences with www.kartuz.com and www.logees.com

check out www.davesgarden.com - they have a tracking/reporting system on
mailorder plant companies.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old 21-06-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rick & LeeAnn

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:11:58 -0400, Bill R
wrote:

enigma wrote:
Rick & LeeAnn wrote in
:

Hi,
Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I
remember years ago, people being ripped off by Michigan
Bulb. Looking through the SH catalog, the prices seem to be
*really* low, and the saying "If something seems to be too
good to be true, it usually is." keeps running through my
mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that anyone
can give. Thanks!

they are the same company as Michigan Bulb. stay far away!

lee

I have to agree with Lee. Most of the stuff they sell is very low
quality and their "lifetime replacement" is a big lie.

The same company that owns Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill also own
Gurney's, Henry Field's, Breck's, Garden's Alive and a couple of others
that I can't think of at this moment. AVOID THEM ALL!

Bill,
Thanks for the verification. I thought I remembered SH and Michigan as
being the same, but didn't know about Henry Fields, Gurney's and
Brecks. Thanks for the heads up. What do you, or anyone else in the
group know about Kelly Nurseries? I received an envelope of
"incredible" deals from SH and a catalog from Kelly's the same day.
Thanks again,
Lee Ann
Old 21-06-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Rick & LeeAnn wrote:
Hi,
Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I remember years
ago, people being ripped off by Michigan Bulb. Looking through the SH
catalog, the prices seem to be *really* low, and the saying "If
something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is." keeps
running through my mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that
anyone can give.
Thanks!
Lee Ann

I've read the negative online reports about Spring Hill. I ordered from
them once, two years ago, before I learned I could buy all the
perennials I needed locally.

Eight of the 11 plants I ordered arrived in beautiful shape and are now
growing happily in my garden. Their packaging was MUCH better than that
of another mail order plant source often recommended here.

The three miniature "cascade roses" I ordered from them were backordered
and when they finally arrived were in very poor shape. Two were dried up
and dead, the third had one little three inch bit that was still alive.
I phoned Spring Hill and they immediately refunded me the money for the
roses. I put the damaged rose in the ground not expecting much. It
didn't do much that year, but now it looks like the picture in the
catalog. I just wish I had three instead of the one!

If you don't have locally owned nurseries with a good choice of
perennials, the Spring Hill spring catalog with the deep discount is
probably worth experimenting with. But if possible, it's better to buy
locally where you can choose the plant in person.

--Jenny
Old 22-06-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
readandpostrosie

what about BURPEE'S?

--

"Bill R" wrote in message
readandpostrosie wrote:

The same company that owns Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill also own
Gurney's, Henry Field's, Breck's, Garden's Alive and a couple of others
that I can't think of at this moment. AVOID THEM ALL!
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

so who DO you use for mail order?

I have done business with the following vendors and have been very happy
with their plants, seeds, bulbs and service: Park's, Thompson & Morgan
(for seeds), Wayside Gardens, White Flower Farm, John Scheepers, and Van
Engelen (the last two are especially good places to buy bulbs).

Old 22-06-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

nope.

"readandpostrosie" wrote:

what about BURPEE'S?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at