Old 26-07-2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:28:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .

I've never
known a reason to spray a banana plant, so they are all basically
organic.

¿Que?

They don't have insect problems
Old 26-07-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:28:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..

I've never
known a reason to spray a banana plant, so they are all basically
organic.

¿Que?

They don't have insect problems

What about diseases not related to insects, or chemicals applied to minimize
rotting during shipment?

Old 27-07-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

The way you grow organic fruit, commercial production included is to
support healthy soils, use of certified organic fertilizer, addition
of compost each year, good soil aeration, proper hygiene after the
production season is over, not leaving diseased fruits laying around,
etc. There is nothing anyone can do about rot on peaches, organic OR
synthetic. There's a lot more to it than you are willing to learn.

and chickens of course. Virtually all organic apple orchards have
chickens to clean up the orchard. Not really new technology - chickens
have been used as garden pesticides/weedkillers for thousands of years.
In the case of apples, both apple maggots and curculio overwinter as
grubs in the first two inches of soil, just within chicken range. If
you have seen them in action, eating everything from the most invisible
seed to 2-ft snakes, you know that they are very efficient. If you let
them into the garden when the veggies are up they will destroy it in a
day.

Old 27-07-2006, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 01:15:30 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

I can see dry air reducing the fungus problems, but what about the insects?
If you have none, you are truely blessed.

People who are reliant on chemically produced fruit set up conditions
in the soil to be unable to support healthy fungi and other organisms
in the soil which contribute to fruit production.

I use chemicals occasionally and I have more fruit than I know what to
do with. I'm thinning and thinning, and I still can't reduce it enough.

The way you grow organic fruit, commercial production included is to
support healthy soils, use of certified organic fertilizer, addition
of compost each year, good soil aeration, proper hygiene after the
production season is over, not leaving diseased fruits laying around,
etc

These are good practices, but I'm not going to pay extra for the certified
organic fertilizer. I don't like drawing comparisons to religion, but it
reminds
me of orthodox people (Muslims, Jews, etc.) who pay a big premium to have
their meat slaughtered in the correct fashion so it can be certified acceptable.

I'm sorry but I don't belong to the church of organic.

Sherwin D.

Old 27-07-2006, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:03:41 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

[...]

That's a nice buzz phrase which tells me you have no idea what organic
growing is. A bag of certified organic fertilizer costs me 18 dollars
and it covers 7,500 square feet, hardly paying extra.

I'm not in the church of trying to explain.
Old 29-07-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 26 Jul 2006 21:03:43 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

[...]

I just HAVE to share this story!

I used to keep laying hens. Oh, those big, gorgeous yolks that
practically stoodup and saluted! Real organic. too.

Though they had plenty of room to scratch around back in their own
fenced off area, I used to let them out into the yard to "play" once
in a while.

My office gives on the yard, so when the phone rang, and I had to
answer it (this was before mobiles), the chickens figured out that one
pretty quick; no sooner did the phone ring, they knew I was going to
answer it, so they HURLED themselves on my veg garden and
commenced to destroy.

Dom't tell me chickens are stupid (well, like Pavlov's dogs...

--

Persephone
Old 29-07-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

I know what you mean about the chickens. I let mine out most Saturday
afternoons when the farmer (Me) likes to suck on a few pints of ale. When I
head for the house to get another cold one.... the sneaky little *******s
head for the cabbage patch. They sometimes catch me nodding off and........
I think they are charming creatures. I enjoy their company and the composted
chicken exhaust grows fabulous vegetables.

Farmer John
45N,77W

Old 30-07-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have had good success without using pesticides at all. 5 kinds of
apples I always get more good ones than my family can eat. Asian pears
do fine. The peaches that are resistant to leaf curl are the only ones
that have done well. Plums, cherries, grapes galore I wish something
would start eating them, always have way to many to pick. I suggest
just trying to grow everything that you want and see what does the best
in the long run remember some years one kind of fruit with do the best
and another year something else is the champ. Verity is the key to good
production.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com

Old 30-07-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have had good success without using pesticides at all. 5 kinds of
apples I always get more good ones than my family can eat.

Wouls you share your secrets with us, please?

Thanks in advance. vince norris
Old 30-07-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Curious what part of the country you are in.

Rather than growing too much
fruit for your needs and having to put up with spoiled fruit, because you don't
want
to spray with chemicals, I offer another possibility. Plant fruit trees on M27
rootstock, which will produce a small tree about 6 to 8 feet high with a small
production capacity. You can even throw a net over such a small tree and reduce

the attacks from insects. If you have no fungus problems, consider yourself
lucky.
Check out Gene Yale's posting on www.midfex.org where he has filled his small
city yard with these miniature trees.

Sherwin D.

Old 30-07-2006, 06:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

There is no magic bullet here. There are apple varieties like 'Williams Pride'
which
are disease resistant, but nobody has come out with an apple that has built in
resistance to insects.

Sherwin D.

Old 30-07-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

there are GMO, genetically modified organisms done with recombinant DNA methods, and
naturally resistant varieties. they are different. Ingrid

Stephen Henning wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

Organic people would be better off going for the genetically resistant
fruit.

In case you haven't checked, genetically resistant fruit has the
pesticides built in genetically like permethrin, the neurotoxin that
occurs naturally in chrysanthemum flowers. In fact the genetic
varieties splice genes from plants such as chrysanthemum to the desired
plants.

So you can have you pesticides externally applied or internally
generated. Take your pick.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 30-07-2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

making sure every fruit is picked and/or removed is essential to keeping the
"breeding ground" cleaned up. but I am sure you let friends, family and the
neighbors have what you cant use, right? Ingrid

"Arborsmith" wrote:

I have had good success without using pesticides at all. 5 kinds of
apples I always get more good ones than my family can eat. Asian pears
do fine. The peaches that are resistant to leaf curl are the only ones
that have done well. Plums, cherries, grapes galore I wish something
would start eating them, always have way to many to pick. I suggest
just trying to grow everything that you want and see what does the best
in the long run remember some years one kind of fruit with do the best
and another year something else is the champ. Verity is the key to good
production.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at