Old 15-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Pam

Default GardenWeb?

Cereoid-XXX wrote:

Not bitter at all. Its Spike's loss. He'd rather have a bunch of beginners
unable to answer each others questions than have anyone he considers a
threat to his little kingdom. You can be sure he now has far more people
banned than members. He has no interest in gardening or sharing info and has
said so. He does everything he can to discourage knowledgeable people from
taking part in the discussions. His GardenWeb is just an excuse for hustling
a few buck from advertisers. If the advertisers abandon the creep, the farce
will be ancient history.

I wish you could see first hand what an arbitrary mean spirited autocrat
Spike really is.

Once again you demonstrate you know nothing about which you post and you
continue to do it in a bitter, meanspirited and contentious manner. While there
may very well be a number of beginners visiting GardenWeb as there are here,
there is also an astonishingly complex network of regulars who post on a vairety
of forums that are extremely knowledgeable about their topics. Some are even
recognized experts in their fields. I have gotten a wealth of information from
that source on some rather esoteric topics including unusual species clematis
and uncommon conifers. The dialog on the professional forums (Landscape Design,
Propagation, Professional Gardening) is extremely informational and lively.

I can certainly see how you would look at it differently - the tone of your
postings would have you kicked off that site in seconds. I find it particularly
refreshing that that rude, bad tempered know-nothing know-it-alls such as
yourself don't last long as GardenWeb members. You have a lot of nerve calling
someone else an "arbitrary mean spirited autocrat". You have exactly the same
attitude to wreck gardens only you don't possess the authority to do anything
about it. An unmoderated group such as this is the only vehicle you are able to
access to dish out your dirt..

Pot, kettle, black.

pam - gardengal

Old 15-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Cereoid-XXX

Pam, you ignorant slut. You are not fooling anyone with your drivel and
lies. I bet you have learned a lot about gardening lying with your back on
the ground and your legs up in the air. You are not even worthy enough to
kiss my garden hose.

It is abundantly clear that the only reason you are the only one infatuated
with the widely despised evil Spike Hernandez, the pseudonym of Robert
Stewart, the autocratic dictator of the GardenWeb is because he pays you for
doing sexual favors. You may have absolutely no morals and are so
promiscuous you are willing to sell your body to such an evil troll for a
few shekels but none of the rest of us would go along with your STD riddled
lame excuses for a good time cheap gardening frolic. You don't stop at just
speading false praise for your garden pimp. The only wealth you have gotten
there is in exchange for your skanky services as a hoochie. The only
regulars you know are the poor decrepit old geezers that can't get anything
better than a cheap hoe trollop like you. I'm not surprised that you like to
frequent honkey tonks and sleazy bars on the other side of the tracks
constantly searching for some of that black pot kettle you know you can't
get enough of. You make me sick.

Quid pro quo!

Old 15-04-2003, 09:08 PM
IntarsiaCo

have gotten a wealth of information from
that source on some rather esoteric topics including unusual species clematis
and uncommon conifers.

Yup, Bob Fincham is an expert on conifers and he posts there.
Old 15-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Audrey

Actually, I thought it was very clever to use cookies to redirect
access! (Contrary to what others may believe, some people garden,
program computers, and even golf! :-)

The ability of any website to write cookies on your computer is
controlled by you (by allowing the capability via the
preferences/settings of your preferred browser -- e.g., Internet
Explorer or Netscape). For example, under Netscape:Edit:Preferences
select the Advanced section and you'll see that you can set the option
to accept all cookies, only those from your website, etc.) Cookies
are simple little entries in a file maintained on your computer. In
fact, you *could* directly edit the cookie file and remove and cookies
that someone had left (get the idea?).

A firewall is used for protection... in both directions. Without
getting too complicated, it can be used to block computers, or entire
subnets/domains of computers, from accessing your site. Or, as in the
case of an employer, it could be used to block OUTWARD access (e.g.,
to keep you from accessing certain sites while you're at work).
Firewalls have nothing to do with cookies, except that if they block
access to a site, then software at that site clearly cannot write a
cookie to your computer!

Been lurking on and off at this group for years. Have even posted a
few odd times -- but never got any replies to my posts. I'd hope at
least *someone* would find my information helpful, and be glad that I
*did* post this too.

Audrey.

"Frodoville" wrote in message ...
I was wondering about how you said he uses the cookies on your computer.
Can that still happen if you have a fire wall?

--
Jam

(remove the "m" )

"Alice Gamewell" wrote in message
Try
www.Gardenguides.com or www.seedswappers.org. Garden Web stinks. It
is owned
by one guy and even though you follow his rules, if you post something he

doesn't
like , he will never let you post again, by using the cookies on your

computer, he
sends you to a to a Disney site instead.
Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

Old 15-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Alice Gamewell

1) I do not cuss. You are assuming I am doing something wrong.
I2) I recommend the company once. After asking Spike what I did wrong, he said he did
not like to company. How am I supposed to know that?
3) I have the right to sign up on any site as long as the rules are followed. Hint: my
husband was able to prevent Spike from using the cookies on my computor. My right
again.
4) Just becuase Spike did not ban you does not mean that other people he did were wrong.

The guy is a jerk.

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

Alice Gamewell wrote:

Try www.Gardenguides.com or www.seedswappers.org. Garden Web stinks. It is owned
by one guy and even though you follow his rules, if you post something he doesn't
like, he will never let you post again, by using the cookies on your computer, he
sends you to a to a Disney site instead.

Easily circumvented .. and you end up at Disney for posting
Javascript or cuss words.

I once posted a reply recommending acompany I like.

How many times did you recommend the company?

He banned me from using the site and e-mailed me how he did not
like the company. Apparently only the businesses he likes can be posted as replies
when someone asks for a recommendation. About a year later, after changing my
email address, I posted an intresting article on GMO foods. Many other people
posted intresting articles too. I was bannned again because he did not like the
article.

Signing up again, after being banned, is not a good idea.

There have been frequent posts about Garden Web. Personally I think it is Garden
Web trying to advertise on this site. But if you ever read the replys, you will
see not many people are pleased with them.

I have never had a problem with GardenWeb ... but I don't have a
garden related business.

Spike is very good about blocking commercial use of the site, and
I have recieved almost no spam at the emailaddress I use there.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Old 15-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Alice Gamewell

Thanks for the post. My husband removed the cookies off my computor too.
I am sincerely glad you have not had trouble with GardenWeb, but others have even though
Spikes rules are followed. I emailed Sponsors and other users of the site after Spike banned me.
Actually others removed the cookies off their computor so they could continue posting. At times other
posts on this site had similar complants about garden web. Spike is very controlling. An opinion or
recommendation is not necessarly wrong, but Spikes view of any recommdation of a company he does not
like as wrong. I cannot help if Spike had trouble with a company I recommended. That is a problem he
has that I am not aware about. And to be banned becaause he did not like it is controlling.

As I stated previously I am not the only one who this happened too. People cannot assume I did
something wrong just becuase it hasn't happened to them yet.

Old 16-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:57:30 -0400, Purchgdss wrote:

What's the deal with this one? Interesting concept of swap of plants and
seeds.
Heck. Next year I could probably get some awesome stuff!

What are your experiences with it?

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

I love the GardenWeb site. I've had NO problems with it at all in the 4 or
5 months I've been reading and posting to the various forums. TONS of
excellent advice there.
Old 16-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Frodoville

Thank you for explaining so thoroughly, Audrey. When I switched from AOL and
started using another ISP my son put the firewall on. He had just told me
not to worry, the bad guys couldn't get in.

I've been reading the Garden Web for a few years now. I think it's great!

--
Jam

(remove the "m" )

om...

Old 16-04-2003, 02:08 AM
David J. Bockman

Some types of contributions have no monetary value. Expert opinions, when
contributed to a forum gratis, helped to drive more visitors to the site.
Once there, the visitor sees click-through advertising or other banners.
Having a link to your own site in your signature is universally accepted
practice on Usenet and in 99.99% of the bulletin board discussion lists. In
fact I can't think of another BB I've visited, much less participated in,
that doesn't allow it nor the mention of a (non-paying advertiser's) URL
when it will benefit the poster's query. Everyone benefits in an open
arrangement. The owner of the bulletin board benefits because his search
engine ranking increases, thus he can charge more for his advertising rates,
and the increased viewership means more visitors to the advertisers. The
contributor benefits by having his or her opinion disseminated widely, thus
making his presence known around the WWW. The discussions themselves benefit
as the level of discourse rises. Sub-discussions spin off just like they do
here, sometimes into fascinating areas tangential to gardening.

Squashing a contributor or 'sending them to Disney' simply because they
leave their home address and a way to contact them creates a 'chilling
effect' that severely dampens the whole process. The level of discourse on
gardenweb has certainly hit rock bottom, in my opinion.

May the owner of that forum conduct it in any manner he wishes? Of course, I
don't deny that. I just think it's bad judgment.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

"Alice Gamewell" wrote in message
Try
www.Gardenguides.com or www.seedswappers.org. Garden Web stinks. It
is owned
by one guy and even though you follow his rules, if you post something he

doesn't
like , he will never let you post again, by using the cookies on your

computer, he
sends you to a to a Disney site instead. I once posted a reply

recommending a
company I like. He banned me from using the site and e-mailed me how he

did not
like the company. Apparently only the businesses he likes can be posted

as replies
when someone asks for a recommendation. About a year later, after

changing my
email address, I posted an intresting article on GMO foods. Many other

people
posted intresting articles too. I was bannned again because he did not

like the
article.

I complained to sponsors. Many said they had no intention of using him

for
advertizing anymore because he even is nasty to them.

There have been frequent posts about Garden Web. Personally I think it is

Garden
Web trying to advertise on this site. But if you ever read the replys,

you will
see not many people are pleased with them.

The best moderated forum on the web is www.Gardenguides.com. A very nice

group.
Avoid GardenWeb

Old 16-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Purchgdss

snip ignorant obnoxious autocratic dictatorial drivel

It is abundantly clear that the only reason you are the only one infatuated
with the widely despised evil Spike Hernandez, the pseudonym of Robert
Stewart, the autocratic dicta

snip more inadequate vocabulary

I can see why you were "blocked". Nuff said.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

Old 16-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Cereoid-XXX

You are just another cloistered virginal wannabe with no sense of humor that
was asleep throughout their own generation.

Old 16-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Cereoid-XXX

You should explain it in greater detail for the holier than thou twinkies in
the group like Christine, Kristen and Pam who just don't get it. They are
too naive to realize their time will come one day too. They are not immune
to Spike's arbitray wrath.

Old 16-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Pam

Cereoid-XXX wrote:

An impressive presentation of fairly obscene drivel which I hope everyone who
harbored any remnant of goodwill towards you has read. This is indeed a stellar
example of the Cereoid we know and certainly do not love. The ignorance is
yours, my not so good fellow, and very ably demonstrated yet again.

This is a first for me - welcome to my killfile.

Old 16-04-2003, 01:20 PM
KrisHur

There was nothing funny about that disgusting post Steven and proves my
point about why you were banned from GardenWeb.

That did it for me too. This will be my first killfile entrant from this ng.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY