Old 14-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Purchgdss

Default GardenWeb?

What's the deal with this one? Interesting concept of swap of plants and seeds.
Heck. Next year I could probably get some awesome stuff!

What are your experiences with it?

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 14-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Alice Gamewell

Try www.Gardenguides.com or www.seedswappers.org. Garden Web stinks. It is owned
by one guy and even though you follow his rules, if you post something he doesn't
like , he will never let you post again, by using the cookies on your computer, he
sends you to a to a Disney site instead. I once posted a reply recommending a
company I like. He banned me from using the site and e-mailed me how he did not
like the company. Apparently only the businesses he likes can be posted as replies
when someone asks for a recommendation. About a year later, after changing my
email address, I posted an intresting article on GMO foods. Many other people
posted intresting articles too. I was bannned again because he did not like the
article.

I complained to sponsors. Many said they had no intention of using him for
advertizing anymore because he even is nasty to them.

There have been frequent posts about Garden Web. Personally I think it is Garden
Web trying to advertise on this site. But if you ever read the replys, you will
see not many people are pleased with them.

The best moderated forum on the web is www.Gardenguides.com. A very nice group.
Avoid GardenWeb

Old 14-04-2003, 07:20 AM
yew

"Alice Gamewell" wrote:

Garden Web stinks.

Well, I don't have much experience with the regular forums there, but the
seed swaps are great. Never had a problem there, and I've been swapping
seeds for many years.

Brina

Old 14-04-2003, 01:20 PM
KrisHur

I love GardenWeb and have never had a problem with Spike. He doesn't check
every message that comes in, someone makes a complaint, he checks it out and
takes action if necessary. Someone is either spamming or using foul
language or posting OT to get kicked off. I love that, I don't want people
who are financially interested promoting their products. I don't want to
read foul language, I stopped reading rec.gardens.roses b/c of all the
trolls. And I like that he keeps the groups focused on gardening and not
politics or religion or any other crap.

B/c of Garden Web I met a few local gardeners at a plant swap and we had a
great time. So good we are doing it again! The gardeners in the Southern CT
area are having another swap on May 3--at the last one I got all kinds of
good stuff: Black Mondo grass, Geraniums, Plox, ferns, allium, Galium
odoratum, lamium, and a huge gorgeous peony. I gave away: Dr. Rupple
Clematis, Campanula punctata "Wedding Bells", daylilies, hostas.

This year I have a lot of stuff to bring as I'm changing a lot of plants. I
like that I can find them a good home rather than tossing them. I'm taking,
Centaurea montana, some mis-named bright yellow asiatic lilies, platycodon
alba and mariesi seedlings, Gailardia "Burgundy", Monarda "Scorpion" and
some dahlias.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 14-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Cereoid-XXX

Will someone please tell Spike that KrisHur has been spamming and using foul
language on GardenWeb so Prissy Krissy can see the full wrath of that evil
despot showing his true colors? She will be banned faster than she can say
"What the freak happened?"!! She will also see first hand that Spike doesn't
practice what he preaches when she makes an inquiry and gets a reply full of
foul language.

Garden trolls in the rose gardens? Well isn't that special?

Old 14-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Frodoville

I was wondering about how you said he uses the cookies on your computer.
Can that still happen if you have a fire wall?

--
Jam

(remove the "m" )

Old 15-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Cereoid-XXX

This is a gardening group not a computer science class, you Frito Bugger.

That would be asking why Hobbits have tiny penises!

Old 15-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Alice Gamewell

Sorry, I am not sure what a firewall is. I do know that if he bans you from
using his site, any time you try to post , you will be sent to www.Disney.com.

Spike is not running a moderated group. He is like a dictator. Even though
you follow the rules he posts, if he does not agree with what you said he will
no longer let you post.

I obey the rules of moderated groups as it should be. But when someone only
lets the opinions to be posted of those he agress with, it goes to
dictatorship.

When I complained to sponsors of his group about Spikes behavior I received
many sympathic replies. One person who paid him to advertise said he was even
banned from posting after he made Spike mad. There are a lot of people who do
not like him.

As for nice seed trading news groups, there are many out there, two of which I
listed that are excellent. No game playing with them.

As for this orginal post, I see similar ones like this on newsgroups. the
writing style is often the same. I feel that Spike often is putting posts out
there like this to advertise his site.
As I said previously there are too many good moderated forums out there to put
up with the stuff Spike dishes out.

Old 15-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Purchgdss

As for this orginal post, I see similar ones like this on newsgroups. the
writing style is often the same. I feel that Spike often is putting posts
out
there like this to advertise his site.

I can assure you I'm not "Spike" as I have a long history on UseNet and I take
offense at your implication. In the same vein, perhaps you have your own
personal agenda besides "sparing us" from the dictatorship?

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 15-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Alice Gamewell wrote:

Try www.Gardenguides.com or www.seedswappers.org. Garden Web stinks. It is owned
by one guy and even though you follow his rules, if you post something he doesn't
like, he will never let you post again, by using the cookies on your computer, he
sends you to a to a Disney site instead.

Easily circumvented .. and you end up at Disney for posting
Javascript or cuss words.

I once posted a reply recommending acompany I like.

How many times did you recommend the company?

He banned me from using the site and e-mailed me how he did not
like the company. Apparently only the businesses he likes can be posted as replies
when someone asks for a recommendation. About a year later, after changing my
email address, I posted an intresting article on GMO foods. Many other people
posted intresting articles too. I was bannned again because he did not like the
article.

Signing up again, after being banned, is not a good idea.

There have been frequent posts about Garden Web. Personally I think it is Garden
Web trying to advertise on this site. But if you ever read the replys, you will
see not many people are pleased with them.

I have never had a problem with GardenWeb ... but I don't have a
garden related business.

Spike is very good about blocking commercial use of the site, and
I have recieved almost no spam at the emailaddress I use there.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 15-04-2003, 12:44 PM
KrisHur

Bitter? You may be incredibly smart but are way to harsh for most moderated
groups.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

y.com...

Old 15-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Cereoid-XXX

Not bitter at all. Its Spike's loss. He'd rather have a bunch of beginners
unable to answer each others questions than have anyone he considers a
threat to his little kingdom. You can be sure he now has far more people
banned than members. He has no interest in gardening or sharing info and has
said so. He does everything he can to discourage knowledgeable people from
taking part in the discussions. His GardenWeb is just an excuse for hustling
a few buck from advertisers. If the advertisers abandon the creep, the farce
will be ancient history.

I wish you could see first hand what an arbitrary mean spirited autocrat
Spike really is.