Old 23-04-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Where should I plant Mugwort?

I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I know
it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my horses near
my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any recommendations?
There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really care if it takes over
but what will be the best place for it?

My soil is mostly Indiana clay. Zone 5.
Old 24-04-2007, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 23, 3:10 pm, EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
wrote:
I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I know
it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my horses near
my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any recommendations?
There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really care if it takes over
but what will be the best place for it?

My soil is mostly Indiana clay. Zone 5.

Mugwort aka Artemisia vulgaris prefers Full Sun. It's not fussy about
soil, prefers poor to average, but does need good drainage. So find
the least 'wet' clay area. Maybe provide a raised area for better
drainage. Moderate water to fairly dry.
The only caution I find is "prolonged use of large doses may damage
nervous system" I can't see horses liking it, as it is very bitter,
but
sometimes they do weird things..........
And, yes, the perennial ones do spread rapidly.
Emilie

Old 24-04-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:10:17 +0000 (UTC), EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
wrote:

I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I know
it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my horses near
my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any recommendations?
There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really care if it takes over
but what will be the best place for it?

My soil is mostly Indiana clay. Zone 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugwort

It's invasive and toxic. If I had an animal which could even
potentially snip a bit and chew, I'd eliminate it from my garden.
Old 24-04-2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I
know it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my
horses near my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any
recommendations? There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really
care if it takes over but what will be the best place for it?

My soil is mostly Indiana clay. Zone 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugwort

It's invasive and toxic. If I had an animal which could even
potentially snip a bit and chew, I'd eliminate it from my garden.

And yet it's not listed in HORSE OWNER'S FIELD GUIDE TO TOXIC PLANTS and
they seem to have EVERYTHING in there -- even things that are mildly toxic.
Hmm.

Old 24-04-2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugwort

It's invasive and toxic. If I had an animal which could even
potentially snip a bit and chew, I'd eliminate it from my garden.

http://www.holistic-online.com/Herba...Herbs/h267.htm

Mugwort

Bitter tonic, stimulant, nervine tonic, emmenagogue, laxative,
diaphoretic

Mugwort can be used wherever a digestive stimulant is called for. It
will aid the digestion through the bitter stimulation of the juices
whilst also providing a carminative oil. It has a mildly nervine action
in aiding depression and easing tension, which appears to be due to the
volatile oil, so it is essential that this is not lost in preparation.
Mugwort may also be used as an emmenagogue in the aiding of normal
menstrual flow.

Combinations : May be used widely where a bitter action is needed.
Dosage:

Infusion: pour a cup of boiling water onto 1-2 teaspoonfuls of the dried
herb and leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes in a covered container. This
should be drunk three times a day. Mugwort is used as a flavoring in a
number of aperitif drinks.

Tinctu take l-4ml of the tincture three times a day.
-------

So you pays your money and takes your chances.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 24-04-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I
know it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my
horses near my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

That's quite a handle you have there. Not sure where to grab on to it.
Any way, you may find http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/mugwort.html
interesting. I know nothing about the authority of the author.

Old 24-04-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Rose wrote in news:rosefam-
:

In article ,
wrote:

I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I
know it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my
horses near my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

That's quite a handle you have there. Not sure where to grab on to it.
Any way, you may find
http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/mugwort.html
interesting. I know nothing about the authority of the author.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Thanks, Bill. My handle changes from day to day but I'll answer to FW.

Old 24-04-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:49:06 +0000 (UTC), EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
wrote:

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I
know it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my
horses near my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any
recommendations? There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really
care if it takes over but what will be the best place for it?

My soil is mostly Indiana clay. Zone 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugwort

It's invasive and toxic. If I had an animal which could even
potentially snip a bit and chew, I'd eliminate it from my garden.

And yet it's not listed in HORSE OWNER'S FIELD GUIDE TO TOXIC PLANTS and
they seem to have EVERYTHING in there -- even things that are mildly toxic.
Hmm.

It may not be toxic to horses, but I wouldn't put it where animals
could eat it as graze. Horses may not bother with it because of its
strong aroma, but a pinch of precaution...
Old 24-04-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

EvilGoddessFragileWarrior wrote:
I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I know
it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my horses near
my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any recommendations?
There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really care if it takes over
but what will be the best place for it?

I'm in TN and mine is in partial sun facing south with it's back to
honeysuckle. It's come back every year but it hasn't spread.

Another use that others haven't mentioned is to use it as a dream
enhancer - I've made dream pillows using it.

Kate

Old 25-04-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:28:34 -0500, kate wrote:

EvilGoddessFragileWarrior wrote:
I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I know
it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my horses near
my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any recommendations?
There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really care if it takes over
but what will be the best place for it?

I'm in TN and mine is in partial sun facing south with it's back to
honeysuckle. It's come back every year but it hasn't spread.

Another use that others haven't mentioned is to use it as a dream
enhancer - I've made dream pillows using it.

Kate

With all due respect, herbs can be extremely dangerous. I suggest
anyone thinking of using herbs for any reason, ingestion, smelling,
burning, eating, drinking the tea of, etc. needs to vigilantly
research all the implications invloved. Sometimes herbs oils can be
volitile and even effect your health systemically through skin. Just
be careful.
Old 25-04-2007, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

[...]

With all due respect, some people are very sensitive. The least little
artificial compound or odd protein can have catastrophic results for
some people but many plants have been used as medicines long before
modern pharmaceutical made their appearance. For sure, be careful, check
out what you are ingesting and start small, but don't be paranoid. Long
before Merck, and Pfizer, mother nature provided our pharmaceutical
needs. It doesn't have to come in a bottle to be good for you.
Old 25-04-2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default herbs being dangerous

With all due respect, herbs can be extremely dangerous. I suggest
anyone thinking of using herbs for any reason, ingestion, smelling,
burning, eating, drinking the tea of, etc. needs to vigilantly
research all the implications invloved. Sometimes herbs oils can be
volitile and even effect your health systemically through skin. Just
be careful.

So- what do you classify as 'herb' ?
Old 25-04-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:17:24 GMT, Merry wrote:

With all due respect, herbs can be extremely dangerous. I suggest
anyone thinking of using herbs for any reason, ingestion, smelling,
burning, eating, drinking the tea of, etc. needs to vigilantly
research all the implications invloved. Sometimes herbs oils can be
volitile and even effect your health systemically through skin. Just
be careful.

So- what do you classify as 'herb' ?

A herb is any plant which has a useful purpose outside of being
ornamental. A plant which either produces essential oils, has
medicinal properties, a plant to be used to make teas, infusions,
poltice or to cure or help symptoms of ill health.

A zinnia, for example, is not a herb. It is an ornamental annual.
That I know of, it has no other useful purpose other than to
butterflies and bees.

One of the best reference books is "A Modern Herbal." It used to be
in two volumes and is now in one volume full of fascinating
information.
Old 25-04-2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:35:37 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

[...]

How is what you said any different than what I said? I said for
people to check it out before just using herbs, thinking they are
perfectly safe because they grow in the garden. Most of our drugs
today are still made of plant extracts, including those of Merck and
Pfizer (whose stock I dumped a long time ago).

I wasn't inciting anyone to be paranoid, just that if someone says it
on the Internet, doesn't make it so and that includes what I say as
well.

I know someone who has a son and he heard he could trip on datura and
he ate some seeds, overdosed and is no catatonic. Oh, it's only a
herb. Pot is a herb, but it's illegal. Cocaine is a herb, also
illegal. You get my point and if not, that's okay too.

[IMG] code is On

mugwort dumplings (ssukdanja), mugwort soup (ssuktang) ... James Edible Gardening 2 24-05-2006 05:24 AM
Rid lawn and garden of Wild Chrysanthemum aka Mugwort Chris Shenton Gardening 0 08-05-2004 01:04 AM
Mugwort Sund00bie Australia 2 12-04-2004 09:33 AM
growing mugwort Elisobella Australia 0 31-10-2003 01:42 PM
When should we plant Ranunculus in Melbourne John Wilkins Australia 0 04-03-2003 07:49 AM