Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default When deadhead Clivia?

Should I cut off flower spike as soon as blossoms fall?

Or wait how long, and why?

TIA

Persephone
Old 05-05-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:05:58 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Should I cut off flower spike as soon as blossoms fall?

Or wait how long, and why?

TIA

Persephone

Nobody has answered on this.

I went to the Web, and found, inter alia, this comment about watering:

**************

Water regularly, spring through fall. Try to water around, not on, the
bulb and avoid wetting the leaves.

**************

Gwacious! Why "avoid wetting the leaves"? Straight question.

I have, in fact, made a point of rinsing them off from time to time
because here (So Calif coastal) there's no natural rainfall to
clean the leaves.

Does this really hurt them? Why?

(Don't forget the original question about when to deadhead!)

Persephone
Old 07-05-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 05 May 2007 13:30:42 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:05:58 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Should I cut off flower spike as soon as blossoms fall?

Or wait how long, and why?

TIA

Persephone

Nobody has answered on this.

I went to the Web, and found, inter alia, this comment about watering:

**************

Water regularly, spring through fall. Try to water around, not on, the
bulb and avoid wetting the leaves.

**************

Gwacious! Why "avoid wetting the leaves"? Straight question.

I have, in fact, made a point of rinsing them off from time to time
because here (So Calif coastal) there's no natural rainfall to
clean the leaves.

Does this really hurt them? Why?

(Don't forget the original question about when to deadhead!)

Persephone

Am VERY curious about not wetting Clivia leaves.

Anybody?

Persephone
Old 08-05-2007, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 5, 1:30 pm, Persephone wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:05:58 -0700, Persephone wrote

I went to the Web, and found, inter alia, this comment about watering:

**************

Water regularly, spring through fall. Try to water around, not on, the
bulb and avoid wetting the leaves.

**************

Gwacious! Why "avoid wetting the leaves"? Straight question.
I have, in fact, made a point of rinsing them off from time to time
because here (So Calif coastal) there's no natural rainfall to
clean the leaves.

Does this really hurt them? Why?

(Don't forget the original question about when to deadhead!)

Persephone

Hi Perse
I have checked 6 books* clivia
I found absolutely nothing about "avoid wetting leaves/bulb"
The only advice about watering was " keep fairly dry in winter,
increase water in spring, summer" Most of the advice was
about growing in greenhouse/pots. So the only reason I can think
of would be that by avoiding wetting the leaves/bulb in a potted
plant you would avoid rot/fungus in the winter??

The only comment deadheading came from Sunset W
Grden Bk: "Flowers are followed by ornamental red berries."
So if you want ORBs don't deadhead at all!

* AHortSoc, Botanica, Reader's Digest, Time-Life, Wymans
and Sunset WGB
Emilie
NorCal with 94 warm degrees today (shade)

Old 08-05-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7 May 2007 18:15:59 -0700, mleblanca wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much, Nor.Cal. sister for the thoughtful
research! So I get a free pass on rinsing off dusty leaves!

As to the ORBs, if I let them form, won't I be inhibiting
the plant from putting up new flower spikes in next cycle?

IOW, having made seeds, won't the plant think, as most flowers do,
"OK, having provided for the next generation, now I can die."?

Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 8, 10:50 am, Persephone wrote:

IOW, having made seeds, won't the plant think, as most flowers do,
"OK, having provided for the next generation, now I can die."?

Annuals might think that, but bulbs usually don't.
Daffodils, tulips, iris, all seem to flower on time the next year even
when
I miss a few and they set seeds. And it certainly doesn't deter the
arums at all. Since none of those bulbs die, clivia is not likely to
either.
(But I am just guessing)
Do you have more than one plant; if so, why not try
it with one? You can deadhead the ORBs when they begin to dry
up or ripen....And the flowers might not even get pollinated, so
there wouldn't be any berries at all.

Trivial fact: Clivia was named for Lady Clive, Duchess of North-
umberland, who grew the first flowers of Clivia nobilis in the
UK.
Emilie

Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8 May 2007 19:48:39 -0700, mleblanca wrote:

On May 8, 10:50 am, Persephone wrote:

IOW, having made seeds, won't the plant think, as most flowers do,
"OK, having provided for the next generation, now I can die."?

Annuals might think that, but bulbs usually don't.

Mmm...I didn't know that...!

Daffodils, tulips, iris, all seem to flower on time the next year even
when
I miss a few and they set seeds. And it certainly doesn't deter the
arums at all. Since none of those bulbs die, clivia is not likely to
either.
(But I am just guessing)
Do you have more than one plant; if so, why not try
it with one? You can deadhead the ORBs when they begin to dry
up or ripen....And the flowers might not even get pollinated, so
there wouldn't be any berries at all.

Aha! That's a good scientific way of approaching the problem.
Thanks.

Trivial fact: Clivia was named for Lady Clive, Duchess of North-
umberland, who grew the first flowers of Clivia nobilis in the
UK.
Emilie

Yeah, I saw that at a Web site. Would be SO kewl to have a flower
named after one. Or a star...or a planet...heck, I'd settle for an
asteroid!

Persephone
Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 8, 10:50 am, Persephone wrote:

As to the ORBs, if I let them form, won't I be inhibiting
the plant from putting up new flower spikes in next cycle?

P.
I just realized I meant to say something re this question

Do your Clivias rebloom later in the summer/fall?
Or are they one-time bloomers?
If they are one timers, then it doesn't matter when
or if you deadhead or leave ORBS. The plants will
bloom OK next year.
But if they DO rebloom. then yes, they should be deadheaded
right after the first blooms fade in order to rebloom later in the
summer/fall of the same year. (:does that make sense?)

OT: have just been watching the Griffith Park fire. Very BAD.
are you near the park? I remember many wonderful hours
spent at the various venues of Griffith Park (many years ago)
2% humidity!!!WOW that is really LOW.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 10-05-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
No Name

My clivia minata have been watered by sprinklers for years and are doing
just fine. I cut off the stalks after the flowers drop just because it
looks better. The only times the plants haven't done well is when they
get too much direct sunlight.

Albert

Persephone wrote:
: On Sat, 05 May 2007 13:30:42 -0700, Persephone wrote:

: On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:05:58 -0700, Persephone wrote:
:
:
: **************
:

Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
No Name

By the way, I accidentally decapitated a clivia a few months ago: the whole
top green part of the plant broke clean off from the roots! I kept the top
part in a bucket with about an inch of water and kept it under lights. It
has sent out small roots and even a full size flower stalk. Nothing has
emerged from the roots yet however.

Albert

Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9 May 2007 18:15:25 -0700, mleblanca wrote:

On May 8, 10:50 am, Persephone wrote:

As to the ORBs, if I let them form, won't I be inhibiting
the plant from putting up new flower spikes in next cycle?

P.
I just realized I meant to say something re this question

Do your Clivias rebloom later in the summer/fall?
Or are they one-time bloomers?

Duh...I'm fairly sure they are one-timers, but that gives you
an idea of how good a witness I'd be on a criminal trial!
Not your most observant...

If they are one timers, then it doesn't matter when
or if you deadhead or leave ORBS. The plants will
bloom OK next year.
But if they DO rebloom. then yes, they should be deadheaded
right after the first blooms fade in order to rebloom later in the
summer/fall of the same year. (:does that make sense?)

Yes, makes perfect sense. Based on your input and that of other
posters, I'd lose nothing and possibly gain another bloom cycle (stay
tunes) by deadheading fairly soon after bloom.

OT: have just been watching the Griffith Park fire. Very BAD.
are you near the park? I remember many wonderful hours
spent at the various venues of Griffith Park (many years ago)
2% humidity!!!WOW that is really LOW.

Emilie
NorCal

Thanks for your concern. I'm in Santa Monica, all the way across
town, so no danger. Griffith Park is really a wonderful, wonderful
place, which I frequented more often [censored] years ago when I lived
in L.A. and my little one was, well, *little.* Have not even been
back to the Observatory since they re-opened after a major remodel.
Can't park there now. Have to reserve and be shuttled in from Hwd or
the Valley. Or reserve and hike up.

Please indulge a mini-rant about getting to Griffith Park or almost
any place outside one's immediate neighborhood.

In recent years, traffic in LA area has become SO bad, that I hear
everybody saying they have given up going to
events/lectures/plays/concerts/whatever at any distance from home.
Griffith Park was always a schlep across town, even by car.
Now...forget it!

So I have decided to park my car for 'n' months and enter the
wonderful world of public transportation. Ins. co DOUBLED my premium
after an accident last year! Plus the $3.50 cost of gas. I just
decided I wasn't going to pay a fortune just to drag that big chunk of
metal a few blocks downtown and adjacent communities. We have
good bus transportation here, so it's do-able. Took off all but the
comp. insurance; am saving a bundle! It's great to "leave the
driving to [them]", but there IS the time factor; everything takes 2x
- 3x as long.

(takes deep breath; steps down from podium)

Persephone

Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

In recent years, traffic in LA area has become SO bad,

that places you used to be able to drive to in 20 minutes now take 45
minutes using Hwy. 5. Thirty years ago, when I was in 70 mph, bumper to
bumper traffic on the Ventura Freeway, it occurred to me that I could
put my car in neutral and no one would know.

At least, you can see what your breathing in La-La Land.

Formerly from behind the "Orange Curtail".

- Bill
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In recent years, traffic in LA area has become SO bad, that I hear
everybody saying they have given up going to
events/lectures/plays/concerts/whatever at any distance from home.
Griffith Park was always a schlep across town, even by car.
Now...forget it!

That is really a shame. There is so much "good stuff" there.

Exposition Park also comes to my memories

So I have decided to park my car for 'n' months and enter the
wonderful world of public transportation. Ins. co DOUBLED my premium
after an accident last year! Plus the $3.50 cost of gas. I just
decided I wasn't going to pay a fortune just to drag that big chunk of
metal a few blocks downtown and adjacent communities. We have
good bus transportation here, so it's do-able. Took off all but the
comp. insurance; am saving a bundle! It's great to "leave the
driving to [them]", but there IS the time factor; everything takes 2x
- 3x as long.

Good for you

I grew up in Long Beach and I attended my *0th High School reunion
there
in August. I hardly recognized the place. We came into LA on the
freeway,
and got off right away. Took the surface streets instead, at least
traffic
was moving and drivers were not quite "INSANE"

On Gardening: The local Calif Native Plant Society visited my garden
yesterday, and they have invited me to have my garden on their
native garden tour next Spring. That should be fun ;(and work) as
you probably can tell I love to talk about my garden!!

PS now I see that Catalina Island is on fire, too; and it is only May.
Emilie

Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2 Maj, 21:05, Persephone wrote:
Should I cut off flower spike as soon as blossoms fall?

Or wait how long, and why?

TIA

Persephone

you must do it, becouse when you cut off flower spike your flower
will be stronger

Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 May 2007 08:54:22 -0700, mleblanca wrote:

[...]

)
OK, that did it! I'm turning you in to the Bush environmental police.
There IS no thing as global warming, as the Administration has often
pointed out (while granting environment destructive conce$$ions to its
oil/timber/extractive industries sponsors).

The early arrival of fire season in So.Cal. is, therefore, a low-down
Democratic political ploy!

Persephone