Old 13-05-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default I'm about to eviscerate a lot of squirrels if I can't get some help.

"Travis M." wrote:

| | I doubt one could get a special permit to trap squirrels.
|
| 127 lines just for this?
|
|.....or 6KB.
|Can you express your connection speed in lines?

127 lines of "message" - virtually all quoted thread from other people.
Connection speed would be very relevant for folks on dial-up or other
slow/expensive connections.
For me it's just the irritation of having to scroll all the way down to find one
line of message that adds virtually nothing.
I know it's probably a waste of time responding, and I shouldn't do it, but once
in a while .....

Alexander
Old 14-05-2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

I ask people to top post if they are unwilling to hard prune.
if they wont and they do a couple "me toos" at the bottom I just killfile them.
Ingrid

Alexander Miller Alex@. wrote:
127 lines of "message" - virtually all quoted thread from other people.

For me it's just the irritation of having to scroll all the way down to find one
line of message that adds virtually nothing.
I know it's probably a waste of time responding, and I shouldn't do it, but once
in a while .....

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 15-05-2007, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

A .410 works great. We had them living in our attic. After we did an
extensive remodeling which involved ripping out most of the walls and all of
the ceilings in our house (not because of the squirrels), the critters tried
to come back. They would romp and play on the roof and tease and taunt me
as they frolicked and scampered about on the deck, even looking in the low
windows on the deck. My husband was totally against killing the beasts, but
he did trap a few in a sav-a-heart trap and took them to a deeply wooded
area 10 miles away. But, there were more of them than the trap could take
care of. As their assault on our dwelling continued, I knew it would just
be a matter of time till they would find, or MAKE, a way back into our home
again. That's when hubby sorrowfully got the .410. The man is a deer
hunter, and he has hunted and killed wild turkey and wild hogs, but
considered these fluffy tailed rats that built nests in our attic, chewed on
the wood up there, pooped, ****ed and reproduced up there, to be something
that shouldn't be killed ?????? I finally told him it was them or me and he
got his .410 and shot one! He told me about it, but didn't produce a
carcass for me to see. From then on, he had to bring me a squirrel tail to
prove he was doing the deed. I nailed them to the railing on the deck, the
one they used to romp on. Blessed peace reigned for a long time. Then,
when I started to see them again, and they taunted me every time I tried to
shoo them off the deck, I got me a slingshot. I got pretty good with it.
The little devils became aware of the yellow strap of the slingshot and
would run away as soon as they saw it. Now, peace is reigning again and
this time it has lasted for several years. I still see some, in the trees
where they belong, but nary a one has dared to approach my house or my deck.
if they do, well, I know what to do.

Gloria

"foo" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a thread destined to be flamed. So be it.

Dear PETA,

Don't read this.

onward.

I have squirrels (oh yes, those cutesy little scamps running around
with nuts in their mouths climbing trees and spreading glee throughout
the land) that are not only digging up my brand new seedlings but
terrorizing the pots they reside in as well. So far they have killed
at least ten burgeoning plants. No more. I'm going walking tall on
these punks very soon if I can't get some advice. (please).

So, without further adieu here is my question:

What is a safe and relatively easy alternative to preventing these
*******s from eating my seedlings (and digging into the soil)?

My first thought isn't safe- it involves a competition .22 with hot
ammo and a spray of blood so fanning that it will look like the skies
are raining death. Locked, cocked, and ready for squirrel.

These *******s taunt me. Sitting high-and-mighty in *my* trees which
I let them hang out in. They stare at me- they know me- I'm their
maker- the one they may meet. They casually dance through the
branches and always get away of course. But, from the bullet? Not
so much.

So with the secondary intention of actually saving these, ahem, a-
holes, can someone please recommend a safe solution to either
preventing them from eating my greens?

If necessary I will build a squirrel sanctuary. One with plenty of
weeds and expensive organic soil for them to dig through- sort of like
a bat house. They can sit there fancy-free and munch away at things
that nobody cares about. I will provide them a steady supply of nuts
during the winter and even crack them for them to not damage their
teeth. I will provide yearly dental checkups just in case. I will
warm their squirrel house's with a nice warm incandescent glow so they
may dine together on things OTHER THAN MY PLANTS.

Thank your your your attention to this pressing matter.

Old 15-05-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

PUH-LEASE! If you see a mouse in your house are you going to feed it and
protect it in case it has little ones?

Gloria

"Ash Williams" wrote in message
On 11 May 2007 17:55:44 -0700, Gary wrote:

A live trap might be an option. I've seen them for sale at farm and
ranch supply places for about $40.00 Also, some state divisions of
wildlife lend these out to property owners (probably on a limited
basis - and maybe for a fee???) but something to check into. I am
told that once you catch the little bugger you have to take it for
ride of at least 5 miles before releasing it, in order to keep it from
returning.
Hope this helps. Happy trapping!

And what if the trapped animal has a nest in a tree with young
depending on that squirrel for life? More killing. It disgusts me.

Old 15-05-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Squirrels dig up lots of stuff just to see if it's something they want.
They are attracted to freshly disturbed soil thinking that they have found
the cache of another animal to rob from. They're nasty, devious destructive
pests.

On 11 May 2007 16:11:06 -0700, foo wrote:

If necessary I will build a squirrel sanctuary. One with plenty of
weeds and expensive organic soil for them to dig through- sort of like
a bat house. They can sit there fancy-free and munch away at things
that nobody cares about. I will provide them a steady supply of nuts
during the winter and even crack them for them to not damage their
teeth. I will provide yearly dental checkups just in case. I will
warm their squirrel house's with a nice warm incandescent glow so they
may dine together on things OTHER THAN MY PLANTS.

Thank your your your attention to this pressing matter.

You just gave the answer. However, unless you see them in pots, as
you say, "living in them" they are not what is doing the damage.
Squirrels don't eat seedlings that I know of. They eat nuts, fruits,
and seeds, acorns, etc.

I just came in and there are aborted peaches on the ground and my
husband asked me if I thought it was the squirrels and I said, "I
don't care if it is."

Let it go. Killing is the worst thing you could do for yourself.
Please avoid that at all costs. Not to save the squirrels, but to
save the nightmare you'll have when you are a squirrel in another
lower life.

Old 15-05-2007, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 14, 9:13 pm, "Gloria" wrote:
Squirrels dig up lots of stuff just to see if it's something they want.
They are attracted to freshly disturbed soil thinking that they have found
the cache of another animal to rob from. They're nasty, devious destructive
pests.

But delicious, if prepared properly. It isn't often you get a chance
to eliminate vermin and fill the cook pot with the same shot.
I use a 22 and a pump-em-up pellet gun. Season here is nine months,
but they taste good year 'round. Coyotes get the coons.

cheers

oz, whose karma is just fine, thank you

Old 16-05-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gloria wrote:
[...]

I'm with you there, Gloria. I used to have a good wrist rocket and I use
glass marbles. I am quite a shot. My wrist rocket has gone missing
(after children resembling grandkids were here, so another one is in
need of Granny Maddie......they fear me when they see me. No yellow but
the sound of the door opening used to strike fear into their little
fluffy nutter hearts. I've discovered black walnut trees in the PATHS
now because they're too lazy to plant the nuts into the raised beds of
loose, rich soils. They come down the Pawlonia tree and taunt me as
they raid the bird buffet that they used to be banned from. So beware, I
am going to the Fart of Wall (Wall Fart) and purchasing a wrist rocket
and my bag of marbles and I hit what I aim's at, thank you very much.
Nothing like a glass marble careening towards you at full velocity! I
always hit the ass I aim at, and have cracked a few heads with the
marbles too! LOL Discovered a little nasty secret about Sugar
recently. She adores to kill squirrels and caught her shaking one she'd
gotten when it tried to divert her and go around the back of the tree.
She was out flanking it and was waiting for it when it went around the
back. Saw her come out the backside of a good sized hackberry tree with
a fluffy tailed nutter in her mouth and she shook it until she broke
it's back, then brought it to me and I told her good dawg and petted
her. tossed it into the bendejo's woods over the nine foot chain link
fence with the razor barbwire tops for the turkey vultures or coyote to
find (they will, in no time) or even the raccoons. I just wish they ate
Vinca Major!! LOL

madgardener up on the ridge where we desperately need RAIN, back in
Faerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone
7, Sunset zone 36 where we're in a red burning warning right now, the
lightening bugs are three weeks EARLY, the hummingbirds are five weeks
EARLY, and I ain't planted my squash seeds in the containers yet.......
Old 16-05-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 15 May 2007 02:13:49 GMT, "Gloria"
wrote:

Squirrels dig up lots of stuff just to see if it's something they want.
They are attracted to freshly disturbed soil thinking that they have found
the cache of another animal to rob from. They're nasty, devious destructive
pests.

And so cute! I've also noticed that they dig up where I've recently
planted. I solved the problem of their digging up my flower
containers by placing plenty of rocks around the plants when I arrange
them. The rocks also help hold in moisture (the containers are cement
and dry out quickly).

Sue(tm)
Old 16-05-2007, 09:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"madgardener" wrote in message
Gloria wrote:
[...]

Our Vanessa keeps the squirrels and racoons out of our back yard also.
She does the same to the squirrels as Sugar.
The racoons don't want to tangle with her after she got one of the
babies spring of 06.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington