Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default I'm about to eviscerate a lot of squirrels if I can't get some help.

On 11 May 2007 16:11:06 -0700, foo wrote:

If necessary I will build a squirrel sanctuary. One with plenty of
weeds and expensive organic soil for them to dig through- sort of like
a bat house. They can sit there fancy-free and munch away at things
that nobody cares about. I will provide them a steady supply of nuts
during the winter and even crack them for them to not damage their
teeth. I will provide yearly dental checkups just in case. I will
warm their squirrel house's with a nice warm incandescent glow so they
may dine together on things OTHER THAN MY PLANTS.

Thank your your your attention to this pressing matter.

You just gave the answer. However, unless you see them in pots, as
you say, "living in them" they are not what is doing the damage.
Squirrels don't eat seedlings that I know of. They eat nuts, fruits,
and seeds, acorns, etc.

I just came in and there are aborted peaches on the ground and my
husband asked me if I thought it was the squirrels and I said, "I
don't care if it is."

Let it go. Killing is the worst thing you could do for yourself.
Please avoid that at all costs. Not to save the squirrels, but to
save the nightmare you'll have when you are a squirrel in another
lower life.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 May 2007 17:55:44 -0700, Gary wrote:

A live trap might be an option. I've seen them for sale at farm and
ranch supply places for about $40.00 Also, some state divisions of
wildlife lend these out to property owners (probably on a limited
basis - and maybe for a fee???) but something to check into. I am
told that once you catch the little bugger you have to take it for
ride of at least 5 miles before releasing it, in order to keep it from
returning.
Hope this helps. Happy trapping!

And what if the trapped animal has a nest in a tree with young
depending on that squirrel for life? More killing. It disgusts me.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 12, 7:23 am, "helco" wrote:

And cats aren't especially useful against squirrels, which have exact
knowledge of cats' limitations (how far they can jump) and can tease them
mercilessly. Yes, on purpose -- I've seen squirrels lure a cat up into a
tree, only to run down the tree on the other side and then sneak up on the
cat from behind, chittering at it, while it was splayed helplessly on the
trunk above the squirrel. I also once saw a squirrel "train" a young cat on
its first Spring outing. The cat ran up a tree after the squirrel, which
turned around and boxed the young cat's ears -- yes, it hit the cat on both
ears with its paws! Luckily, the whole episode was repeated a few minutes
later, and, luckily, my daughter saw it too, or I would doubt whether it
actually happened.

LOL. Oh the indignity of it all!
Dora

Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo foo is offline

And not a single flame! Is Usenet growing up after 20 years?!

THANKS TO EVERYONE! I love the blood meal idea!!! And its good for my
plants!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lar" wrote in message
Travis M. wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

On May 11, 5:11 pm, foo wrote:

This is a thread destined to be flamed. So be it.

Dear PETA,

Don't read this.

onward.

I have squirrels (oh yes, those cutesy little scamps running around
with nuts in their mouths climbing trees and spreading glee
throughout
the land) that are not only digging up my brand new seedlings but
terrorizing the pots they reside in as well. So far they have
killed
at least ten burgeoning plants. No more. I'm going walking tall
on
these punks very soon if I can't get some advice. (please).

So, without further adieu here is my question:

What is a safe and relatively easy alternative to preventing these
*******s from eating my seedlings (and digging into the soil)?

My first thought isn't safe- it involves a competition .22 with hot
ammo and a spray of blood so fanning that it will look like the
skies
are raining death. Locked, cocked, and ready for squirrel.

These *******s taunt me. Sitting high-and-mighty in *my* trees
which
I let them hang out in. They stare at me- they know me- I'm their
maker- the one they may meet. They casually dance through the
branches and always get away of course. But, from the bullet?
Not
so much.

So with the secondary intention of actually saving these, ahem, a-
holes, can someone please recommend a safe solution to either
preventing them from eating my greens?

[...]

In Washington state trapping, live or otherwise is illegal.

You can get a permit in Wa state to trap...just have to jump through a
few hoops

from WAC 232-12-14----- Washington Administrative Code (WAC)
April 4, 2007

(6) A person seeking a special trapping permit shall submit a complete
application to the department. The applicant shall provide the
following information:

(a) Applicant's name, address, and telephone number.

(b) Location(s) of animal problem (physical address or legal
description including township, range, and section number).

(c) Description of the animal problem:

(i) Duration of the animal problem.

(ii) Description of the damage or potential damage being caused
(i.e., crop, timber, property, livestock, or pet animals, etc.).

(iii) Any threat or potential threat to the health and/or safety
of people.

(d) Species of animal causing the problem and, if known, the
number of animals involved.

(e) Description of the measures taken to prevent or alleviate the
problem or damage.

(f) Explanation of why the measures taken were ineffective to
abate the problem or why such measures could not reasonably or
effectively be used to abate the animal problem.

(g) Whether Conibear-type traps in water, padded foot-hold traps
or nonstrangling-type foot snares will be used.

(h) Species and number of animals to be removed.

I doubt one could get a special permit to trap squirrels.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-05-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Travis M." wrote:

| I doubt one could get a special permit to trap squirrels.

127 lines just for this?

Alexander
Old 13-05-2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Alexander Miller" Alex@. wrote in message
"Travis M." wrote:

| I doubt one could get a special permit to trap squirrels.

127 lines just for this?

......or 6KB.
Can you express your connection speed in lines?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 13-05-2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 May 2007 16:11:06 -0700, foo wrote:

This is a thread destined to be flamed. So be it.

Dear PETA,

Don't read this.

onward.

I have squirrels (oh yes, those cutesy little scamps running around
with nuts in their mouths climbing trees and spreading glee throughout
the land) that are not only digging up my brand new seedlings but
terrorizing the pots they reside in as well. So far they have killed
at least ten burgeoning plants. No more. I'm going walking tall on
these punks very soon if I can't get some advice. (please).

So, without further adieu

ADO

here is my question:

What is a safe and relatively easy alternative to preventing these
*******s from eating my seedlings (and digging into the soil)?

[...]

In case you do decide to "terminate them with extreme prejudice" (as
they used to ? say in the CIA), be sure to eviscerate *before*
broiling (or your preferred method of preparation).

Old 13-05-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 12, 10:55 am, foo wrote:
And not a single flame! Is Usenet growing up after 20 years?!

THANKS TO EVERYONE! I love the blood meal idea!!! And its good for my
plants!

Good luck with it. You have to be fairly vigilant about applying the
blood meal around the plants. And if they are really hungry, I don't
know how well it will work. One of my neighbors feeds every invasive
pest there is, and while it attracts scads of pigeons etc., the
squirrels probably don't dig up as many bulbs, etc. as they might
otherwise.

I don't think there are many gardeners who haven't had to contend with
squirrels and even if the gentler souls have probably felt like
throttling the little buggers. The last I saw of my sunflowers last
year was a fat little squirrel bum bouncing across the garden with the
entire flower head in his mouth.
Dora

Old 13-05-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:
[...]

Alrighty guys, Maddie here, speaking for me friend Ethyl who has the
fluffy tailed nutter by the Eastern Tennessee HORDES.........we have
worked on this for three years now, and we've come up with a PARTIAL
solution.. the main thing that deters the little shits is a good THICK
mulch of sharp and pointy rocks to deter them from digging..... they
ADORE deep, compost and loose mulchy soils. They THRIVE on the ideal
burying places of hanging pots, container gardens (I have discovered
numerous "volunteer" black walnuts growing in containers and I KNOW they
didn't fall into them......the offending black walnut trees on my
property are several scores of feet from these containers), thank
goodness they pull up easily...........the other deterrents appears to
be dusting with ground red cayenne pepper........I have decided that her
other problem, the nibbling bunny horrendous suburbius is the other
reason she has nibbled shoots of hosta, seedlings and such scattered
about......so I recommended a trial effort.......take petroleum Vaseline
and mix in the afore mentioned ground red cayenne pepper (I buy it in
restaurant sized containers at me local Sam's Club.........) and smear
it upon the plants.......maybe we could take some assorted nuts and
spritz them with peanut oil, sprinkle heavily with red cayenne pepper
and roast a bit to infuse them and see if the fluffy tailed nutters
"bite"..............

personally, I recommend a nice stew with some aeromatic's like celery, a
crunchy Vadalia onion and some garlic and simmered until tender, then
throw in some potato's, some carrots, a sweet potato and simmer until
the veggies are tender............yummmmmmmmmm!! as fat and HUGE as
Ethyl's are, it only would take two of them puppies (squirrels, not
puppies) to make a meal for four or five!! The biggest problem would be
of course if they LIKED the taste of the cayenne pepper and were Cajun
fluffy tailed nutters!

try the rocky mulch, though and the red pepper..........

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where the trees
are FINALLY recuperating from the hard freeze from a few weeks
ago.............

Old 13-05-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , madgardener
wrote:

On 11 May 2007 16:11:06 -0700, foo wrote:

This is a thread destined to be flamed. So be it.

Dear PETA,

Don't read this.

onward.

I have squirrels (oh yes, those cutesy little scamps running around
with nuts in their mouths climbing trees and spreading glee throughout
the land) that are not only digging up my brand new seedlings but
terrorizing the pots they reside in as well. So far they have killed
at least ten burgeoning plants. No more. I'm going walking tall on
these punks very soon if I can't get some advice. (please).

So, without further adieu

So you've had lots of advice. Who's gonna' stand-up Dr. Jekyll or Mr.
Hyde, St. Francis or Freddy Krueger? Who can walk taller?

- Bill
Old 13-05-2007, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12 May 2007 17:52:44 -0700, bungadora wrote:

On May 12, 10:55 am, foo wrote:
And not a single flame! Is Usenet growing up after 20 years?!

THANKS TO EVERYONE! I love the blood meal idea!!! And its good for my
plants!

Good luck with it. You have to be fairly vigilant about applying the
blood meal around the plants. And if they are really hungry, I don't
know how well it will work. One of my neighbors feeds every invasive
pest there is, and while it attracts scads of pigeons etc., the
squirrels probably don't dig up as many bulbs, etc. as they might
otherwise.

I don't think there are many gardeners who haven't had to contend with
squirrels and even if the gentler souls have probably felt like
throttling the little buggers.

You got that right!

Many tales to tell. The most recent: I put in 6 plants each of three
varieties of strawberries. Saw nice fat berries ripening. Went out
to pick -- surprise! Somebody had been there first. Had to improvise
a mickey-mouse fence with netting on type. So far, so good...

The last I saw of my sunflowers last
year was a fat little squirrel bum bouncing across the garden with the
entire flower head in his mouth.
Dora

Few years ago, my plum tree was on the way out. Only one limb still
bearing. I had to go out of town, and wasn't about to sacrifice those
few plums to THEM. Got a bunch of small paper bags and carefully tied
them around each plum. Lotta work. In vain. How did they get those
bags off???!!!!

Persephone
Old 13-05-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

I got one of those edible pit apricot trees from Stark.
5th year after it was planted it bloomed all over. I rubbed my hands gleefully and
thought, this is it. finally. well ..... the squirrels found the pits, they
stripped the entire tree of medium sized green apricots overnight to get those yummy
pits. I cut the tree down the next day. no use training squirrels to strip all
peach and apricot trees of fruit looking for those edible pits.

stark must know that those edible pits put the fruit at risk. I mean where in the
world is there a place doesnt have tree rats?

kill em, kill em all. Ingrid

Persephone wrote:
Few years ago, my plum tree was on the way out. Only one limb still
bearing. I had to go out of town, and wasn't about to sacrifice those
few plums to THEM. Got a bunch of small paper bags and carefully tied
them around each plum. Lotta work. In vain. How did they get those
bags off???!!!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 13-05-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Grandpa" wrote:
foo wrote:
[...]

I have squirrels [...]

Then build one of these:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f5d_1172741350

--
Grandpa

That is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen in months!

Seahag