Old 30-05-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

Default California gardening?

Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

Old 30-05-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

On May 30, 8:18 am, wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

I think you need to narrow your query to Northern, Central or Southern
California. Then ask what towns or cities should be eliminated from
consideration.
California has scores of towns / cities that fit youdr requirments.

Branson

Old 31-05-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

Certainly is cheaper inland but the central valley in the summer is HOT.
Talking 105 F with weeks off 100 F. I think the foothills is the latest
niche if you don't have to drive to work. I would think around an hour
from Redding, Sacremento or Fresno would be OK. All three are college
towns, so there would be some intellectual stimulation. Must be some
on-line realtors. Near Auburn, East of Sacremento, on Route 80, would
have you on the way up to Lake Tahoe. Down side would be that Sacremento
is a large employer, so the market may already be tight. I like hills
and lakes so, I'd probably prefer the Redding - Chico area. But if you
find the right house, it could be anywhere. Sit down before you look at
prices.

Good luck,
- Bill

My mom's house is for sale in Georgetown, Calif. It's
within a reasonable commute to Sacramento (about an hour
away), but it's up in the foothills at 2500' MSL, so it
doesn't get the brutal summer heat of the valley and doesn't
get the deep snows of the High Sierra.

Gorgeous house -- my little brother, the building contractor,
built it. My mom, with her green thumb & PhD in botany, laid it
out for easy/good gardening (the house & yard). (The inside looked
like a conservatory. I quit travelling with my mom because she
was always stealing cuttings, then smuggling them across state/
international borders. I was *so* freaking worried that we'd
get busted!)

The house sits on one acre, has it's own well, propane backup
generator (the power can go out for a week at a time in the hills),
woodburning fireplace with a heatalator thingy'bob along with
um, I think propane heat. (Gee, I'm not sure what the primary
heat is.) Air conditioning. Killer view. Decks. 2 car garage.
1-1/2 bedrooms, 2 baths. (Ma didn't want any of us to move home.
She put a futon in a small room that would make an awesome
home office.) Walk-in master closet and the master bath is
bigger than my kitchen.

Mature pine trees, two cherished cedar trees and one oak tree
on the property.

The house is in USDA Zone 7. Cold enough for apple/pear trees.
Hot enough to grow tomatoes out in the yard. Very nice growing
season!

The town has, oh, maybe a couple of thousand people. It's an
old Gold Rush town. Lots of Victorian buildings downtown and
a big supermarket down in the new mall a mile down the highway
from downtown. Ma's house is about a mile from downtown, headed
"upcountry."

Email for details...

Jan in Alaska

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 31-05-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

In article XKC7i.24632$NM.10368@trnddc02,
"T r a v i s" wrote:

"jangchub" wrote in message
On 30 May 2007 08:18:02 -0700, wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

If you are very wealthy and money is no object there is a beautiful
little town called Soquel. It's about an hour north of San Jose
airport and in the rain forest with huge redwoods, and on the ocean.
Just beautiful. Nice and cool in winter and not horrible in summer.

If you aren't very wealthy I'd say the Austin, TX area is far more
money wise and weather in winter is an average of 65 degrees during
the day with maybe one week of "sort of" freezing, and about one very
short lived ice storm a year.

Soquel is just East of Santa Cruz and way South of San Jose.
http://www.google.com/maps?q=Soquel,...i=map&ct=title

The writer said "INLAND". Soquel is just off Hwy. 1 (the coast highway).
Most of the time it will be cool and overcast. On days when there is a
heatwave inland, it is very pleasant. Prices are probably in the
$800,000 - $1,200,000 range. Prices have gotten high all along the
coast. A little less near Morro Bay, west of San Luis Obispo.
The most affordable coastal homes would be up in Humbolt and Del Norte
Counties but they have more rain than most places in the "Land of
Eternal Spring and Summer".

Look at the foot hills away from large metropolises, so that you don't
have to compete with commuters for your best deal.
- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum
Old 31-05-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

"T r a v i s" wrote:

"jangchub" wrote in message
[...]

It is also not North of San Jose or its airport.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 01-06-2007, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

On May 30, 3:42 pm, Branson Hunter wrote:
On May 30, 8:18 am, wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

I think you need to narrow your query to Northern, Central or Southern
California. Then ask what towns or cities should be eliminated from
consideration.
California has scores of towns / cities that fit youdr requirments.

Branson

I agree that you need to do a little traveling and research on NorCal,
SoCal and Central. There are too many small towns to even begin.
Inland could also mean Coast Range, Central Valley, Sierra Foothills.
Decide whether you want hot, foggy and damp, or snowy cold winters
etc.Growth rate, medical facilities, cultural: there's a lot to
consider.
Emilie
in NorCal Sacramento Valley

Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

I lived all over California. For relaxed living at "reasonable" prices,
consider the foothils, roughly along Hy 49, the old Goldrush Country. From
Grass Valley to Mariposa. Around 2000 feet altitude. The Valley is very hot
in summer and very foggy in winter. The coast is cool/cold in summer and
mild in winter.

Look for the cost of real estate, in all locations, on Realtor.com

Keep in mind that you lose 3.5 degrees temperature for every 1000 feet
elevation and 1.5 degrees for every 100 miles of latitude. (A huge
difference between San Francisco and San Diego, and between San Francisco
and Lake Tahoe)

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
ups.com...

Old 01-06-2007, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

-
wrote in message
ups.com...
Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

CA is a place you retire FROM. Unless your a multi=millionaire. Very high
prices, high taxes, high prices, and the people suck. If you may be sending
kids to school, they'll become idiots. It's the land of being Politically
Correct. I would go to the NW - Or, WA. ID. Up state NY is very nice (buy a
4-wheel jeep). But CA would be my last choice. I live in San Diego, CA.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

In article ,
"bob" wrote:

-
wrote in message
ups.com...
Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

CA is a place you retire FROM. Unless your a multi=millionaire. Very high
prices, high taxes, high prices, and the people suck. If you may be sending
kids to school, they'll become idiots. It's the land of being Politically
Correct. I would go to the NW - Or, WA. ID. Up state NY is very nice (buy a
4-wheel jeep). But CA would be my last choice. I live in San Diego, CA.

San Diego, a Navy city, a Republican City. California's version of
red-necks. Cops pack 45s. Their Representative "Duke" Cunningham was
just sentenced for selling defense contracts and the Fee Bees are
looking at the city to find out where the civil retirement funds went
to. The airport is a lot of fun too. Your plane will drop down among the
high rises before it lands. Exciting stuff. On the other hand, if you
are just passing through, there is Africa USA, the San Diego Zoo,
promenades along long sandy beaches and, a little place I like to call
Mexico.

There are good people who live there like my brother-in-law and my
brother lives just to the north. But then he is ex-marine (if there is
such a thing) and an ex-cop, so it kind of figures. He grows bananas in
his garden. No, not goes but, grows bananas.

Bob should take-up surfing and relax.

To the North East is Idyllwild, a community high in a pine forest,
overlooking Palms Springs and some serious desert.

As you move north in California, there is more and more of live and let
be attitude, until you get to us tree huggers.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 22:03:16 -0500, jangchub
wrote:

On 30 May 2007 08:18:02 -0700, wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

If you are very wealthy and money is no object there is a beautiful
little town called Soquel. It's about an hour north of San Jose
airport and in the rain forest with huge redwoods, and on the ocean.
Just beautiful. Nice and cool in winter and not horrible in summer.

If you aren't very wealthy I'd say the Austin, TX area is far more
money wise and weather in winter is an average of 65 degrees during
the day with maybe one week of "sort of" freezing, and about one very
short lived ice storm a year.

I was in Austin once...being a college town, it is somewhat more, uh,
less, uh, YOU know...than the rest of Texas.

But all things considered, would one really want to leave in Texas?

Persephone

(prepares to be shot down...)

I don't know about Texas, per se, but the oldest business in Austin is
Scholtz's Beir Garten:-) (if you put an umlaut over a "u" [u] it sounds
a lot like an English "o"). The it is an university town and then there
is the music. Austin, to me, sounds like an oasis,

Old 01-06-2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california

"T r a v i s" wrote:

"jangchub" wrote in message
[...]

Let me just have one final kick. In Soquel, you would be competeting
with people who work in $ilicon Valley for the homes. Perfect for
retirement.