Old 17-06-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What kind of tree? ? ?

Recently I pulled up (legally) a seedling tree in the back yard of William
Faulkner's home in Oxford Mississippi.

I coaxed it to grow in a pot and now have some questions. Please look at the
photo at the following site, and give me guidance.

Thanks to all for any help

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree.htm

Old 17-06-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ray wrote:
Recently I pulled up (legally) a seedling tree in the back yard of William
Faulkner's home in Oxford Mississippi.

I coaxed it to grow in a pot and now have some questions. Please look at the
photo at the following site, and give me guidance.

Thanks to all for any help

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree.htm

Dunno. When I saw the picture the first thing I thought was "Virginia
creeper" (I have a lot of it) but that certainly isn't a type of tree.
The leaves' edges don't took right for buckeye or horse chestnut, at
least not any sort I'm familiar with, although the arrangement of
leaflets in a pinwheel looks right.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 17-06-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

Ray wrote:
Recently I pulled up (legally) a seedling tree in the back yard of William
Faulkner's home in Oxford Mississippi.

I coaxed it to grow in a pot and now have some questions. Please look at
the
photo at the following site, and give me guidance.

Thanks to all for any help

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree.htm

Dunno. When I saw the picture the first thing I thought was "Virginia
creeper" (I have a lot of it) but that certainly isn't a type of tree.
The leaves' edges don't took right for buckeye or horse chestnut, at
least not any sort I'm familiar with, although the arrangement of
leaflets in a pinwheel looks right.

Virginia creeper was my immediate impression as well. I have it planted
around a deck in my backyard (was there when I moved in and I still
curse the previous owner occasionally) and little seedlings and suckers
appear here and there all over my yard which look identical to the photo.

It is impossible to get rid of and sometimes difficult to control once
established. Ray, if you plant this in your yard, expect it to spread
fairly rapidly and end up being a bit of a headache.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1695/index.html

Dang, look at all the negatives!
Old 17-06-2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 17, 12:01 pm, "Ray" wrote:
Recently I pulled up (legally) a seedling tree in the back yard of William
Faulkner's home in Oxford Mississippi.

I coaxed it to grow in a pot and now have some questions. Please look at the
photo at the following site, and give me guidance.

Thanks to all for any help

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree.htm

I vote for Virginia creeper too. Pesky vine - not a tree. You're
welcome to pull mine too
Frank

Old 17-06-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks Amos --

I don't believe this would be the Virginia creeper. First, I took it off the
side of a stump, about 3' in diameter, which had been cut down. Second, I
don't think the keepers of the Faulkner home would have allowed such a
troublesome plant to exist on the property.

Is it possible that it's an elm?

-- Ray

Old 17-06-2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

John McGaw wrote:

Ray wrote:
[...]

Dang, look at all the negatives!- Hide quoted text -

Looks like American Beech leaves to me.

Old 17-06-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article w2gdi.3329$015.966@trndny05,
"Ray" wrote:

Thanks Amos --

I don't believe this would be the Virginia creeper. First, I took it off the
side of a stump, about 3' in diameter, which had been cut down. Second, I
don't think the keepers of the Faulkner home would have allowed such a
troublesome plant to exist on the property.

Is it possible that it's an elm?

Virginia creeper pops up wherever it feels like it and is hard not to
find wherever it can grow wild. I would be very surprised not to find
it growing all over Rowan Oak, despite any efforts to eliminate it.

I guess it could be an elm or a chestnut or something else, but you will
probably have to wait and see to be convinced of what you have. If in a
few weeks it begins to stretch into a vine, you've got the creeper.

Here's a few photos I took today for you to compare

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9018183@N02/
Old 17-06-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the photos. The close-up of the leaves seem to look slightly
different from mine.

I will watch it closely, and if it shows vine-like tendencies, then it will
never leave the pot.

Old 18-06-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Virginia creeper was my immediate impression as well. I have it planted
around a deck in my backyard (was there when I moved in and I still
curse the previous owner occasionally) and little seedlings and suckers
appear here and there all over my yard which look identical to the photo.

Hmm. At first I was fairly negative about Virginia creeper (perhaps
because here in the Washington, DC area it is extensively planted, one
might say overplanted, for things like covering up freeway noise
walls). "Sure it is native, but there are better native plants" kind
of thinking.

It is starting to grow on me. I'm getting fond of the red leaves in
fall. We will see if I regret this new-found tolerance if and when
the plants in my yard start getting a bit bigger. But for now I'm
just glad if they are choking out some of the plants we've already
considered undesirable (poison ivy, wisteria, bindweed, honeysuckle
and some others).

Old 18-06-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

here are some areas which you may require additional knowledge.

Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 18-06-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jim Kingdon wrote:

[...]

That's funny because really the only time I'm ****ed about the creeper
is when I'm stripping it away from my honeysuckles with which they
compete for trellis space. I do love the fall colors, and especially
the berries with their dayglo pink stems. It is a fine and handsome
plant where it is welcome.
Old 18-06-2007, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 17, 9:01 am, "Ray" wrote:
Recently I pulled up (legally) a seedling tree in the back yard of William
Faulkner's home in Oxford Mississippi.

I coaxed it to grow in a pot and now have some questions. Please look at the
photo at the following site, and give me guidance.

Thanks to all for any help

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree.htm

Ray
The leaf in your photo has a compound, palmate leaf form. Those are
leaflets
( It is not a beech or chestnut; neither of those has compound
leaves.)
Buckeye does have compound, palmate leaves. Buckeye leaves grow
opposite on the stem. When your plant gets another leaf, if it is
opposite
this one, it is probably a buckeye.
But if the leaves alternate up the stem, it is Virginia Creeper.
You said you "took it off the side of a stump" That is how VA Creeper
grows,
holding tightly onto the trunk of a tree. If your plant develops
tendrils with little
sucker like pads, it's definitely a Creeper.
Enjoy it in a pot!
Emilie
NorCal

Old 18-06-2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

I vote for Virginia Creeper. Upon close examination of your photo, it looks
to have segments like a vine does. I have one that grows up my very large
oak tree in my backyard in NE AL. It's never been a problem and never has
gotten very far up the tree but does return every year.

Gloria