Old 23-07-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Deer prevention

Phisherman expounded:

I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years. The deer
keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare soil that
creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood meal,
milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider Lily" repels
deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting around the ivy
protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the netting gets
clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine trees where
the deer can not reach it.

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 23-07-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and
report
on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used
ANY
gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but
fence or a gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who
lives
right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of
cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about
it
ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my
tomato
plants and daylillies are salads.....

I have a really good feelin' about this.
--
Billy

I don't.

However, I may pay a visit to the town supervisor and discuss another
idea.
Every so often, in another part of town where there's a huge wooded park,
they do a "controlled hunt", using "expert hunters" (fellas who wear long
sleeve plaid flannel shirts with mismatched suspenders in summer) to thin
the deer herd because nearby residents complain that their plants, trees
and
cars are being eaten. I live 6 blocks from an identical park area. Why
not
thin the herd here? We get our plants back (for a while), as well as a
plaid
parade.

I don't know. Red plaid makes a pretty good target. Juast ask Veep
Cheney.
--
Billy

Hey...we love the plaids. They put on a great show. Last time my son and I
went to the gun club (youth .22 rifle league), some kid made the mistake of
asking a question about his rifle, and he was set upon by about a dozen
plaids. All had multiple spare tires, mismatched suspenders, and flannel
shirts. And, this is a city, not out in the sticks. It's like a uniform for
these guys.

Plaid is really bad for spare tires. But besides makin' a good target
(just ask the "redcoats") it is a good ecological indicator of beer and
polka and pizza. Now there's cultural fusion fer ya. Bring on the
sousaphone. Ya hoo.

Actually it will help me with my new diet. Just found out that a 9"
Pepperoni Pizza has 810 calories in it but a chicken Caesar salad at
Chilišs is 1010 calories. Pizza the healthy choice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/he...tml?bl&ex=1184
817600&en=fb2e6ee99c52ca91&ei=5087%0A
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 23-07-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report
on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY
gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a
fence or a gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who lives
right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of
cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about it
ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my tomato
plants and daylillies are salads.....

Doggone deer don't mind stepping all over what they don't
try eating, nor finishing what they started munching on

We resorted to putting up a fence last year. I added poultry
fence along the bottom this year to deal with the rabbits.

Now if we could just get some rain once in awhile. It seems
it is always something...

Old 23-07-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

I will get the MSDS on a product called deer fence. It does work very well.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a beautiful yard with lots of flowering plants. At least they
start out that way until the deer come each night. Any suggestions
for deer prevention that will not harm the plants or deer?

Old 23-07-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Its actually called liquid fence. I am not a product pusher. However I
have a friend that uses it on his property with great success. The day
lilies, rhodies and so on have been off limits for the deer once this is
applied.

I would get a MSDS just to be on the safe side.
I live in PA and deer are our state mammal. They have been pushed to no
ends. As long as the liquid fence is safe, it is a common sense solution.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
I will get the MSDS on a product called deer fence. It does work very
well.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:12:07 -0400, Ann wrote:

Phisherman expounded:

I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years. The deer
keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare soil that
creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood meal,
milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider Lily" repels
deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting around the ivy
protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the netting gets
clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine trees where
the deer can not reach it.

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.

Not according to our local cooperative extension. I already asked.
Old 24-07-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:12:07 -0400, Ann wrote:

Phisherman expounded:

I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years. The deer
keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare soil that
creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood meal,
milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider Lily" repels
deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting around the ivy
protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the netting gets
clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine trees where
the deer can not reach it.

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.

Not according to our local cooperative extension. I already asked.

Extremely odd. Every arborist or tree cutter I've ever talked to has
said don't let the ivy climb the trees because it will weaken or kill
them. I have three lots full of trees. Regularly have them trimmed to
let in more light.
Old 24-07-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.

Ann

Do you have the data that the ivy will kill a pine tree. I really know of
no data to establish that as a fact.
Sure it can block leaves and needles for photosynthesis. Other than that
what are you talking about?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.

Not according to our local cooperative extension. I already asked.

Extremely odd. Every arborist or tree cutter I've ever talked to has
said don't let the ivy climb the trees because it will weaken or kill
them. I have three lots full of trees. Regularly have them trimmed to
let in more light.

I'm with Ann and Billy on this one. My grandfather was a county ext.
agent, and he always said that ivy can/will overtake & kill trees. Have
heard that all my life from others as well.....seen the effects locally
also.

Old 24-07-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead
sooner or later from the ivy.

Ann

Do you have the data that the ivy will kill a pine tree. I really know of
no data to establish that as a fact.
Sure it can block leaves and needles for photosynthesis. Other than that
what are you talking about?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Mah grandpappy done said so, and that's alls I needs to know.

:-)

Old 24-07-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have dissected a scots pine that had ivy all over the ground . The tree
was the healthiest scots pine I have seen.
So some trees may be companion plants and some not. Again, other than
blocking sunlight from needles and leaves I know of no published research
showing that ivy kills trees. I personally do not like ivy growing on
trees. The reason is because it covers up defects and signs of a high risk
of hazard situation such as cracks and so on.

Does anyone have data (peer reviewed published papers) showing that ivy
kills trees. I would like to read it and place it in my dictionary for all
to read under hard to get docs.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
I will get the MSDS on a product called deer fence. It does work very well.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

http://www.liquidfence.com/pdf/Deer_Rabbit_MSDS.pdf
Garlic, eggs, soap, surfactant and thickening agent sounds harmless.
From my experience you probably have to apply frequently to the plants
the deer like.
I just got my PA hunting license and if any of your clients want the
final solution and deer chili, let me know
Frank
Old 24-07-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Other than deer here are some things humans do to harm plants. Do you hunt
them too?

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
symplastless wrote:
I will get the MSDS on a product called deer fence. It does work very
well.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

http://www.liquidfence.com/pdf/Deer_Rabbit_MSDS.pdf
Garlic, eggs, soap, surfactant and thickening agent sounds harmless.
From my experience you probably have to apply frequently to the plants the

Old 24-07-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

No not very frequent.

--

symplastless wrote:
I will get the MSDS on a product called deer fence. It does work very
well.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

http://www.liquidfence.com/pdf/Deer_Rabbit_MSDS.pdf
Garlic, eggs, soap, surfactant and thickening agent sounds harmless.
From my experience you probably have to apply frequently to the plants the
deer like.
I just got my PA hunting license and if any of your clients want the final
solution and deer chili, let me know
Frank

[IMG] code is On

Sloped lawn topsoil erosion prevention Lester Gardening 3 29-09-2004 01:19 AM
Preemptive Critter and Crud Prevention Matthew Donadio Orchids 12 19-05-2004 05:07 PM
Leek Moth Prevention Robert United Kingdom 0 16-05-2004 06:09 PM
Algae Prevention Broomhilda Ponds 19 15-02-2004 06:27 PM
Mosquito Prevention. JNJ Gardening 12 08-06-2003 11:20 AM