Old 22-07-2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer prevention

I have a beautiful yard with lots of flowering plants. At least they
start out that way until the deer come each night. Any suggestions
for deer prevention that will not harm the plants or deer?

Old 22-07-2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Just a suggestion. I have no data on the product and I am not found of
being a product pusher.
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/tools.html#Plant_Pro-tec

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

at bottom of page:
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/tools.html#Plant_Pro-tec

ups.com...

Old 22-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Their main web page is
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Just a suggestion. I have no data on the product and I am not found of
being a product pusher.
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/tools.html#Plant_Pro-tec

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

at bottom of page:
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/tools.html#Plant_Pro-tec

ups.com...

Old 23-07-2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a beautiful yard with lots of flowering plants. At least they
start out that way until the deer come each night. Any suggestions
for deer prevention that will not harm the plants or deer?

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report on
its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY gentle
measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a fence or a
gun.

Old 23-07-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report on
its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY gentle
measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a fence or a
gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

Old 23-07-2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report
on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY
gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a
fence or a gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who lives
right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of
cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about it
ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my tomato
plants and daylillies are salads.....

Old 23-07-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report
on
its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY
gentle
measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a fence or a
gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

Deer sausage with jalapeno jelly on toast is great.........yum!
Maybe we could franchise it. You know. Arrange with gardeners to take
that big ol' carcass of their hands. Their happy, they save their
gardens. We're happy, we don't have to go to work. It's a plan.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 23-07-2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report
on
its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY
gentle
measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a fence or a
gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

Deer sausage with jalapeno jelly on toast is great.........yum!
Maybe we could franchise it. You know. Arrange with gardeners to take
that big ol' carcass of their hands. Their happy, they save their
gardens. We're happy, we don't have to go to work. It's a plan.

ok partner. have your people draw up the paperwork. Then they can get
with my people... and tell your people to get a move on. These other
folks might try to bet us to it!! lol

rae
ps: i won't take less than a 50/50 profit split. you can find someone
else to eat the operating costs.

lol
Old 23-07-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report
on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY
gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a
fence or a gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who lives
right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of
cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about it
ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my tomato
plants and daylillies are salads.....

I have a really good feelin' about this.
Old 23-07-2007, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and
report
on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to
ANY
gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a
fence or a gun.

deer sausage.........yum!

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who
lives
right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of
cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about it
ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my
tomato
plants and daylillies are salads.....

I have a really good feelin' about this.
--
Billy

I don't.

However, I may pay a visit to the town supervisor and discuss another idea.
Every so often, in another part of town where there's a huge wooded park,
they do a "controlled hunt", using "expert hunters" (fellas who wear long
sleeve plaid flannel shirts with mismatched suspenders in summer) to thin
the deer herd because nearby residents complain that their plants, trees and
cars are being eaten. I live 6 blocks from an identical park area. Why not
thin the herd here? We get our plants back (for a while), as well as a plaid
parade.

Old 23-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 23, 7:31 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Billy Rose" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Seriously, get a bow. It's quiet, short range, and the perfect
solution.

Only do it during deer season, with the proper license (i.e. in the
winter), and follow all the regulations.

The health benefits from the meat are great, it's much better than un-
naturally raised meat.

Short of that, get a dog and an electric fence, if you have the
temperament to go for walks and take care of a dog.

Old 23-07-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 23, 7:31 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Billy Rose" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Actually, it's legal in NY to kill *any* animal that's destroying crops or
harassing your animals. A permit is required only if the animal in question
is governed by hunting season rules. So, if it's a deer, you'd need a permit
out of season. If a dog's digging in your garden or harassing your goats, no
permit is needed.

The only question is whether it's legal and safe to use a firearm in certain
places.

Old 23-07-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

I don't know. Red plaid makes a pretty good target. Juast ask Veep
Cheney.
Old 23-07-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Hey...we love the plaids. They put on a great show. Last time my son and I
went to the gun club (youth .22 rifle league), some kid made the mistake of
asking a question about his rifle, and he was set upon by about a dozen
plaids. All had multiple spare tires, mismatched suspenders, and flannel
shirts. And, this is a city, not out in the sticks. It's like a uniform for
these guys.

Old 23-07-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years. The deer
keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare soil that
creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood meal,
milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider Lily" repels
deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting around the ivy
protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the netting gets
clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine trees where
the deer can not reach it.

[IMG] code is On

Sloped lawn topsoil erosion prevention Lester Gardening 3 29-09-2004 01:19 AM
Preemptive Critter and Crud Prevention Matthew Donadio Orchids 12 19-05-2004 05:07 PM
Leek Moth Prevention Robert United Kingdom 0 16-05-2004 06:09 PM
Algae Prevention Broomhilda Ponds 19 15-02-2004 06:27 PM
Mosquito Prevention. JNJ Gardening 12 08-06-2003 11:20 AM