Old 24-07-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer prevention

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Other than deer here are some things humans do to harm plants. Do you
hunt them too?
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist

That was really a silly response, John. And, you don't actually have a
problem with hunters, unless you are a vegetarian.

Are you a vegetarian?

Old 24-07-2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy Rose expounded:

Extremely odd. Every arborist or tree cutter I've ever talked to has
said don't let the ivy climb the trees because it will weaken or kill
them. I have three lots full of trees. Regularly have them trimmed to
let in more light.

Not only does it weaken and kill them, but the ivy morphs into the
adult that bears flowers and fruit, which the birds carry off and
spread. It's an invasive plant throughout its range, any extension
service that says otherwise is doing a disservice to its area.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 24-07-2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

That was really a silly response, John. And, you don't actually have a
problem with hunters, unless you are a vegetarian.

Are you a vegetarian?

I used to be until a friend of mine put a Philly cheese steak in my face. I
have followed bear and deer and saw fun things. It does bother me, i.e.,
the way the deer have been pushed from once fertile forest, to farm lands,
to housing developments. Life is a journey, powered by the sun. On this
journey I have become connected to bear and deer. I have no problem with
deer. Another good friend of mine was in front of me heading south on 202
when a small heard of deer where jumping into cars. There is a medium of
about 30' of mowed turf. All of the deer except a young one got across the
North bound lanes. Speed limit 55MPH. Me and my friend stopped. I went
into the medium and the young deer came over and placed his or her head on
my leg. My friend and I had trouble stopping North bound traffic for the
young one to cross. Finally one driver did stop and others followed and the
deer crossed and went off. The sad thing is the deer was coming from and
heading into, another development where most likely was thought of as a
nuisance as many of you claim. That's where I am at. The deer are not my
enemy. Yes I eat meat. I would rather be vegetarian to be honest. Oh
well. PEACE!

You are not my enemy are you?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"symplastless" expounded:

Do you have the data that the ivy will kill a pine tree. I really know of
no data to establish that as a fact.
Sure it can block leaves and needles for photosynthesis. Other than that
what are you talking about?

No, I don't have peer reviewed anything, I've seen it and it's general
knowledge, at least around here. The plant smothers the host (thus
blocking photosynthesis), and the weight pulls the host down. In
addition, the ivy reaches maturity and then flowers, spreading seeds
via birds eating the berries. Not a plant I want growing on my trees.
Old 24-07-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sometime I will share my story about a bear.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once I was looking for Cucumber magnolia trees for optimum fertility level
in old growth forest. I was at red oak camp ground and called the US Forest
Service and they could not tell me where to find such trees. I followed a
bear at the camp grounds and the bear took me to a young cucumber magnolia.
Then he or she went to a dumpster that said Valentine. I have a picture of
that. My birth day is valentines day. Oh, wee, just my crazy way of
thinking. I do think. I would not get to close to a bear though. They are
not my enemy.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Where can I find this data?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Of course I'm not your enemy. I am one with cows, fish and poultry, and yet,
I eat them. Hunters I know don't kill deer because they have a problem with
them. They do it for the food. OK...one guy does it to get away from his
disgusting wife. But the rest do it for food.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

I try to make decisions based on data. I don't like ivy in trees because it
covers signs of high risks of hazard such as cracks. I don't like ivy on
trees. But I have not read data that stated ivy kills trees.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
I try to make decisions based on data. I don't like ivy in trees because
it covers signs of high risks of hazard such as cracks. I don't like ivy
on trees. But I have not read data that stated ivy kills trees.

What if the data came from homeowners who observed ivy killing trees? Would
that be valid, or would it depend on who collected the data?

Old 24-07-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

I do not make decisions on what people get published in journals such as
phytopathology or whatever. You would have to contact the journal and ask
the journal what it will publish. Ask the US Forest Service what they will
publish.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
I try to make decisions based on data. I don't like ivy in trees because

it
covers signs of high risks of hazard such as cracks. I don't like ivy on
trees. But I have not read data that stated ivy kills trees.

How about the National Park Service?
http://www.nps.gov/
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/hehe1.htm
ECOLOGICAL THREAT
"As the ivy climbs in search of increased light, it engulfs and kills
branches by blocking light from reaching the host tree’s leaves. Branch
dieback proceeds from the lower to upper branches, often leaving the tree
with just a small green “broccoli head.” ***The host tree eventually
succumbs entirely from this insidious and steady weakening. ***
In addition, the added weight of the vines makes infested trees much
more susceptible to blow-over during high rain and wind events and heavy
snowfalls. Trees heavily draped with ivy can be hazardous if near roads,
walkways, homes and other peopled areas. On the ground, English ivy forms
dense and extensive monocultures that exclude native plants. English ivy
also serves as a reservoir for Bacterial Leaf Scorch (Xylella fastidiosa),
***a plant pathogen that is harmful to elms, oaks, maples and other native
plants.****

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist

Loved your bear story, John. But, I gotta tell you, every arborist I've
known is just a little bit looney. I don't know if it's the chainsaw fumes,
or you just gotta be crazy to climb trees. (I climb in arenas to rig sound
and lights for entertainment events, and we may be a little bit weird
too...) No offense meant....

Old 24-07-2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Cheryl Cato
wrote:

scarecrow

the way to go.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 24-07-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote:
I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years.
The deer
keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare
soil that
creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood
meal,
milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider
Lily" repels
deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting
around the ivy
protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the
netting gets
clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine
trees where
the deer can not reach it.

The deer had a garden feast night before last. Ate the last
bedraggled cuke, the squash right to the ground, bits off
the pumpkins, carrot tops, peppers, and most of the
tomatoes. I haven't been over to see the damage yet so I
don't know how the corn, okra, and eggplant fared. They
don't seem to care for the Brandywines as much as the
cherries and Beefsteaks tho. They totally ignore the
English Ivy that we'd love to get rid of. I think it was
revenge for the chunk of firewood my buddy chucked at a deer
on Saturday.

Seahag

[IMG] code is On

Sloped lawn topsoil erosion prevention Lester Gardening 3 29-09-2004 01:19 AM
Preemptive Critter and Crud Prevention Matthew Donadio Orchids 12 19-05-2004 05:07 PM
Leek Moth Prevention Robert United Kingdom 0 16-05-2004 06:09 PM
Algae Prevention Broomhilda Ponds 19 15-02-2004 06:27 PM
Mosquito Prevention. JNJ Gardening 12 08-06-2003 11:20 AM