Old 13-09-2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn Pest Problem

I think when I purchased my home over two decades ago, I made a large
mistake. I had decided to condition the soil by adding worms. But,
the kind of worms I purchased, were very large Earth Worms. As I sit
here today, those worms, have mulitplied beyond belief. They build
little "dome" like earth mounds throughout my lawn area, and make
walking across the lawn, feel like navigating across a waffle iron.

To add insult to injury, the worms, seem to have attracted a small
polulation of Moles. So, I have treated the lawn 3 times in the last
6 weeks with Ortho Lawn and Pest, trying to get rid of the Earth
Worms, and thus eliminate the food source for the Moles.

Somehow, I think I have this wrong. . .Because the Lawn and Pest
treatment, only seems to be a slight remedy to the problem of getting
rid of the problem. . .I still have tons of worms.

Any ideas?

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 13-09-2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 12, 8:32 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 03:16:20 -0000, Myrl Jeffcoat

wrote:
[...]

Yeah.....stop trying to remedy your "mistake" with poison. Worms just
happen to be good for the soil, which by the way is being depleted at
an alarming rate. Have you ever considered how much food a stinking
manicured lawn could produce?

Poisoned worms kill birds. Poison kills babies and harms all sorts of
living creatures, including you.

How's the real estate business going, heh heh? Maybe you could shift
over to a bait shop business.

Worms and moles are a hell of a lot more important than lawns.

Charlie, Friend of EarthWorms, Moles and Other Living Creatures

FB......FFF.....- Hide quoted text -

Interestingly, I had an uncle back in Kansas, who had a vacant lot
next to his home, which once had housed a bait shop. The bait shop
was long gone, but apparently the earth worms remained. And yes, he
had a sign nailed to the tree, that he sold worms;-)

The real estate business has slowed significantly, which for me, has
been ok, since I welcome the slowdown, and available time to spend out
in the garden. But, I worry about a lot of folks who are hurting out
there, because of some of the mortgage predicaments they are in.

I tend to agree with you about the poisoning of critters. It's not
generally my thing. . .But if you could see what these varmints are
doing to my lawn, you wouldn't believe it. It looks like a mine field
- after the mines blew up!

I was hoping to "part out" these Earth Worms, and replace with Red
Worms instead!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 13-09-2007, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Wow. I'm curious. That Ortho product came with not only a label, but
probably one which folded out to reveal at least one more "page", maybe two.
In those instructions, which by law are very specific, did it mention using
the product to kill worms?

Old 13-09-2007, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 12, 8:49 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
[...]

the product to kill worms?- Hide quoted text -

The Ortho product, mentioned fleas, ants, earwigs, and grubs. . .It
did not mention worms. I guess I was hoping that the worms would be
close enough cousins to the grubs, and take the bait;-)

However, I notice if I go out on the lawn with the hose on high power
stream, I can knock down the little dome things the worms are making,
and sometimes in the process, a few worms will surface, and I will
collect them up, and dispose of them. There is one section of the
lawn, that seems slightly improved because of this process. I also
suspect that the treatment is affecting some of the worms, but
definitely not all of them.

I haven't really seen a product that is "worm" specific.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 13-09-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Good. Please don't do that again, unless you receive a letter signed by
several thousand complete strangers, who say they're OK with drinking the
stuff you treat your lawn with. You have no idea whose water supply the
stuff ends up in eventually. But it does end up somewhere.

Old 13-09-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 03:41:38 -0000, Myrl Jeffcoat
wrote:

Interestingly, I had an uncle back in Kansas, who had a vacant lot
next to his home, which once had housed a bait shop. The bait shop
was long gone, but apparently the earth worms remained. And yes, he
had a sign nailed to the tree, that he sold worms;-)

You're a long way from home,Dorothy.......too bad. ;-) Midwest is good
livin'.

The real estate business has slowed significantly, which for me, has
been ok, since I welcome the slowdown, and available time to spend out
in the garden. But, I worry about a lot of folks who are hurting out
there, because of some of the mortgage predicaments they are in.

It's only to be worse, much worse, as I am sure you realize. Hurting
is not an adequate descriptor for what many are, and will experience as
a result of the predatory lending practices that *were* rampant.
People are hurting, hurting badly, as a result of greed. And belief in
the "American Dream".

I tend to agree with you about the poisoning of critters. It's not
generally my thing. . .But if you could see what these varmints are
doing to my lawn, you wouldn't believe it. It looks like a mine field
- after the mines blew up!

Honestly, I couldn't care less what your, or anyone's, lawns look like.
Manicured lawns are outdated; a relic from times long gone and
reminiscent of fuedal times, and an environmental disaster.

Long live the worms.

Charlie

The lawn nonsense is here courtesy of the British. Too bad our ancestors
didn't kick the lawn habit at the same time they kicked out the Redcoats.

Old 13-09-2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Go to the library and get Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to
the Soil Food Web by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. In the first
edition, ignore pages 40 and 41, where there are some typos, and learn
what you are dealing with. Reducing your ignorance will be a great
advantage for you.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 13-09-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

didn't kick the lawn habit at the same time they kicked out the Redcoats.- Hide quoted text -

You know something Joe - I had those very same thoughts a few days
ago! I thought, this lawn thing is a real pain. If I didn't have a
lawn, I wouldn't need a lawn guy, and I could do something else with
the area!. . .I don't know what - but something! However, I'm not
quite ready for that artificial turf stuff.

Old 13-09-2007, 06:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

[...]

something I wrote and posted over in alt.home.lawn.garden last week
and not well received. just wondering how many will I **** off over here?

begin repost:
Those who think fall applications are unnecessary are not thinking
beyond their own yard. A very common mistake in this forum.

KC

something you said here caught my eye,
"not thinking beyond their own yard"
it's a sad sad truth concerning the self centered need
for satisfying ones own desires.

today in america peoples desire for the lush thick mono
turf type green lawn has produced an environmental hazard
just beginning to unfold and tell it's story. current trends
have the 100' by 100' lawn receiving more herbicides, insecticides
and chemical fertilizers than the typical farmer applies to an
acre of land. further contributing to the unfolding disaster
in the making is how neighborhood lawns are totally unregulated
with regard towards runoff which sends these chemicals directly
into the water supply.

"not thinking beyond their own yard"

here in central NC we are experiencing one heck of an on
going drought. water restrictions have been in place now
for several months and just recently tighter restrictions
went into place allowing for lawns to be watered only one
day a week.

an article appearing in today's N&O presented an excellent
exemplification of peoples selfish stupidity when it comes
to "not thinking beyond their own yard".
http://www.newsobserver.com/weather/...ry/695176.html

ok, stepping down from my portable soapbox for a moment lets
give consideration to the aspects of having a nice lawn while
thinking beyond our own yard. first consideration should be
for shared resources such as water. when a drought such as
the one we are experiencing here in NC severely limits the
amount of water available to the local population, priorities
of importance need to be established. a simple question should
be put forth and that is, how long can you the human continue
without water to sustain your body? which is really more
important, water to drink or water to irrigate a lawn?

I full well realize I'm only a simple country boy, semiliterate,
uneducated and therefore hardly qualified to render an answer to
the above stated question concerning the important uses of water when
it's availability is severely limited. but do consider this, after
you've died from dehydration will you be able to visually appreciate
the lust green well irrigated lawn? duh!

the vast majority of lawn owners are totally unaware of the organic
alternatives available today. they instead waddle into the local big
box store and being the quadruple chin porker beast they are see grub
control product and make the purchase without ever reading the label
or seeing the words Merit or Dylox. even worse is how they'll apply
the product without reading the application instructions contained on
the product labeling. how many times in this very forum have we seen
the question, "how much should I apply" followed by Eggs saying "did
you read the label?" and to further exemplify the disaster in the
making we're expecting a population of quadruple chin porker beast
creatures who can't even feed themselves a correct portion to figure
out how to apply 2.5 pounds of product evenly over 100 square feet
of lawn! get real, it just ain't going to happen...

http://www.milkyspore.com/
Old 13-09-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 12, 10:15 pm, Jim wrote:

[...]

As you can see by the hour of this posting, this whole problem has
kept me from sleeping tonight. I think I'll take Billy's idea, and
visit the library tomorrow. "Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's
Guide to the Soil Food Web" by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. In the
first edition, ignore pages 40 and 41.

It sounds like a plan to me!

Myrl

Old 13-09-2007, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:05:31 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

That is what I said, Joe. ;-)

Charlie

Wait...let me hold your message up to a mirror.

Oh yeah...you're right. :-)

Old 13-09-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
I think when I purchased my home over two decades ago, I made a large
mistake. I had decided to condition the soil by adding worms. But,
the kind of worms I purchased, were very large Earth Worms. As I sit
here today, those worms, have mulitplied beyond belief. They build
little "dome" like earth mounds throughout my lawn area, and make
walking across the lawn, feel like navigating across a waffle iron.

To add insult to injury, the worms, seem to have attracted a small
polulation of Moles. So, I have treated the lawn 3 times in the last
6 weeks with Ortho Lawn and Pest, trying to get rid of the Earth
Worms, and thus eliminate the food source for the Moles.

Somehow, I think I have this wrong. . .Because the Lawn and Pest
treatment, only seems to be a slight remedy to the problem of getting
rid of the problem. . .I still have tons of worms.

This is too funny.

Any ideas?

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/squirm/

Old 13-09-2007, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Side trip:
Here's a news story about how chemicals move underground and affect other
people. Although this might be considered an extreme example because of the
concentrations involved, it's really not. The EPA now considers homeowners
and golf courses to be the worst offenders, in terms of contaminating
groundwater with all sorts of chemicals. It used to be industry.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...0377/1002/NEWS

Old 13-09-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 5:43 am, Sheldon wrote:

This is too funny.

Any ideas?

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/squirm/-

Here's an interesting link from your link:

http://www.wackyworldsof.com/harvester/

Old 13-09-2007, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 5:59 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Side trip:
Here's a news story about how chemicals move underground and affect other
people. Although this might be considered an extreme example because of the
concentrations involved, it's really not. The EPA now considers homeowners
and golf courses to be the worst offenders, in terms of contaminating
groundwater with all sorts of chemicals. It used to be industry.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ID=/200707...-

That's quite frightening. I had been taking comfort in the idea, that
the chemicals I was using on the lawn, would dissipate, after several
days.

I think I recall reading once that Roundup only lasted in the
environment 10 days or so.

I think I need to move to a desert, and just grow a few
cactus;-). . .I've been a menace to mankind!

[IMG] code is On

help wanted identifying zucchini pest problem Dawn Edible Gardening 2 20-06-2004 04:03 PM
PEst problem Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 2 05-12-2003 01:33 PM
pest problem Maryann Albano Orchids 1 05-08-2003 05:02 AM
Newbie cucumbers pest problem? Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM
Newbie cucumbers pest problem? Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 0 18-07-2003 09:10 AM