Old 26-01-2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Strong urine odor

How do I get rid of a strong urine smell that occurs every morning in
the garden in front of my house? (I don't know what creature --cat,
dog, rat, possum or ??? -- is leaving the urine).

P.S.: I've used "Critter Ridder" Animal Repellent but it hasn't
helped; the smell continues.
Old 26-01-2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message

from gary contains these words:

How do I get rid of a strong urine smell that occurs every morning in
the garden in front of my house? (I don't know what creature --cat,
dog, rat, possum or ??? -- is leaving the urine).

They are marking territory on an established travel route. Animals
are creatures of habit and often follow the same route every night if
nothing interrupts them, marking at the same spots. So, you need to
persuade that animal to take a different route.

You can reduce or prevent territory-marking behaviour by playing the
role of a dominant animal, marking the territory yourself with your own
urine each evening (before the animal visits). Of course you may still
smell pee there but you only need do it for a few days until the animal
establishes a new nocturnal route.

Janet

Just make sure your not facing traffic when you mark your territory, if
you don't want to be obliged to sign-up as a sex offender for the rest
of your life.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Sto...917874,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 26-01-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:39:10 -0800 (PST), gary
wrote:

How do I get rid of a strong urine smell that occurs every morning in
the garden in front of my house? (I don't know what creature --cat,
dog, rat, possum or ??? -- is leaving the urine).

P.S.: I've used "Critter Ridder" Animal Repellent but it hasn't
helped; the smell continues.

Some kinds of Juniper smell like cat ****. Cats mark their territory
but there are numerous methods to make the area undesirable to cats.
Until then, determine what animal you are dealing with. A neighbor
rigged up an inexpensive camera to find out what animal was getting
into their trash can at night--it was a raccoon.
Old 26-01-2008, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Different neighbors continually let their cats run loose at all hours.

Several months ago, a rat looked for water on my front patio. It came
only once.
Several months ago, a possum looked for food on my front patio. It
came only twice.

===========

The suggestion for me to urinate in my garden reminds me of this
dialog in Dean Koontz's "Velocity":

"Henry Friddle was a pig."
"You know what the pervert was doing on his roof? He was trying to
**** on my dining-room windows."
"Friddle, the pig, figured the altitude would give his stream more
distance," Ned explained.
The stranger shrugged. "He climbed on a roof to urinate on your
windows."
The tourist asked Ned Pearsall, "Vengeance? So you urinated on
Friddle's windows first?"
"Ned didn't do it from his roof," Billy said.
"That's right. I walked up to his house, like a man, stood on his
lawn, and aimed at his dining-room windows."
Old 26-01-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gary wrote:

[...]

I'm reminded of Edward Abbey who said a man is not free unless he can
**** in his yard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Abbey

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millvile Weather

Old 27-01-2008, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
-

I'm reminded of Edward Abbey who said a man is not free unless he can
**** in his yard.

Such freedom is essential to the proper growing of citrus trees.

David

Old 27-01-2008, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
-

I'm reminded of Edward Abbey who said a man is not free unless he can
**** in his yard.

Such freedom is essential to the proper growing of citrus trees.

David

Ah, gone from yard to orchard, eh? Do we have delusions of grandeur or
what? For an orchard, I think your gonna' need a lot of proper Ockers
who are properly ****ed. (I hope I didn't spray.)

Old 27-01-2008, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 26, 12:39*pm, gary wrote:
How do I get rid of a strong urine smell that occurs every morning in
the garden in front of my house? *(I don't know what creature --cat,
dog, rat, possum or ??? -- is leaving the urine).

P.S.: I've used "Critter Ridder" Animal Repellent but it hasn't
helped; the smell continues.

Do you have boxwoods in the front of your house? Boxwoods smell like
cat urine to some people.

Jim
Old 27-01-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
-

I'm reminded of Edward Abbey who said a man is not free unless he can
**** in his yard.

Such freedom is essential to the proper growing of citrus trees.

David

Ah, gone from yard to orchard, eh? Do we have delusions of grandeur or
what? For an orchard, I think your gonna' need a lot of proper Ockers
who are properly ****ed. (I hope I didn't spray.)

A recent study showed that human urine was a better fertilizer than
commercial fertilizers. Made me picture a house with thundermugs by the
toilet so that good fertilizer won't be wasted by flushing it away.
Picture spraying **** all over the lawn from one end to the other which
couldn't be much more gross than liquid fish fertilizer but still the
thought of it...

Articles have been popping up all over the web on the proper use of pee in
the garden. I admit to peeing in a big jug a couple times, diluting it,
and watering select plants, or in the compost to increase nitrogen
content, but mainly it's too gross to do more than once in a blue moon. If
not very dilute it encourages cottony mildew, like if your crazy uncle
keeps ****ing full strength right on the the cucumbers because he heard
that was just great to do.

Prescription medications in human urine is thought to be a bigger problem
than odor or disease potential of urine-spraying as an organic gardening
technique. If I had a composting toilet I'd be happy to use finished
sludge in the garden -- that stuff doesn't even smell bad.

But I'm a tiny bit creeped out thinking some of the tiny organic produce
farmers around here may be ****ing in the cabbages and lettuce sold at the
side of the road. Which is what the the University of Kuopia tested urine
on in concluding it was completely safe and better than commercial
fertilizer and less contaminating than commercial fertilizer of natural
waterways.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Old 27-01-2008, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
, McGerm
wrote:

On Jan 26, 12:39=A0pm, gary wrote:
How do I get rid of a strong urine smell that occurs every morning in
the garden in front of my house? =A0(I don't know what creature --cat,
dog, rat, possum or ??? -- is leaving the urine).

P.S.: I've used "Critter Ridder" Animal Repellent but it hasn't
helped; the smell continues.

Do you have boxwoods in the front of your house? Boxwoods smell like
cat urine to some people.

So do some barberries when in bloom/pollinating, but that wouldn't be this
time of year.

-paghat the ratgirl

Old 27-01-2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The message

from gary contains these words:

How do I get rid of a strong urine smell that occurs every morning in
the garden in front of my house? (I don't know what creature --cat,
dog, rat, possum or ??? -- is leaving the urine).

They are marking territory on an established travel route. Animals
are creatures of habit and often follow the same route every night if
nothing interrupts them, marking at the same spots. So, you need to
persuade that animal to take a different route.

You can reduce or prevent territory-marking behaviour by playing the
role of a dominant animal, marking the territory yourself with your own
urine each evening (before the animal visits). Of course you may still
smell pee there but you only need do it for a few days until the animal
establishes a new nocturnal route.

Janet

An unneutered cat will spray over human pee more often than not; it's not
urine they're spraying but a tarry musk that smells so bad because cats
can't smell terribly well and it needs to be pretty rank for them to find
the spot to mark again. They are not much bothered by familiar scents of
people or dogs.

Hunting supply shops sell coyote urine which can be used to mark territory
in a way that makes cats worry a bit about predators. I can't vouch that
it works on cats but some folks swear by it.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 28-01-2008, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"paghat" wrote in message

A recent study showed that human urine was a better fertilizer than
commercial fertilizers. Made me picture a house with thundermugs by the
toilet so that good fertilizer won't be wasted by flushing it away.
Picture spraying **** all over the lawn from one end to the other which
couldn't be much more gross than liquid fish fertilizer but still the
thought of it...

When the pastures are treated with chicken litter 'round here if the wind is
coming from the wrong way you cannot breathe. It's not unpleasant, it
produces retching and gagging in the strongest stomache. But it sure does
make the grass grow.

Isn't it odd how we have evolved this reaction to things that really are not
so harmful. Unless the author has a urinary tract infection urine is sterile.
Yet we have this built-in revulsion.

I can understand the revulsion with using human feces as fertiliser, healthy
individuals still dump a lot of gut flora which has no place in the
environment where it can get into other parts of the body. In parts of the
world where untreated night soil is routinely returned to the fields it is a
perennial source of reinfection. Urine has no such consequences but we act as
if it does.

David

Old 28-01-2008, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
-

[...]

Unless you calculate in the excreted medications. Usually these
chemicals don't have much obvious effect on adults, but they can have
marked effects on children.

-paghat the ratgirl

Old 28-01-2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, urea is used in skin creams for rough hands which have had
their natural oil leached out of them. I've heard that it wasn't that
uncommon for models to **** on their hands to keep them looking young
and smooth.

Old 28-01-2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"kzin" wrote in message

On 27-Jan-2008, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

It's not unpleasant, it produces retching and gagging in the strongest
stomache.

this could be the poster child sentence for avoiding double negatives....

Perhaps consider context before assuming that 'not unX' literally means 'X'.
To me the word 'unpleasant' has other connotations besides just 'not
pleasant'.

But taking your view if I had written "It's pleasant, it produces retching and
gagging in the strongest stomach". Does the apparent contradiction make it
meaningless, do you think it says the opposite of what I intended or are you
just confused?

Style games being rather OT, what are your thoughts on the use of urine as
fertiliser? Does the gag factor rule out this sort of nutrient recycling for
widespread use?

David

[IMG] code is On

Geraniums odor Phisherman[_3_] Gardening 4 08-03-2009 09:48 AM
Skunk odor Ed Schmitt Gardening 6 11-08-2003 06:07 AM
Odor detected today jammer Ponds 3 14-07-2003 12:42 AM
Pond odor follow up Jackytar Ponds 10 02-06-2003 03:08 AM
Pond odor Jackytar Ponds 14 29-05-2003 11:56 PM