Old 24-03-2008, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Do you talk to your plants?

I just recently listened to a Youtube education series about the study
of plant communication. Just wonder if any of you have experienced a
similar thing. Info below:

PLANT COMMUNICATION

An expert in the polygraph and biocommunication, Cleve Backster
related details of his research into electrical responses in plant
life. His studies indicate that plants can sense human intent in a
kind of "primary perception" that he compared to ESP. For instance, in
experiments with bean sprouts --one group of sprouts was praised, the
second group ignored, and the third sent negative thoughts-- the
praised group grew much faster, he reported.

An experimenter can influence the results of a study. The studies
which showed plants preferred classical music might've been the result
of experimenter bias against rock music, he said. Backster's first
plant experiment took place in 1966, and he's now spent over 40 years
on this type of research, which he conducts out of a former DEA lab in
San Diego, in an under-funded fashion.

He also discussed his work with the polygraph, and noted that newer
polygraph equipment incorporates the use of a camera in its readouts.

Cleve Backster is the founder of the Backster Research Foundation and
currently teaches at the Backster School of Lie-Detection. He is also
on the teaching faculty at the California Institute for Human Science
and serves on the advisory board at the Institute of HeartMath.

Cleve is an international speaker on the subject of Biocommunication
and has been a professional observer of human psycho-physiological
tracings since 1948. Since 1966, Cleve has conducted extensive
research related to observed electrical responses in plant life and at
a cellular level in other living organisms. His research into what has
been called "The Backster Effect" has attracted world-wide attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EdNv...x=0&playnext=1
Old 24-03-2008, 03:49 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrad View Post
[...]

no . l donot talk to my plant. l have heard some people say its good to do. some say it help the plants grow.
Old 24-03-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

ebrad wrote:

I just recently listened to a Youtube education series about the study
of plant communication. Just wonder if any of you have experienced a
similar thing. Info below:

PLANT COMMUNICATION

An expert in the polygraph and biocommunication, Cleve Backster
related details of his research into electrical responses in plant
life. His studies indicate that plants can sense human intent in a
kind of "primary perception" that he compared to ESP.

What a load of crap! Anyone that is dumb enough to believe "crazy
Cleve" should count their cards because they likely aren't playing with
a full deck. ;(
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 24-03-2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Bill R
wrote:

ebrad wrote:

I just recently listened to a Youtube education series about the study
of plant communication. Just wonder if any of you have experienced a
similar thing. Info below:

PLANT COMMUNICATION

An expert in the polygraph and biocommunication, Cleve Backster
related details of his research into electrical responses in plant
life. His studies indicate that plants can sense human intent in a
kind of "primary perception" that he compared to ESP.

What a load of crap! Anyone that is dumb enough to believe "crazy
Cleve" should count their cards because they likely aren't playing with
a full deck. ;(

What! You doubt the Backster Effect! Here's my essay "Telepathic Plants':
http://www.paghat.com/telepathic.html

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Old 25-03-2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Of course I talk to my plants!
I also talk the the cats, and the birds,
the toad, and an occasional paper wasp
too.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 25-03-2008, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"ebrad" wrote in message

I just recently listened to a Youtube education series about the study
of plant communication. Just wonder if any of you have experienced a
similar thing. Info below:

Depends on what you mean by "similar".

I talk when I am working. Not a constant jabber but more an incisive remark
from time to time. Like when you are threading a new drive belt over the
pulleys of your ride-on mower, the third time you catch your index finger
under the belt and then it slips off the pulley again you yell at it to "stay
the %6& where I put you!" and generally it does.

Or the bottle-raised bubble-headed chestnut arab that has just nudged me again
(cause he wants to play) and nearly knocked me off my feet, well then I think
really evil thoughts and he backs right off. He is a telpathic horse you see,
his sensitive nature is repelled by the negative vibrations.

It's the same with Jed the red kelpie. He is a dog with the second sight. He
knows in advance when we are going out. As departure time draws nearer he
will get more and more agitated and he will spend more time near the door,
when you open the door he bolts out to the car and waits to be let in. I have
proved this by opening the door at other times, say to go to the shed or turn
off the irrigation and he doesn't get nearly so wound up, but sedately heads
out with me to check that I am doing it right. He can sense the presence of a
naked sausage from the other end of the house too. This must be a very exotic
psychic force as the house frame is steel and it would filter out
electromagnetic radiation.

So I wouldn't be amazed to learn that plants have psychic powers too and that
talking to them will make them happy.

This does bring up issues with diet. Vegetarians claim the moral high ground
over meat eaters. However carnivores rarely eat their diner alive but
herbivores do it all the time! Think of the bad karma that you get every time
you bite into a freshly pulled peach or slice a living cabbage! This is the
origin of saying grace before a meal (before the Christians coopted the ritual
as they did with so many other pagan ceremonies). You are apologising to the
carrots before you snuff out their tiny turn on the wheel of life.

Cleve Backster is apparently a man of extraordinary talent who is not afraid
to allow his conclusions to follow where ever the data leads. He reminds me
of Sigfreid the vet in _All Creatures Great and Small_ who proclaimed cogently
that "there is much good information to be discovered up a cow's arse".

David

Old 25-03-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Think of the bad karma that you get every time
you bite into a freshly pulled peach or slice a living cabbage!

You need to listen to Michael pollan.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/214

The peach wants you to spread its seeds and if you like the cabbage,
it's kind will continue to survive. We are the ones being played.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 25-03-2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:27:20 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

What! You doubt the Backster Effect! Here's my essay "Telepathic Plants':
http://www.paghat.com/telepathic.html

-paghat the ratgirl

Okay, so there's the "Telepathic Plants" thing, but the process to
make compost in the horn of a cow and the ingredients...geesh I forgot
all of that till this reminded me.

That aside, there are some plants which do respond to touch, or noise,
but they are not sentient with consciousness. At least I don't
believe they are. However, I have heard from very adept Lama's that a
sentient being can live in a plant. It's one of the hell realms. I
cannot imagine that existence.

The other evening, locked in the embrace of a margarita, I noticed that
our oaks where holding up their branches, like supplicating arms,
towards the Sun. Then I realized that all the plants do it. Between the
Sun and a gardener, what better life could there be for a plant? I think
they are on to something.

Old 25-03-2008, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"mleblanca" wrote in message
Of course I talk to my plants!
I also talk the the cats, and the birds,
the toad, and an occasional paper wasp
too.
Emilie
NorCal

Do any of them reply?

David

Old 26-03-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 11:17 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in message

Of course I talk to my plants!
I also talk the the cats, and the birds,
the toad, and an occasional paper wasp
too.
Emilie
NorCal

Do any of them reply?

David

The plants have such quiet little voices I can't hear them,
but they let me know when they are happy and like their
spot in the garden. :)
The cats (like your Hound dog) definitely tell me what they
want: a treat, a head rub, and chin scratch.
I'm not smart enough yet to understand bird language, but
they do talk a lot.
The wasp comments are not meant to be replied to and
are generally *CENSORED*

I enjoyed your post BTW
Emilie

Old 28-03-2008, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 25, 8:45*am, Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:27:57 -0700, Billy
wrote:

The other evening, locked in the embrace of a margarita, I noticed that
our oaks where holding up their branches, like supplicating arms,
towards the Sun. Then I realized that all the plants do it. Between the
Sun and a gardener, what better life could there be for a plant? I think
they are on to something.

Yes, and this is the very delusion we fall for...that somehow being a
beloved pet or tree has a great life. *Pets are still animals and
animals life in constant fear, though we don't notice it all the time.
My parrot is always afraid when a large raptor flies over the skylight
and she flys for the hills. *In samsara everything suffers.

I don't think animals fear nearly as much as humans. Fear is a
byproduct of the ego, which I don't think afflict animals, because
they just pee or crap anywhere and don't have any shame for it. Nor do
they have possessions to covet or social status to protect. I think
they may experience some fear, but that could also be their instinct
('spidey senses') telling them to beware of something. Not to get too
Eckhart Tolle on you, but they are probably a lot more in touch with
their intuition and live in complete presence and joy.
Old 28-03-2008, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

God help us, not another Werner Erhard. Hide your wallets.
on you, but they are probably a lot more in touch with
their intuition and live in complete presence and joy.

It must be nice just to blather on with sophomoric conjectures,
unconstrained by facts.

Just wait here, the folks with pitchforks and torches will be around
anytime now to help you realize you mistakes.

Old 29-03-2008, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

I don't think animals fear nearly as much as humans. Fear is a
byproduct of the ego, which I don't think afflict animals, because
they just pee or crap anywhere and don't have any shame for it. Nor do
they have possessions to covet or social status to protect. I think
they may experience some fear, but that could also be their instinct
('spidey senses') telling them to beware of something. Not to get too
Eckhart Tolle on you, but they are probably a lot more in touch with
their intuition and live in complete presence and joy.

Thank you, but I think I'll trust what The Dalai Lama teaches
regarding suffering and fear. Humans are also animals. Parrots
absoluteley have social structure, as do whales, and many othe mammals
including wolves.

I read about a test once, which is to say I can't remember the source,
that bred some small fish to be assertive, others of the same species
was not specially treated, and a third group was conditioned to be
fearful. They put the fish together and added some predators. As you
might guess, the small assertive fish disappeared first, then the
average fish, and lastly the fearful fish. Fear can be a survival tool,
if you know when to pick it up and when to put it down. Not being to put
it down means that you are neurotic.

Old 30-03-2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://tinyurl.com/2c8m7s

no . l donot talk to my plant. l have heard some people say its good to
do. some say it help the plants grow.

--
mor- Hide quoted text -

I've wondered if the reason plants may respond to our talking to them,
is because of the carbon dioxide in our breath that they may need???

It might help to brush our teeth and gargle first, however;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
Old 31-03-2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 28, 10:09*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

geez louise! I don't see how a negative attitude helps anyone, but you
are free to believe what you want! It's not my job to convince you.