Old 07-07-2009, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Canning Peppers

Does anyone know how to can peppers? We did some last year and of
course can't find the book. Do you blanch them or do you have to cook
them through? Thanks for any ideas.

MJ
Old 08-07-2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

I've canned (pickled) peppers for years, also made pepper jelly and pepper
relish. I pack mine raw into the jars when pickling peppers, if this is what
you mean when you say 'canning'. If you'll put 'canning peppers' into Google
you'll get about 335,000 hits on sites that give you recipes and
instructions.

Val

Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
" wrote:

Does anyone know how to can peppers? We did some last year and of
course can't find the book. Do you blanch them or do you have to cook
them through? Thanks for any ideas.

MJ

Try the News Group: rec.food.preserving

Many here hangout there - cross poster

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

Does anyone know how to can peppers? We did some last year and of
course can't find the book. Do you blanch them or do you have to cook
them through? Thanks for any ideas.

MJ

Try the News Group: rec.food.preserving

Many here hangout there - cross poster

Enjoy Life ... Dan

I looked there, nothing. I had better luck at
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningpeppers.htm
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 6:24*pm, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to can peppers? We did some last year and of
course can't find the book. Do you blanch them or do *you have to cook
them through? Thanks for any ideas.

MJ

My father used to cook them in olive oil and freeze. He liked to eat
peppers and eggs. I guess they would be fine for other dishes. As
others point out, unless you can with vinegar, you would need to
pressure can to prevent botulism.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jul 8, 7:43*am, Frank wrote:
On Jul 7, 6:24*pm, "
wrote:

Does anyone know how to can peppers? We did some last year and of
course can't find the book. Do you blanch them or do *you have to cook
them through? Thanks for any ideas.

MJ

My father used to cook them in olive oil and freeze. *He liked to eat
peppers and eggs. *I guess they would be fine for other dishes. *As
others point out, unless you can with vinegar, you would need to
pressure can to prevent botulism.

Thanks everyone. We found the book last night and it does call for
vinegar. We also have a pressure caner. That being said I think we are
going to blanch and freeze. Right now I have a Laundry tub full of
peppers waiting for me to recover from weeding.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 6:24*pm, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to can peppers? We did some last year and of
course can't find the book. Do you blanch them or do *you have to cook
them through? Thanks for any ideas.

MJ

Why not try freezing them? I freeze my peppers every year. Just
wash, dry, remove the seeds, slice or chop (whatever your choice is)
and place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Slip the sheet
into the freezer for a couple of hours and then put them into freezer
bags. This first step of freezing in a single layer prevents them from
sticking all together into one mass of peppers and you can removed
just the amount you want when you need them. They won't be crisp
when thawed but perfect for any kind of cooking.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

mj said:

Thanks everyone. We found the book last night and it does call for
vinegar. We also have a pressure caner. That being said I think we are
going to blanch and freeze. Right now I have a Laundry tub full of
peppers waiting for me to recover from weeding.

Peppers don't need to be blanched before freezing. Just do as "ctlady"
said in her post: freeze cut up peppers in a single layer on a tray, then
put them into freezer bags for long term storage.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:
mj said:

Thanks everyone. We found the book last night and it does call for
vinegar. We also have a pressure caner. That being said I think we are
going to blanch and freeze. Right now I have a Laundry tub full of
peppers waiting for me to recover from weeding.

Peppers don't need to be blanched before freezing. Just do as "ctlady"
said in her post: freeze cut up peppers in a single layer on a tray, then
put them into freezer bags for long term storage.

For long term storage it's best to dehydrate peppers. Frozen fresh peppers
have a freezer shelf life of about 1 year. Home canned peppers have a shelf
life of about 2 years. Dehydrated peppers have a shelf life of about 2
years but increases to about 10 years and longer when frozen. If one has a
glut of say fresh bell peppers from their garden it's best to cook them in a
recipe and then freeze the cooked dish, stuffed peppers freeze well...
freezing fresh raw bell peppers ruins them for using fresh and for using in
most all cooked recipes, even dumped into soup they'll disintergrate
rapidly. Whenever I have a lot of bell peppers from my garden I eat as many
as I can raw in salads and saute in recipes for immediate use and give the
rest away. I really don't see the point in freezing or canning bell
peppers. And hot peppers store best dried. Bell peppers contain so much
moisture that it costs more in energy usage to dry them in a home dehydrater
than to buy them commercially dried. Commercial dehydrating is done in a
vacuum chamber, moisture is literally sucked out while very little heat is
applied, this retains and even intensifies flavor. Home dehydrators
actually waste food, it dries but with very little flavor retained, so
essentially you'll be producing dust. Unless it's a food that can be sun
dried (not many can be) don't bother, home dehydrators are a waste. Most
hot peppers contain little moisture so are very easy to air dry.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:
mj said:

[...]

In repost to the deranged idiot above,
http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm

Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:
mj said:

[...]

We used to dry peppers then freeze them. Now our dehydrator used
exclusively for fruit. Apples, peaches and a rare pineapple if the
price is right. This all aimed at getting ready for Christmas. I
married a Swede. Dark winter with a hint of summer goes well as a gift
or stewed with ice cream. Never dried rhubarb but should be a given.

Bill whose electrical dehydrator works in about 48 hours. Sort of like
slow and steady won the race. Once wrote about a Latvian friend whose
dad smoked eel in a old ice box then dried it further in a discarded old
clean car. Went well with vodka and laughter .

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/
Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:56:06 -0700 (PDT), ctlady
wrote:

snip
Why not try freezing them? I freeze my peppers every year. Just
wash, dry, remove the seeds, slice or chop (whatever your choice is)
and place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Slip the sheet
into the freezer for a couple of hours and then put them into freezer
bags. This first step of freezing in a single layer prevents them from
sticking all together into one mass of peppers and you can removed
just the amount you want when you need them. They won't be crisp
when thawed but perfect for any kind of cooking.

They don't stick together all that bad. I've never had any
trouble separating them after freezing in zip lock bags.
Could be maybe my hands are a bit stronger too

Wash them off, core/remove seeds and any bad spots, slice
into strips maybe an inch or so wide. Shove into large (2
gallon work nice) freezer bag, freeze. Use for cooking, they
will be mushy/limp when they thaw out. I've kept them in a
chest freezer for a year or so without any troubles.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:
mj said:

[...]

RU Nutz... that fercocktah rube goldberg won't dehydrate fruit before they
rot... your billygoat brain is dehydrated, like a freakin' lychee nut! LOL

Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote

We used to dry peppers then freeze them. Now our dehydrator used
exclusively for fruit. Apples, peaches and a rare pineapple

It's not possible to dehydrate pineapple at home for less than it costs to
buy it already dehydrated... not unless you live where pineapple is grown,
and then why bother.. the dehy pineapple one buys in market is dried in
pineapple growing countries becaue it would be stupid to ship heavy
pineapple when it costs much less to ship already dried. Actually it's not
possible to dehydrate statside pineapple before it rots because to ship it
needs to be harvested long before fully ripe, and because it doesn't contain
enough sugar to keep from rotting in the drying process. There are no field
ripened pineapple in stateside markets, and pineapple does not ripen further
once picked. I think you're full of billygoat poopoo... you just made all
that up... you never made a raisin. Anytime someone begins a claim with
"We" then ya gotta know here comes a lie... WE usta, that's barroom
boasting, that's likker tawkin'. Just like I caught you last time, you are
a patent LIAR... you can't help yourself, you have a disease.