Old 14-07-2009, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Terro Liquid Ant baits

Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer and they never slowed down. Now so far this summer
they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits eventually
help lower the ant population?

--
Paul O.

Old 14-07-2009, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul wrote:
Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer and they never slowed down. Now so far this
summer they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits
eventually help lower the ant population?

I have no idea about Terro but you can make your own ant bait cheaply and
easily. Mix borax with fine sugar about 1:3 and make a thickish paste with
a little water. It will keep indefinitely in a small capped jar. Dot this
around where the ants walk. Although not acutely toxic as with any poison
make sure animals and children cannot get to it. It works well and unless
it gets rained on it will last a long time.

David

Old 14-07-2009, 06:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Paul wrote:
Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer and they never slowed down. Now so far this
summer they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits
eventually help lower the ant population?

I have no idea about Terro but you can make your own ant bait cheaply and
easily. Mix borax with fine sugar about 1:3 and make a thickish paste with
a little water. It will keep indefinitely in a small capped jar. Dot this
around where the ants walk. Although not acutely toxic as with any poison
make sure animals and children cannot get to it. It works well and unless
it gets rained on it will last a long time.

David

Damn good idea David, damn good. The only problem is . . . uh,
Terro is Borax based:O(
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 14-07-2009, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:15:59 -0700, against all advice, something
compelled Billy , to say:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Paul wrote:
Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer and they never slowed down. Now so far this
summer they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits
eventually help lower the ant population?

I have no idea about Terro but you can make your own ant bait cheaply and
easily. Mix borax with fine sugar about 1:3 and make a thickish paste with
a little water. It will keep indefinitely in a small capped jar. Dot this
around where the ants walk. Although not acutely toxic as with any poison
make sure animals and children cannot get to it. It works well and unless
it gets rained on it will last a long time.

David

Damn good idea David, damn good. The only problem is . . . uh,
Terro is Borax based:O(

Terro used to work. It worked very well. Too well, as it were,
and the Safety Nazis forced it to change. After all, WHAT IF A
CHILD GO INTO IT!!!?????

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Old 14-07-2009, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
during an out of mind experience Steve Daniels

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Paul wrote:
[...]

Let the kid go into it. What the hell do I care;O)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rid_of_ants_us
ing_terro_pg3.html?cat=6
Terro Liquid Ant Bait reports it is "similar to pancake syrup combined
with Borax" which "is a common active ingredient that is used in soap
products... The product kills ants but will not harm people or pets...
Pets occasionally find the Terro and eat it. Our advice when this
happens is to do nothing at all. The product is not toxic enough to
cause a problem and the pet will be just fine."

(Ranting On)
If you want some homemade options see
http://www.ehow.com/how_4434964_ant-...lly-works.html
(Ranting Off)

Old 14-07-2009, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 13, 8:46*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Paul wrote:
Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer *and they never slowed down. Now so far this
summer they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits
eventually help lower the ant population?

I have no idea about Terro but you can make your own ant bait cheaply and
easily. *Mix borax with fine sugar about 1:3 and make a thickish paste with
a little water. *It will keep indefinitely in a small capped jar. *Dot this
around where the ants walk. *Although not acutely toxic as with any poison
make sure animals and children cannot get to it. *It works well and unless
it gets rained on it will last a long time.

David

Currently testing a recipe of 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 teaspoon
brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon boric acid.
The ants love it and after a couple of days their population is down.
Old 15-07-2009, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:57:30 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer and they never slowed down. Now so far this summer
they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits eventually
help lower the ant population?

I have used them many times with success. One trap should wipe out an
entire colony. I've been using the Terro traps outdoors on the deck.
Typically, the ants are very active with a trap for 2-3 days, then all
of the sudden they are gone. Ants support aphids and may build nests
inside potted plants.
Old 15-07-2009, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Paul O.
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:57:30 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer and they never slowed down. Now so far this summer
they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits eventually
help lower the ant population?

I have used them many times with success. One trap should wipe out an
entire colony. I've been using the Terro traps outdoors on the deck.
Typically, the ants are very active with a trap for 2-3 days, then all
of the sudden they are gone. Ants support aphids and may build nests
inside potted plants.

I wish they worked that good for me. I have three of them on a ledge above
the kitchen sink and there has been a steady stream of ants to them for
about three weeks now. I only have 1 left of six in the box. Gonna have to
go get a new supply. At least the ants are up on the ledge instead of all
over the sink board, thats the only way I can see that are working.

Paul O.

Old 15-07-2009, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 14, 10:24*pm, "Paul" wrote:
--
[...]

I smeared my mix on their outside paths and it has been active but
less ants for about 3 days.
A squirrel got into some of it so I moved into cracks where squirrel
should not be able to access. Mix should not harm squirrel but it
would be nice to kill two birds with one stone
Old 23-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Do they really work. It seems that I fed the ants in the kitchen these
things all last summer and they never slowed down. Now so far this summer
they are going thru these things like crazy, will these baits eventually
help lower the ant population?

--
Paul O.

Hi,
Mix borax with fine sugar about 1:3 and make a thickish paste with
a little water. It will keep indefinitely in a small capped jar. Dot this
around where the ants walk. Although not acutely toxic as with any poison
make sure animals and children cannot get to it.

I only have 1 left of six in the box. Gonna have to
go get a new supply. At least the ants are up on the ledge instead of all
over the sink board, thats the only way I can see that are working.
http://Garden-Planters.com

[IMG] code is On

Mice in the snail and slug baits Rachels United Kingdom 11 20-03-2010 09:06 PM
Fire Ant Control Shyamal Mitra Texas 15 30-09-2003 03:43 AM
ant infestation Lee & Deb Miles Bonsai 2 26-03-2003 01:56 AM
[IBC] ant infestation Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 25-03-2003 05:20 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM