Old 24-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Ian

Default Dandelions

Soon spring will be here, as will my yellow sea of dandelions. To be
honest,
I really haven't tried very hard to get rid of them. I live next to a

field
that is full of wildflowers (which I quite enjoy), and I had always

assumed
that any attempt I made to rid my lawn of weeds would be nullified by

seeds
from the field next door ending up on my lawn.However, in an attempt to be
neighbourly, I thought I'd try this year to at least get a start on
controlling the dandelions.

Just leave the dandelions. They are an extreemly important spring
nectar and pollen honeybee crop. The sight of dandelions is beutifull
in my eyes, and I never appreciated the plant soo much as when I
started raising bees. Instead of fighting them, and loosing every
year, just leave them and enjoy their benifet to the nectar collecting
insects.
Old 24-02-2003, 09:52 PM
animaux

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:24:43 GMT, Lar wrote:

Those two don't eat plant material, but have seen Fence
hunt for bees and flies off the flowers. The kids will
feed the flowers and tender leaves to an iguana and
catch bees for a bearded dragon we have.

I've seen mine eat giant grasshoppers half hanging out the back of their mouths
for a hour till they get it all down.

Old 24-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:54:50 GMT, animaux
wrote:

You know, Johnny's Select Seeds actually sells a cultivated form of dandelion
seeds? This is one pretty plant. I don't understand what the hoopla is about
when they pop up. Mowing them before they form seed moons is one other way of
keeping them from spreading, but getting rid of them is silly.

I didn't know lizards like them! What a plus. We have lizards all over the
place. Both Anole's and fence lizards. See some babies from our yard he

http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/ne...n/Page_5x.html

http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/ne...n/Page_6x.html

Ah the Fence lizards and Anoles are carnivores, green iguanas love
Dandelions I understand though mine are finicky and only eat the
flowers.

Cool shots of the fence lizards. Sceloporus are neat guys.

Dave

Old 24-02-2003, 10:39 PM
animaux

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:53:34 -0500, Dave Fouchey wrote:

Ah the Fence lizards and Anoles are carnivores, green iguanas love
Dandelions I understand though mine are finicky and only eat the
flowers.

Cool shots of the fence lizards. Sceloporus are neat guys.

Dave

There are so many of these little creatures in the yard, it's hard to walk
around and not see at least 10 of them scampering around. I adore them. The
facade of our home is 6 inch thick limestone. They put small seep holes at the
foundation and there is an anole in each one of them! They peek out every day
when it gets warm, which will not happen today. Yesterday it was 80, today at
430p it is still under 40. One good thing about cold, you can easily pick them
up and examine them for disease or possible defects. If you go back by our
mature mesquite tree, you would find many mature fence lizards. They get to be
around a foot long, two inches wide, which you probably know!

Old 24-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:30:07 GMT, animaux
wrote:

[...]

V these are the ones I am most familiar with

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...porus/s._woodi

Caught some for study once, man are these suckers FAST...;-)

Dave

Old 25-02-2003, 03:51 AM
animaux

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:27:19 -0500, Dave Fouchey wrote:

V these are the ones I am most familiar with

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...porus/s._woodi

Caught some for study once, man are these suckers FAST...;-)

Dave

After reading the URL I laughed because part of why we love to sit in the
evening and watch them, is their behavior; the "push-ups" they do. Even the
teeny weeny ones do that!

There is one who stays in the same spot year after year, for the past three
years we've had this house. This was virgin land when they built and they left
everything, trees, topsoil, etc. intact.

Tonight we are having an ice storm. Texas weather near spring is a real
challenge. Hope all the critters are in their dwellings.

Victoria
Old 25-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Trish K.

I did see a leash for iguanas in the pet store, can you do one of
those hawk training things with parakeets?

sorry, decent question.