Old 24-01-2010, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hello All :)

I'm new here and have been looking for just such a group as this to
discuss vegetable gardening. I'm a 61 year young male who lives in
central Pennsylvania. Last season I decided to grow some tomato plants.
Didn't know much about it though. Just dug some holes right through the
sod in my back yard about 10" in diameter each and planted (14) plants.
I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise, they done really well
especially the Jet Star plants. Needless to say, this got me hooked on
gardening big time! I've been digging up sod every chance I get. Sure
is a back breaking job By this spring I hope to have about 175 sq.
ft. of planting rows dug each being 30" wide. I even ordered 35
asparagus crowns and plan to start a bed. If possible I'd like to try
and grow all the vegetables I enjoy eating. The bug bit me hard. I got
a Tumbleweed composter, grow lights and heat mat for starting seeds and
lot's of different seeds from the net. I plan to grow tomatoes (all
kinds including heirlooms) leaf lettuce, sweet bell peppers, eggplants,
cauliflower, parsley, copra storage onions, ground cherries, turnips and
cantaloupes. The wife say's: that's enough so it looks like I have to
stop now! LOL My soil is clay so I been digging in lot's of shredded
leaves from last fall and also some home made compost. I may also mix
in a bit of dry bagged cow manure and some bagged garden soil. Any
hints or tips on any of the veggies I'll be growing will be much
appreciated ........... Rich From PA

Old 24-01-2010, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jan 24, 11:20*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
[...]

Hello and welcome ! Good for you having a good tomato crop, I know a
lot of people in the North that had awful luck.
What No Zucchini or Yellow Squash?? Peppers take forever to get
started so if you haven't planted seeds yet you might want to soon. I
grew Eggplant last year and decided that I really don't like it. What
is a "ground cherry"? Leaf lettuce doesn't mind cooler temperatures so
you might be able to start it before the recommended date.

If you have a local Cooperative Extension office they may do soil also
have a Master Gardening program and those folks are very helpful with
pretty much any question you may have. I am currently working with my
office to get a class started so that I can become a "Master".

MJ
Old 24-01-2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jan 24, 1:17*pm, mj wrote:
[...]

Forgot to mention there is also
rec.gardens.edible
Old 24-01-2010, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:20:55 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

[...]

Not everything will grow well, and some things will grow well one year
and not so good the next. Check up on companion planting and rotate
your crops. Sounds like you know about composting you will do well. I
made three round wire-fence compost bins, easy to make and move
around. No zuchinni? I have the little Honda tiller, lightweight and
does a remarkably fast job in smaller gardens. Borage is a great herb
to help draw bees and increase yield.
Old 24-01-2010, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

As you must be aware, all the plants have their own needs when it comes
to soil temperature, pH, watering, N-P-K, ect. Learn about these needs.

Two good books that you can get from your library a
"How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...=search-alias%
3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb.../dp/0881927775
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1

Teaming with Microbes is important in understanding what is happening in
the soil, e.g.:
Chapter 1

Most gardeners think of plants as only taking up nutrients through root
systems and feeding the leaves. Few realize that a great deal of the
energy that results from photosynthesis in the leaves is actually used
by plants to produce
chemicals they secrete through their roots. These secretions are known
as exudates. A good analogy is perspiration, a human's exudate.
Root exudates are in the form of carbohydrates (including sugars) and
proteins. Amazingly, their presence wakes up, attracts, and grows
specific beneficial bacteria and fungi living in the soil that subsist
on these exudates and the_ cellular material sloughed off as the plant's
root tips grow. All this secretion of_ exudates and sloughing-off of
cells takes place in the rhizosphere, a zone immediately around the
roots, extending out about a tenth of an inch, or a couple of
millimeters (1 millimeter = 1/25 inch). The rhizosphere, which can
look_ like a jelly or jam under the electron microscope, contains a
constantly changing mix of soil organisms, including bacteria, fungi,
nematodes, protozoa, and_ even larger organisms. All this "life"
competes for the exudates in the rhizosphere, or its water or mineral
content.
At the bottom of the soil food web are bacteria and fungi, which are
attracted to and consume plant root exudates. In turn, they attract and
are eaten _by bigger microbes, specifically nematodes and protozoa
(remember the _amoebae, paramecia, flagellates, and ciliates you should
have studied in biology?), who eat bacteria and fungi (primarily for
carbon) to fuel their metabolic_ functions. Anything they don't need is
excreted as wastes, which plant roots are _readily able to absorb as
nutrients. How convenient that this production of_ plant nutrients takes
place right in the rhizosphere, the site of root-nutrient_ absorption.
---

Gardening is a fascinating subject. Enjoy the ride:O)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines

Old 24-01-2010, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

From the last issue of "The Sun".

Sunbeams section.....

Random quotes folks mail in.

Here are three.

"I am I plus my surroundings, and if I do not preserve the latter I do
not preserve myself. "

Jose Ortega y Gasset

" Increasing, the world around us looks as if we hated it."

Alan Watts

"For every person who has ever lived there will come, at last, a spring
he will never see. Glory then in the springs that are yours. "

Pam Brown

Aging hippy Bill

www.thesunmagazine.org

If after your hands are dirty your mind may be enquiring as to others
see the mystery. Very small paper mag.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/757.html What is Global Dimming??
Less light more shade world wide food implications
Reduction of Vitamin D too?
Old 24-01-2010, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Not everything will grow well, and some things will grow well one year
and not so good the next. Check up on companion planting and rotate
your crops.

Let me add "green manure", and rye and/or buckwheat as cover crops to
lighten the clay soil.

Old 25-01-2010, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

Two good books that you can get from your library a
"How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...=search-alias%
3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb.../dp/0881927775
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1

Teaming with Microbes is important in understanding what is happening in
the soil, e.g.:
Chapter 1

Hmmm ...

The Book "Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis" Is an excellent book, however it is
in my opinion, not for the beginning type of garden book, unless you
have a scientific mind.

For a more down to earth book, I'll go with:
"The Vegetable Gardener's BIBLE by Smith"
A newer version comes out in February.

Sorry Billy

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

[...]

"Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
is a good book and I use it often, but I have never seen another book
that explains soil as well as "Teaming with Microbes". I think most
people have a handle on worms, bacteria, and fungi. It shouldn't be too
much of a stretch to look-up protozoa and nematodes. The main concepts
are the living nature of the soil, the cost of killing that community of
organisms, and how that community of organism is only supported by
organic gardening.

Jeff Lowenfels has been writing a garden column since 1976. Newspapers
typically write for some one with a 12 year old mentality, so I don't
think the book is too challenging. If it proves too difficult, you may
want to try
City Green (Hardcover) by Dyanne Disalvo-ryan
http://www.amazon.com/City-Green-Dya...812786X/ref=sr
_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264474197&sr=1-1.

Old 26-01-2010, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 24, 8:20*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
[...]

It's always wonderful to welcome a new gardener to the most rewarding
"hobby" (of course it's more than that!) in the world.

I'm in So. Calif coastal, which is adobe (clay) but fortunately the
people I bought from umpty years ago had modified the soil,
which I have continued to do. I'

Old 26-01-2010, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 24, 8:20*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
[...]

Oops - I think I hit the wrong key and my message went out unfinished

Anyway, just to run on a bit: It's great that you are composting. I
keep
a crock in my kitchen sink and compost all vegetables, fruits, and
carbs,
trashing only grease, meat and bones -- of which I use very little.
There is such delight in shoveling out of the bottom of my compost
bin that lush, dark treasure!

I know you got lots of good advice above; just mentioning that it
might
take a season or two for the asparagus to kick in.

Also, don't forget the carrots (many varieties) and green onions.

Gardening at the beach here is very different from Pennsylvania (I
grew up
in Luzerne); we can garden all year, but not the crops that need
winter chill. Even here, however, microclimates differ; just over
the
mountains there could be frost.

OK, I'm rambling; just to say Hi and Welcome.

Persephone

Old 26-01-2010, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
[...]

A couple of my esentials to plant:

Basil - for freezer pesto - excellent for qui8ck delicious meals all winter.
Edible pod peas - One of the best grazing crops around.

Old 26-01-2010, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hello All :) (Higgs)

When I ordered my asparagus crowns, I ordered 25 Jersey Giant and 10
purple passion crowns. I may have run into a problem already and that
is space. I didn't even dig the bed yet because the crowns won't be
here till mid April. The only area in my yard I can use for the bed
will be a 4' by 12' area. I'm thinking about spacing the purple passion
about 8" apart and the jersey giant at 12" apart and plant three rows in
the bed. I'm wondering if I can get away with a bed this size for 35
crowns all total? Will the asparagus spears be smaller in diameter if
spaced this close or will an area this size not work at all for me?
Should have done more research before I ordered! Kick myself in the
butt.......lol

Rich

Old 26-01-2010, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

When I ordered my asparagus crowns, I ordered 25 Jersey Giant and 10
purple passion crowns. I may have run into a problem already and that
is space. I didn't even dig the bed yet because the crowns won't be
here till mid April. The only area in my yard I can use for the bed
will be a 4' by 12' area. I'm thinking about spacing the purple passion
about 8" apart and the jersey giant at 12" apart and plant three rows in
the bed. I'm wondering if I can get away with a bed this size for 35
crowns all total? Will the asparagus spears be smaller in diameter if
spaced this close or will an area this size not work at all for me?
Should have done more research before I ordered! Kick myself in the
butt.......lol

Rich

My Dad did it this way on 4 rows about 100 feet long separated by about
3 feet.

Dig a trench removing all the top soil about 10 inches. Do it again
removing the subsoil and replace with compost/aged manure. Place crowns
on bottom layer and cover with top soil. One crown about a foot
apart. This was designed to last awhile as it is real work.
We were wiped out by a asparagus virus circa 1960. The disease
resistant Rutgers were not as prolific and our yield never came back.
I can cut a few meals from stragglers. The commercial growing near
by here is pretty much history. Turned into orchards now corn and soy
beans. With a few small attempts scattered about. This was Jersey
Truck farming area labor intensive and fresh.

Bill

Old 26-01-2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

[...]

Hmmm....

How many books do you have Wild Billy?
Books are an addiction Amazon.com loves me

I have about 1,200 books in my library. Average cost $25 per book.
That about $30,000 in books. I have read 3/4 of them. I keep asking
myself: Does that make smart or stupid?

Latest books I have purchased:
On Gardening, 2 months ago
Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
ISBN-10: 1603580298. A very interesting book on design.

On Cooking, 1 month ago
Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed
ISBN-10: 0688102298. For the scientific mind
and
Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen: Capturing the Vibrant flavors of a
World-Class Cuisine. SBN-10: 0684800063. I like it!

On Computers, last week
PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide
ISBN-10: 032152599X. On Chapter 3, So far so good.
"David E. Ross" knows about this one.

PATHETIC! Is it not!

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] hello all Gary & Kathy Hendricks Bonsai 0 26-02-2005 10:10 PM
Hello All Orchid Lovers! Ganoksin Orchids 2 07-12-2004 10:41 AM
Hello all viv United Kingdom 1 15-06-2004 11:09 PM
Hello All Orchid Lovers! Ganoksin Orchids 0 22-03-2004 05:11 AM
Hello All Orchid Lovers! Ganoksin Orchids 0 22-03-2004 05:04 AM