Old 25-03-2010, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant ID help

I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into my http://foragingpictures.com/ album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

#4 may be Hibiscus

http://images.google.com/images?q=Hi...utf-8&oe=utf-8

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 25-03-2010, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/25/10 12:46 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into my http://foragingpictures.com/ album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

If #4 is not a hibiscus, it is still a mallow. Mallows include
hibiscus, blue hibiscus, okra, Lavatera, and hollyhock.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

#1 is debatable. Possibly early season Lavander? Thyme also comes to mind
as does early season wild fennel.

#2 Flowering Mustard is what it looks like. There's an Asian version that
looks just like that. Grows in the USA as well.

#3 Could that be slippery Elm?

#4 version of hibiscis

If it helps, I believe all those are edibles except it's the bark of the
slippery elm.

Old 25-03-2010, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , David E.
Ross writes
On 3/25/10 12:46 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into my http://foragingpictures.com/ album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

If #4 is not a hibiscus, it is still a mallow. Mallows include
hibiscus, blue hibiscus, okra, Lavatera, and hollyhock.

Not Lavatera; not hollyhock, both of which have filiform stigmas (and
more than 5 style arms). Not Alygoyne (blue hibiscus) (wrong colour). It
would be something in tribe Hibisceae, and probably not one of the
schizocarpic fruited genera (e.g. Malvaviscus, Pavonia), which have 10
style arms. Not Abelmoschus (okra) (foliage wrong).

It doesn't look that far off Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (leaf shape and
androecial structure seem to match).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

#1 is not lavendar or thyme, and probably not fennel, either.
Though it does look familiar...I know I've seen this before...

#2 Is not a mustard.

It does somewhat suggest pokeweed just starting to show
flower buds, but I've no real confidence in that ID. I have no
real sense of scale on it.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijun...s_of_Northern_
New_England/Phytolacca_americana

#3 Is not slippery elm. Of that much I'm certain.

#4 does look to be some cultiver of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 26-03-2010, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/25/10 12:46 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this
batch is not yet merged into my http://foragingpictures.com/ album.
Before I can process them there are four pictures I need to
identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

If #4 is not a hibiscus, it is still a mallow. Mallows include
hibiscus, blue hibiscus, okra, Lavatera, and hollyhock.

To my inexpert eye it looks like a hibiscus. I am guessing that there are
several plants around the world locally called hibiscus. Which "hibiscus"
is it not and why not?

David

Old 27-03-2010, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

#1 is not lavendar or thyme, and probably not fennel, either.
Though it does look familiar...I know I've seen this before...

I agree with you Pat. It is something that we should know and
not lavender or thyme or fennel.

#2 Is not a mustard.

It does somewhat suggest pokeweed just starting to show
flower buds, but I've no real confidence in that ID. I have no
real sense of scale on it.

Also agree, the first thing I thought was Poke with buds. The leaves
are very like Poke weed too.

#3 Is not slippery elm. Of that much I'm certain.

Agreed. Another one that looks familiar

#4 does look to be some cultiver of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.

Yes it is...also known as Chinese Hibiscus or Tropical Hibiscus.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Emilie
NorCal

Old 27-03-2010, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 25, 1:46 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into myhttp://foragingpictures.com/album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Don
It might help to know where you saw these plants: country, state etc.

Emilie

#1 Wild carrot/daucus carota/Queen Anne's lace?

#3 looks like some kind of Rhus/sumac

gloria p

Old 27-03-2010, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, mleblanca wrote:

On Mar 25, 1:46 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into myhttp://foragingpictures.com/album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

It might help to know where you saw these plants: country, state etc.

Yea, I should have made that clearer. Wildman Steve Brill only gives tours
in the NYC area. These are from Prospect Park. And the date is in the URL,
which means these were taken on July 1st.

The last picture wasn't on his tour. So it would be whatever Hibiscus grows
around here.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old 28-03-2010, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/27/10 12:48 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, mleblanca wrote:

On Mar 25, 1:46 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into myhttp://foragingpictures.com/album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

It might help to know where you saw these plants: country, state etc.

Yea, I should have made that clearer. Wildman Steve Brill only gives tours
in the NYC area. These are from Prospect Park. And the date is in the URL,
which means these were taken on July 1st.

The last picture wasn't on his tour. So it would be whatever Hibiscus grows
around here.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

No variety of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (a tropical) will survive a New
York winter. Even with light night-time frosts where I live, they are
marginal. However, some varieties grow and flower quickly and can be
used as annuals.

Hibiscus syriacus (rose of Sharon) is hardy to -10F when mature, but I
can't find a yellow variety. Hibiscus mutabilis (confederate rose) is
hardy to 28F, but it too does not seem to have a yellow variety.

Old 28-03-2010, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Don Wiss said:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, mleblanca wrote:

On Mar 25, 1:46 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this

batch is
not yet merged into myhttp://foragingpictures.com/album. Before I

can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown

at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

What are they?

It might help to know where you saw these plants: country, state etc.

Yea, I should have made that clearer. Wildman Steve Brill only gives tours
in the NYC area. These are from Prospect Park. And the date is in the URL,
which means these were taken on July 1st.

Perhaps if you repost the images around that time it will help (especially with
#1).

I think that the pokeweed and Hibiscus IDs are reliable.

The first one hasn't been IDed properly yet, and the other one with
pinnately compound leaves is that is not slippery elm (and not a sumac,
either, in my opinion) remained to be IDed.

I'm thinking that one is not a woody plant at all, but rather an herb.
Possibly even something like tickseed sunflower -- a common name for
several species of large Bidens -- too bad we have no sign of flowers or
even buds. (But this is a rather wild guess...)

Were these plants all supposed to be edible or in some other way useful?

Old 28-03-2010, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:30:56 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Don Wiss said:
I still have a batch of pictures from a years ago Wildman Steve Brill
foraging walk that I have not yet put on the web. This means this batch is
not yet merged into my http://foragingpictures.com/ album. Before I can
process them there are four pictures I need to identify. They are shown at:

http://donwiss.com/PP-20060701.htm

Yea, I should have made that clearer. Wildman Steve Brill only gives tours
in the NYC area. These are from Prospect Park. And the date is in the URL,
which means these were taken on July 1st.

I think that the pokeweed and Hibiscus IDs are reliable.

Yes. You can see a pokeweed in the same park at about the same time he
http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Pokeweed/h0010.htm

The first one hasn't been IDed properly yet,

I thought the first one was one of the mustard family. Now I have taken
many pictures of his tours in Prospect Park. There is no plant here that he
hasn't pointed out on one of his prior tours and is already in
foragingpictures.com. The Hibiscus I just took on my own, as it was a
pretty flower.

and the other one with
pinnately compound leaves is that is not slippery elm (and not a sumac,
either, in my opinion) remained to be IDed.

I'm thinking that one is not a woody plant at all, but rather an herb.
Possibly even something like tickseed sunflower -- a common name for
several species of large Bidens -- too bad we have no sign of flowers or
even buds. (But this is a rather wild guess...)

Tickseed sunflower or large Bidens have never been pointed out on a tour of
his.

Were these plants all supposed to be edible or in some other way useful?

Yes, or poisonous and he's pointing them out to avoid them. Like he loves
to hold white snakeroot and give the story of Lincoln's mother dying of
milk from a cow that ate the plant. And why people had to fence their
pastures to keep the cows out of the woods.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

#1).

I think that the pokeweed and Hibiscus IDs are reliable.

The first one hasn't been IDed properly yet, and the other one with
pinnately compound leaves is that is not slippery elm (and not a sumac,
either, in my opinion) remained to be IDed.

Right, Pat. It isn't sumac/Rhus, not enough leaflets, only 5. Sumac
has at least 9 leaflets.

I'm thinking that one is not a woody plant at all, but rather an herb.
Possibly even something like tickseed sunflower -- a common name for
several species of large Bidens -- too bad we have no sign of flowers or
even buds. (But this is a rather wild guess...)

Looking at the leaves in the lower right hand corner, they look rather
mustard-like,
but without flowers and/or seeds it is difficult to be sure.
They look rather "cress-like". Do you remember any flowers, Don?
color, # of petals?

Emilie