Old 09-07-2014, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rabbit!

On 07/09/2014 10:54 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Two things: Do not buy from Walmart, which cruelly exploits is worker.

Hi Higgs,

"Cruelly exploit". You are kidding? No one is forcing them
to work there. They are not slaves. This is just mud slinging
because they are a non-union shop. Lots of places pay crappy
wages. If they are a union shop, you don't hear about it.
No one is forcing anyone to work those places either.

Next: Do not cruelly spike rabbitg's food with hot sauce.

Kill it quickly, fence it out, but do not torture it.
HB

You are kidding again? No?

The wabbit will only take a quick taste and it will come
right back out. Kind of like me and Kale. YUK! The thought
of it!

The bunny will be just fine. There is a difference between
"aversion" and "torture". Tasting and rejecting food is part of
wabbits normal everyday life.

What did you think I was going to do? Hold the poor little dear
down, pry its mouth open, and pour cheap-asses hot sauce
down his throat?

And if you were kidding, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

-T

Old 10-07-2014, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:23:28 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 7/8/2014 1:22 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

The gardeners sprayed the new shoots and buds with a mixture of
liquid

soap, cayenne, and human urine. The squirrels immediately abandoned
the

trees.

How did the fruit taste?

[...]

HB

You are simplifying this too much. For a start it depends on whether the
pee is from a male or female. In the case of the male the size of the 'nads
is also a factor. See if you can get DER to put 'em on the scales......

If intending to scent mark posessions I would rather get the dogs to do it
by proxy, they are better at it and have not much else to do.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:

I went out in the dark with a flash light to water my
garden. Found the cutest little wabbit (Elmer Fudd speak
for "rabbit") about the size of a baseball taking a nap
in my zukes. He got a bath but good and now resides in
other parts of my yard. Though he was a rat at first.

Are rabbits something to worry about? If so, how would
you rid your garden of them?

Many thanks,
-T

yes, rabbits will rapidly take over. we
have a lot of damage from them this past winter
and too many around now. i've been lucky so
far this season with my unfenced gardens, but
i don't count on them for most of the veggie
production anyways.

fencing works well enough, if you have
deer in your area make the fence tall enough
to keep them out too and save yourself the
extra work later.

if you have chipmunks/squirrels, ground-hogs/
woodchucks, voles, moles, etc. there are ways of
making the fence suitable for excluding them.
you'll want a very fine mesh for excluding the
smaller critters.

done well also put down heavy plastic sheeting
along the fence (before you put the stakes in
and before you fence), when you then put the fence
up this will help you keep the weeds from growing
on your fence. mulch the plastic to keep the
sun off it. saves a lot of bother later. it may
look rather stark, but if you let weeds grow along
your fence you may not be able to notice how a
critter finds a way in. also, avoiding having
things growing on the fence keeps the wind from
having extra things to push against and knocking
it over.

do not plant vines to grow on this fence. do
not use it for beans or anything else. if you
want climbing vines put them on their own supports.
this way if you need to electrify (for fending off
raccoons, possums, ...) it is easier to manage.

songbird
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
No doubt this works but an electric fence isn't required for rabbits alone
as they don't climb.

they can climb a short distance, if you get
rabbit fencing it often isn't quite high enough.
our fence here is too short and they do climb
through it at times (grr!). you are better
off getting small mesh fencing that goes up at
least four feet. if you have other critters
to protect against it is better to do the whole
thing right from the start.

songbird
Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/10/2014 03:18 PM, songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:

[...]

Hi Songbird,

Thank you!

I sprayed yesterday with Walmart brand 89 cent per
bottle, Louisiana Hot Sauce. Tuesday with Cayenne
powder.

Since popping the little critter with high pressure water
on Saturday, I haven't seen him since (I check with a
flashlight about 12:00 midnight). No scat either.

I am not looking forward to a fence. Hopefully ...

By the way, deer around there parts can jump over an
eight foot fence like it was nothing. You have to build
a "cage" around your stuff. Fortunately, no deer around
my neighborhood.

-T

Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:37:22 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 07/09/2014 10:54 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Two things: Do not buy from Walmart, which cruelly exploits is worker.

Hi Higgs,

"Cruelly exploit". You are kidding? No one is forcing them

to work there. They are not slaves. This is just mud slinging

because they are a non-union shop. Lots of places pay crappy

wages. If they are a union shop, you don't hear about it.

No one is forcing anyone to work those places either.

You don't know anything about Walmart's history with its workers. There's is ample material available, including books by writers who worked there - openly under their own names -- and reported the conditions.

You also don't know anything about the poverty in the areas where Walmart chooses to locate, where there are literally no other job options available.

I wish for you some day to be in the position of these exploited people. Let's see how arrogant you will be then!

HB

Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/11/2014 03:21 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
You don't know anything about Walmart's history with its workers. There's is ample material available, including books by writers who worked there - openly under their own names -- and reported the conditions.

You also don't know anything about the poverty in the areas where Walmart chooses to locate, where there are literally no other job options available.

I wish for you some day to be in the position of these exploited people. Let's see how arrogant you will be then!

As I said, lots of others pay crappy wages. Walmart catches
this kind of slur as they are non-union. No one forces anyone
to work there. Whether you like it or not, Walmart employees
and all they other folks working low pay jobs are exchanging
in a voluntary exchange of good and services between consenting
parties. You are missing the "consent" part. And I have to
give these people their due. They could be sucking off the
public tit instead of working for a living.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/11/2014 7:37 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

HB never misses an opportunity to throw in his leftist politics.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/11/2014 04:56 PM, Frank wrote:
On 7/11/2014 7:37 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

And you can't help like the guy despite it too. Leftists are
not much into the open exchange of ideas now-a-days. In
my childhood, they use to love debate. Not anymore. And
open debate is necessary for a republic to survive. Higgs
will let you discuss alternate opinion to an extent. Better
than most. Most just start flinging names, meaning they don't
got nothing and they just lost the debate. Higgs is a good
sport most of the time.

Yesterday, I introduced the cute little fellow (the Wabbit, not
Higgs) to Walmart's own, 89 cent per bottle, Louisiana Hot Sauce.
Cheapest one I could find. (It smells bad too. I'd never
put it on food.) Hit him with cayenne powder on Tuesday. No
sign of the wabbit so far.

I bought it from a friendly employee at Walmart who had
voluntarily accepted work at Walmart, rather than sucking
off the public tit.

Walmart is a great place for those with no work experience
and no skills to start working their way up. It is also
great for retirees that need to kill some time and/or
supplement their income. Someone told me off the record
at the local Walmart that they are having trouble finding
employees that will pass the drug test.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, July 11, 2014 4:56:45 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 7/11/2014 7:37 PM, Todd wrote:

[...]

Now we learn that paying workers a decent wage rather than exploiting people who have no alternative is "leftist politics".

You learn something new every day!

What's NOT new is that some people think they are better than their fellows.
Almost makes you wish there was some being Up There handing out justice.

HB

HB

Old 12-07-2014, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/11/2014 07:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Now we learn that paying workers a decent wage rather than exploiting people who have no alternative is "leftist politics".

You learn something new every day!

What's NOT new is that some people think they are better than their fellows.
Almost makes you wish there was some being Up There handing out justice.

You get paid what the market will bear. And you only seem to
care if the shop is non-union. And, yes it is "leftist politics".
You are told who to hate. And it really doesn't matter what
they pay. Just who is and who isn't union. And no one thinks
they are better than anyone else, that is just more slurs.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/11/2014 7:37 PM, Todd wrote:

[...]

Right, God made me better than most and I took advantage of it. It was
not my fault.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/12/2014 12:58 AM, Todd wrote:
On 07/11/2014 07:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Now we learn that paying workers a decent wage rather than exploiting
people who have no alternative is "leftist politics".

You learn something new every day!

What's NOT new is that some people think they are better than their
fellows.
Almost makes you wish there was some being Up There handing out justice.

You get paid what the market will bear. And you only seem to
care if the shop is non-union. And, yes it is "leftist politics".
You are told who to hate. And it really doesn't matter what
they pay. Just who is and who isn't union. And no one thinks
they are better than anyone else, that is just more slurs.

HB's bunnies are welcome to share his carrots equally even though they
had nothing to do with their production
Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

You also don't know anything about the poverty in the areas where
Walmart chooses to locate, where there are literally no other job
options available.

That's like saying that Amazon is located on the net because all users
are dirt poor. Walmart stores are located in neighborhoods of all
socieo economic levels but mostly affluent... if the Walmart where you
live is located in a ghetto what does that say about you? It's no
coincidence that the Walmart bashers are typically at the lowest
socieo economic level. Obviously you've no marketable skills, and it
shows from reading your posts, it's highly unlikely that you finished
high school. There are three Super Walmarts that I shop in the area
where I live, all in very affluent NY Capitol district hoods... in
fact the largest Walmart in the US is located in a very affluent
section of Albany. Several of my neighbors work for Walmart, all very
well paid and happy with their job... maybe you and your ilk are of
the mind set that all Walmart employees stock grocery shelves, nothing
is further from the truth, most of their employees are in management
positions, many hold highly technical positions... Walmart pays its
accountants, IT people, buyers, marketing people, building maintenance
staff, etc. as well as any comparable company and usually better.
People with your attitude feel the way you do because you aren't
qualified to stock Walmart's shelves. I also know people who think
like you, they or someone in their family was fired from Walmart for
stealing and/or drugging. Walmart has a very strict policy regarding
stealing and drugging, one offence and you're gone. Walmart also does
not tolerate poor attendance, if you don't show or are late you had
better have a good reason. I've even ran into folks shopping at
Walmart who have told me that they hate Walmart, that they'd never
shop there... and there they are with a full cart of groceries. I
like Walmart, simply because I like paying less. However their stores
are also spacious, scrupulously clean, there's lots of parking, their
staff is helpful and polite, and they sell the same exact products as
everywhere else only at lower prices... the bottle of Heinz ketchup at
Walmart is precisely the same as from any other store, only it costs
significantly less. Why don't you apply for a job at Walmart, I'd be
curious to know if they'd hire you to mop their toilets.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/12/2014 1:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

I gather HB lives in the land of the fruits and the nuts - not the real
world.

I find local Walmart a great place to shop with good prices and friendly
help.

Walmart also goes through extra pains to make sure it sells decent
products. I've done some work for a couple of vendors wanting to sell
there and know this as Walmart required information on the products that
other stores didn't.