Old 14-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Registered User

Default How to make the card waterproof?

Hi,

I am growing a little fruit tree in my garden and would like to bind a paper card to the tree. My problem is how to make the card waterproof?

Thanks alot for your advice.

Old 14-08-2016, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Markjump wrote:

I am growing a little fruit tree in my garden and would like to bind a
paper card to the tree. My problem is how to make the card waterproof?
Thanks alot for your advice.

Tell us about your tree, what kind of fruit tree, approximately how
old? Assuming a tag to ID your tree this may be just what you're
looking for:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/pa...04,53211,10459

BTW, "alot" is not a word, I think you meant a lot, two words.

Old 15-08-2016, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/14/2016 12:09 PM, Markjump wrote:
Hi,

I am growing a little fruit tree in my garden and would like to bind a
paper card to the tree. My problem is how to make the card waterproof?

Thanks alot for your advice.

Two suggestions:

1. Do not use paper. Use aluminum (aluminium?) foil. Place it over a
magazine or newspaper and use a dull pencil to write on it. Be careful
not to pierce the foil. You might want to fold a larger piece of foil
in half to get a thicker medium.

2. Use paper incscribed with a black, broad-pointed pen. When your
writing is quite dry, you will need a cloths iron. Place several
thicknesses of newspaper on an ironing board. Place a sheet of waxed
paper on top. Place your inscribed paper on top of that. Complete the
sandwich with more waxed paper and then severl thicknesses of newspaper.
Iron the sandwich with a very hot iron. The wax will melt and
penetrate your inscribed paper, making it waterproof. The newspaper is
to prevent the wax from melting into the cover of the ironing board or
from fouling the working surface of the cloths iron. (However, my
mother would occasionally run her cloths iron directly over waxed paper
while the iron was cold; she said it was to improve how the iron would
glide over the clothing she was ironing.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-08-2016, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Markjump wrote:

Hi,

I am growing a little fruit tree in my garden and would like to bind a
paper card to the tree. My problem is how to make the card waterproof?

Thanks alot for your advice.

how long does it have to last?

plastics degrade in sunlight, metals rust or
oxidize, stones get acid etched or freeze-thaw
cracked, wood rots...

carved in a good quality stone or etched in
something gold plated would be the longest
lasting.

it is much better to put a number on a drawing
and keep the drawing/maps inside and then keep
the label in a laminated page or pasted to the
page.

songbird

Old 15-08-2016, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Markjump wrote:

I am growing a little fruit tree in my garden and would like to bind a
paper card to the tree. My problem is how to make the card waterproof?

Unless you're operating an arbortorium for public display why do you
need to label one little fruit tree? I've planted more than fifty
different trees on my property and need no labels to remind me what
tree it is. However I keep a journal with the Latin and common names,
where each tree was obtained, cost if any, the date I planted it, any
notes, and I photograph each tree, the day planted, when in blossom,
when in full leaf,and when in fall color, fruit trees laden with fruit
and any other interesting situations such as covered with birds, snow,
frosted with ice... this way I have a visual record of each tree's
progress.

Old 15-08-2016, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/15/2016 10:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Unless you're operating an arbortorium for public display why do you
need to label one little fruit tree? I've planted more than fifty
different trees on my property and need no labels to remind me what
tree it is. However I keep a journal with the Latin and common names,
where each tree was obtained, cost if any, the date I planted it, any
notes, and I photograph each tree, the day planted, when in blossom,
when in full leaf,and when in fall color, fruit trees laden with fruit
and any other interesting situations such as covered with birds, snow,
frosted with ice... this way I have a visual record of each tree's
progress.

Why the lies Shelly?

You live in a public housing hovel.
Old 15-08-2016, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message ...
On 14/08/16 20:09, Markjump wrote:
Hi,

I am growing a little fruit tree in my garden and would like to bind a
paper card to the tree. My problem is how to make the card waterproof?

Thanks alot for your advice.

Laminator?

Ditto to that, if you already have a certain paper card you want to use. If the ink is not waterproof, use a color laser copy.

If you can use another material, hobby stores have really thin wood. Or if you want a rustic look, scrap wood. Burn the message with a soldering iron or wood-burning tool, then coat with a an outdoor clear coating.

Old 16-08-2016, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,alt.flame.niggers

Stagger Lee was thinking very hard :
On 8/15/2016 10:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Unless you're operating an arbortorium for public display why do you
need to label one little fruit tree? I've planted more than fifty
different trees on my property and need no labels to remind me what
tree it is. However I keep a journal with the Latin and common names,
where each tree was obtained, cost if any, the date I planted it, any
notes, and I photograph each tree, the day planted, when in blossom,
when in full leaf,and when in fall color, fruit trees laden with fruit
and any other interesting situations such as covered with birds, snow,
frosted with ice... this way I have a visual record of each tree's
progress.

Why the lies Shelly?

You live in a public housing hovel.

Brooklyn1 harvesting...

http://tinyurl.com/j4h2u9q

BwHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!
Old 16-08-2016, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,alt.flame.niggers

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Tarpaulin or pond liner as waterproof soup[_2_] United Kingdom 4 23-03-2009 12:22 PM
Waterproof furniture OhNo United Kingdom 3 09-07-2006 12:42 PM
Wind up solar powered waterproof radio Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 9 08-10-2004 06:59 PM
waterproof pot? Tara United Kingdom 9 02-05-2004 04:14 PM
Waterproof enclosures [250mm x 250mm x 150 or 200mm] Rich United Kingdom 9 27-04-2003 07:32 PM