Old 06-07-2003, 04:56 AM
zxcvbob

Default Can't find bT (or is it spelled Bt)

Loopers are eating holes in my cabbage, and I can't find Thurcide anywhere.
All I can find is Sevin, Bug-B-Gon, and Bayer Advanced Formula bug spray.
They look like synthetic pyretheroids (except for the Sevin). I don't
want to use that on a leaf crop.

Is Thurcide still being sold? I think I *might* have a 10 year old bottle
of the stuff under the sink that I havn't thrown away yet. Any chance it
would still be viable? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it if I can find
the bottle.

regards,
Bob

Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Penny Morgan

I know it comes in a liquid form, but they also sell Bt (Dipel Dust) in a
powder form. I usually buy mine in any hardware store or garden center.
Check with your local Ace Hardware or privately owned store. They should
carry both liquid and powder. Plant nurseries or garden centers also carry
it. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:54:06 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Loopers are eating holes in my cabbage, and I can't find Thurcide anywhere.
All I can find is Sevin, Bug-B-Gon, and Bayer Advanced Formula bug spray.
They look like synthetic pyretheroids (except for the Sevin). I don't
want to use that on a leaf crop.

Is Thurcide still being sold? I think I *might* have a 10 year old bottle
of the stuff under the sink that I havn't thrown away yet. Any chance it
would still be viable? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it if I can find
the bottle.

Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) comes in many flavors. See:

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/bi.../bacteria.html

Looks like var. kurstaki is what you're after. And it appears Dipel is
a commercial product. One reference lists it as a synonym for
Thurcide.

Sevin is bad. It kills indescriminately -- butterflies, bees,
whatever.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Tom Jaszewski

wrote:

Loopers are eating holes in my cabbage, and I can't find Thurcide anywhere.
All I can find is Sevin, Bug-B-Gon, and Bayer Advanced Formula bug spray.
They look like synthetic pyretheroids (except for the Sevin). I don't
want to use that on a leaf crop.

Is Thurcide still being sold? I think I *might* have a 10 year old bottle
of the stuff under the sink that I havn't thrown away yet. Any chance it
would still be viable? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it if I can find
the bottle.

regards,
Bob

It's likely your thucide is not active.
http://www.groworganic.com/a/item_PBI265_DipelDFlb.html

"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets,
but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how.
To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet;
one need only own a good shovel. By virtue of this curious loophole in
the rules, any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree--and there will
be one"

Aldo Leopold

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM

it is bacteria and while dry stuff may still be viable, the liquid stuff is unlikely.
Ingrid

zxcvbob wrote:
Is Thurcide still being sold? I think I *might* have a 10 year old bottle
of the stuff under the sink that I havn't thrown away yet. Any chance it
would still be viable?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
animaux

It's not always readily available in the liquid form, but even Lowes and Home
Depot sell the powdered form of Bt-K, which is aka Dipel Dust.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:08 AM
zxcvbob

Penny Morgan wrote:

I know it comes in a liquid form, but they also sell Bt (Dipel Dust) in a
powder form. I usually buy mine in any hardware store or garden center.
Check with your local Ace Hardware or privately owned store. They should
carry both liquid and powder. Plant nurseries or garden centers also carry
it. Good luck.

I just got back from Ace hardware, and they don't have it. Wal-mart and
Fleet Farm don't have it. Everyone sells the same Ortho products, although
Ace also has the same thing with their own label.

I don't think there are any nurseries left. The last good one closed a
couple of years ago when their parent company was bought out by F&G's,
a.k.a. "Michigan Bulb" just before they went under. The other garden
center was taken over by a florist, and mainly just sells cut flowers and
mylar balloons and Beanie Babies now.

I may have to try the farm coop in the next town. This really should be
this hard to do...

Best regards,
Bob

Old 07-07-2003, 02:10 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:20:09 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I may have to try the farm coop in the next town. This really should be
this hard to do...

Best regards,
Bob

Why not buy online and get it in 3-4 days?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 AM
animaux

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:20:09 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

I just got back from Ace hardware, and they don't have it. Wal-mart and
Fleet Farm don't have it. Everyone sells the same Ortho products, although
Ace also has the same thing with their own label.

I don't think there are any nurseries left. The last good one closed a
couple of years ago when their parent company was bought out by F&G's,
a.k.a. "Michigan Bulb" just before they went under. The other garden
center was taken over by a florist, and mainly just sells cut flowers and
mylar balloons and Beanie Babies now.

I may have to try the farm coop in the next town. This really should be
this hard to do...

Best regards,
Bob

Gee, I can go buy you a can and mail it out! I think it's about four dollars
for a can of the powder, a bit more for the liquid.

Old 08-07-2003, 04:08 AM
zxcvbob

animaux wrote:
[...]

I found some today and sprayed the cabbage when I got home. Menards (a
local building supply place kind of like Lowes) had one bottle of the
liquid. But thanks for the offer :-)

Bob