Old 13-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Greg

Default Hauling Uphill

Hi. We'll be cutting down trees, removing overgrown brush, etc. from
about 4000 sq. ft. of our downsloping lot. I've rented a large green
waste container, but can anyone suggest an efficient, cost-effective
way to get the stuff we cut uphill to the container at street level.
It's not possible to get any type of vehicle behind our house.

Right now, we're just thinking of putting as much as we can in either
boxes or heavy duty plastic bags, and having two people carry one of
these up, then repeat (and repeat...) I'll have two other guys
helping me. Thanks for any help.
Old 13-09-2003, 09:32 PM
David J Bockman

For close to the cost of the container, you could rent a heavy duty
chipper/shredder that can handle everything up to a foot or more in
diameter... all that organic material would make great soil amendments. )

If any of the larger trees are hardwoods, consider putting up a sign for
free firewood.

Dave

om...

Old 13-09-2003, 10:02 PM
James Barley

My son and I hauled a lot of big maple turning blocks up a steep and very
rough incline using the following method.
He cobbled together what oldtimers know as a stone bolt, a rather crude and
heavy sled.
Then using a snatch block at the top of the grade, passed the towline from
the sled through the block and tied it off to the front bumper of my truck,
then with him guiding the sled, and me backing my truck we successfully
hauled load after load up that grade.
Worked well for us, might be worth a thought if you have a lot to move.

James Barley.
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley

om...

Old 13-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Jim M

Hi Greg,
Some useful information would be to know the relation of the lot being
cleared to the house and to the road or wherever you plan to use a hauling
out point. I do know you said no vehicle. I'm assuming you are either
thinking a traditional vehicle like a truck/car/suv, or that its very very
steep. How far in distance does the wood have to be hauled etc... If two
guys can carry a box up this incline, it can't be that steep else they would
loose their footing trying to maintain balance with the load and walk
uphill.
A year ago, my friend and I used my 4wd ATV to haul wood out of a
gulley. We had to cut the wood down in size to fit the 4 wheeler, but it
worked. They can climb some amazing stuff when you know how.
Another method would be like James Barley described.
Another method of block and tackle if its very steep is a outrigger or
boom. At the top of your hill put in a 8 x8 post and rig up a boom to it
with a block and tackle. Then using ropes you can hoist the load up and
swing it over at the top. This would be for a very sheer incline though.

om...

Old 14-09-2003, 01:22 AM
George

Stone boat, sledge, or what most of the old-timers hereabout used - hood of
a full-sized automobile. Drag by the method of your choice, but if
human-powered, get some mechanical advantage to help.

. ca...

Old 14-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Travis Mahone

Hi Greg
If you don't own one, rent or borrow a pickup with a winch on it. Pull out
the steel cable and loop it around a section of the underbrush you want to
clear. Take the hook end and hook it back on the steel cable so that it
will close the loop when you start the winch. As the loop closes on the
underbrush, ii will began to bunch the undergrowth together, cut anything
that the winch won't pull up. When the loop closes, it will hold the
encircled underbrush enough to pull it up your hill. I have used this
method to clear right of way along side highways. Hope this helps.
Travis
om...

Old 14-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Travis Mahone" wrote: If you don't own one, rent
or borrow a pickup with a winch on it
^^^^^^^^^^^^
That will work. We once had to pull a 360 Yamaha dirt bike out of a ravine.
A kind soul happened along in a Jeep with a winch on the front, and made an
impossible task easy. The slope was so steep that the bike went over the
side, dropped about 30 feet, and landed in the branches of a tree. (It was
undamaged. The rider dismounted as it left the trail, so he was undamaged
also.)

Look for a friend who is into 4-wheeling, and chances are you will be able
to work a deal.

Old 14-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Derek Hartzell

For hauling heavy loads in a wheelbarrow, like the wood part of the debris,
you can use two people. The front person slings a rope loop around the
wheel brace and pulls and the rear person uses the wheelbarrow normally. I
used this method for hauling concrete up a slope.

Derek

om...

Old 14-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Other Brother Kevin

Greg wrote:

Hi. We'll be cutting down trees, removing overgrown brush, etc. from
about 4000 sq. ft. of our downsloping lot. I've rented a large green
waste container, but can anyone suggest an efficient, cost-effective
way to get the stuff we cut uphill to the container at street level.
It's not possible to get any type of vehicle behind our house.

Right now, we're just thinking of putting as much as we can in either
boxes or heavy duty plastic bags, and having two people carry one of
these up, then repeat (and repeat...) I'll have two other guys
helping me. Thanks for any help.

I like the idea of the chipper, why haul it out. You could lower the
chipper down there for the small stuff.

For the large stuff that won't chip how about a "FREE WOOD" sign

Kevin

Old 14-09-2003, 02:02 PM
DJ Delorie

I don't know where you live, but around here we use draft horses for
that.

Otherwise, rent a Bobcat front-end loader and use it as a portable
bucket.
Old 14-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Grandpa

Looks like you have a number of good replies. For the lighter stuff,
maybe chips or whatever, a good tarp with a pile of the stuff on it and
a couple small ropes would move it uphill with 2 people fairly easy.

Old 14-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Henry Doolittle

Have you ever wondered what happens to those people who are given community
service by the state. This sounds like a good job for those who need to pay
back their dept to society. Most Boy Scout troops are looking for good
community service projects. Invite friends over for a good old fashion barn
raising and pot luck. Get your friends, family, neighbors, and community
involved. One of them will look over the edge and say "we had this problem
back in 07" and while he is talking the rest will get the job done.

Henry

om...

Old 14-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Nova

Henry Doolittle wrote:

Have you ever wondered what happens to those people who are given community
service by the state. This sounds like a good job for those who need to pay
back their dept to society. Most Boy Scout troops are looking for good
community service projects. Invite friends over for a good old fashion barn
raising and pot luck. Get your friends, family, neighbors, and community
involved. One of them will look over the edge and say "we had this problem
back in 07" and while he is talking the rest will get the job done.

Henry

I doubt if the the state or the Boy Scouts would consider clearing brush from
private property "community service".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Old 14-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Leif Thorvaldson

Another possibility is to check with the coach of the local H.S. football
team and ask him if he'd like a good workout spot for his team! *G*

Leif
"Henry Doolittle" wrote in message
Have you ever wondered what happens to those people who are given

community
service by the state. This sounds like a good job for those who need to

pay
back their dept to society. Most Boy Scout troops are looking for good
community service projects. Invite friends over for a good old fashion

barn
raising and pot luck. Get your friends, family, neighbors, and community
involved. One of them will look over the edge and say "we had this

problem
back in 07" and while he is talking the rest will get the job done.

Henry

om...