Old 15-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Purple Linny

Default Prickly pear: What's the law?

Hello ppls,

I would like to start a cactus garden and wondered what the law says
regarding taking prickly pear from the side of the road or wherever. I
live in Texas. It's not that I begrudge paying for it - it's cheap
enough. I bought an unpotted aloe for 99c on the way back from Mexico
one time and it has opened out and grown into a stunning plant.

Anyway, I figured if I could legally take some, then I would.
If not, I won't!
I've searched the net and found virtualy nothing.
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
--
Lynda
Old 15-11-2003, 03:02 AM
billy_bunter

Purple Linny spluttered almost incoherently...:

Hello ppls,

I would like to start a cactus garden and wondered what the law says
regarding taking prickly pear from the side of the road or wherever. I
live in Texas. It's not that I begrudge paying for it - it's cheap
enough. I bought an unpotted aloe for 99c on the way back from Mexico
one time and it has opened out and grown into a stunning plant.

Anyway, I figured if I could legally take some, then I would.
If not, I won't!
I've searched the net and found virtualy nothing.
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

It is indeed illegal under state laws in Texas, and quite expensive. If You
wanted to take it out of someone's yard it wouldn't be a problem (unless
the owner of the land objects!). Take it from the wild and the fine is
about $500.....
Old 15-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Purple Linny LeCompte

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:44:41 GMT, billy_bunter wrote:
It is indeed illegal under state laws in Texas, and quite expensive. If
You
wanted to take it out of someone's yard it wouldn't be a problem (unless
the owner of the land objects!). Take it from the wild and the fine is
about $500.....

Aha. Kind of what I figured. I knew there were wild flower laws...

Off to the shops I go.
Thanks for the info.

btw, I'll be lurking around. Will be moving to a house with the garden of
my dreams soon, after living in an apartment since May when I landed on
these shores from England. I'm so excited... even bought a Texas Gardener!
--
Lynda
Old 15-11-2003, 08:22 PM
animaux

It's always illegal to take plants without permission. However, since this
particular plant is everywhere in Texas, I don't think anyone would mind if you
took some...way back in some field. Please do remember that this plant has
billions of very sharp, very invasive to the skin and body, PRICKS! One time I
didn't do it carefully and I had these cactus pricks in my bra, and everywhere
on my body. I have no idea how it happened, but it did.

I just went out and bought mine. I forget the variety, but mine has a pink
tinge to the pads and a nice blue as well.

On 14 Nov 2003 17:51:44 -0800, (Purple Linny) opined:

Old 15-11-2003, 08:22 PM
animaux

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:44:47 GMT, Purple Linny LeCompte
opined:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:44:41 GMT, billy_bunter wrote:
It is indeed illegal under state laws in Texas, and quite expensive. If
You
wanted to take it out of someone's yard it wouldn't be a problem (unless
the owner of the land objects!). Take it from the wild and the fine is
about $500.....

Aha. Kind of what I figured. I knew there were wild flower laws...

Off to the shops I go.
Thanks for the info.

btw, I'll be lurking around. Will be moving to a house with the garden of
my dreams soon, after living in an apartment since May when I landed on
these shores from England. I'm so excited... even bought a Texas Gardener!

Where in Texas? We live in Round Rock.

Old 15-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Roy

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:44:41 GMT, billy_bunter wrote:

===Purple Linny spluttered almost incoherently...:
===
=== Hello ppls,
===
[...]

Most likely its illegal in most if not all states to remove natural
fauna without a permit. This includes non game animals birds reptiles
etc, as well as vegetation.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 15-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Purple Linny LeCompte

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:13:08 GMT, animaux wrote:

Where in Texas? We live in Round Rock.

Pearland - about 15m south of Houston.
Hubby tells me RR is near Austin?
--
Lynda
Old 15-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Purple Linny LeCompte

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:12:21 GMT, animaux wrote:

It's always illegal to take plants without permission. However, since
this
particular plant is everywhere in Texas, I don't think anyone would mind
if you
took some...way back in some field.

Hmm... sounds like an adventure.
Depends on my conscience at the time ;-)

Please do remember that this plant has
billions of very sharp, very invasive to the skin and body, PRICKS! One
time I
didn't do it carefully and I had these cactus pricks in my bra, and
everywhere
on my body. I have no idea how it happened, but it did.

Ouch! The mind boggles. Yep, some heavy duty gloves and all over protection
will be in order... even if I just buy one. I want to get some large cacti
as centrepieces in my display and then concentrate on growing and nurturing
the smaller ones on the outskirts.

I just went out and bought mine. I forget the variety, but mine has a
pink
tinge to the pads and a nice blue as well.

Sounds purdy.
Thanks for the advice.
--
Lynda
Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 AM
zxcvbob

billy_bunter wrote:

[...]

Are you sure about that? I thought prickly pear was considered an invasive
weed.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 16-11-2003, 03:02 AM
animaux

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:47:24 GMT, Purple Linny LeCompte
opined:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:13:08 GMT, animaux wrote:

Where in Texas? We live in Round Rock.

Pearland - about 15m south of Houston.
Hubby tells me RR is near Austin?

Yes, it's about a 15 minute drive to dead center of downtown Austin. Round Rock
is Dell Inc. headquarters.

Old 16-11-2003, 03:02 AM
animaux

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:53:45 GMT, Purple Linny LeCompte
opined:

Sounds purdy.
Thanks for the advice.

I removed a few pads a month ago to make more plants. I can send a pad to you.
They are very easy to get going. Let me know. My email address is
0 and remove the zero at the end or it will bounce.

Victoria
Old 16-11-2003, 03:02 AM
animaux

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:28:44 -0600, zxcvbob opined:

Are you sure about that? I thought prickly pear was considered an invasive
weed.

Best regards,
Bob

You could have a hundred acres of invasive weeds. It is still illegal to dig up
anything from any land without permission.
Old 16-11-2003, 03:22 AM
hermine stover

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:53:26 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:47:24 GMT, Purple Linny LeCompte
opined:

Yes, it's about a 15 minute drive to dead center of downtown Austin. Round Rock
is Dell Inc. headquarters.

So you must have a chance to drop into The Broken Spoke, to check out
Alvin Crow!
listen, where i live a wide range of Opuntias have naturalized, their
pads fall off, get knocked off by people, cars, whatever. the taking
of a propagation piece, for they do root easilly...why do you not call
the local department of agriculture and ask? i have harvested all
kinds of opuntias to send to folks, i just asked the person living in
the vicinity of their growing, if i could take one or two pads. I have
also rooted them from the supermarket! Ask first. for a while, and
this may not be so now, all catcus were on some appendix one or two of
the Endangered Species list. in truth, MANY of them are truly
endangered, but i doubt if prickly pear is one of them.

in our deranged times, it is not the criminal who goes to jail, it is
the harmless person taking a small piece of a plant, to no detriment
to that plant.... be on the safe side.

hermine
Old 16-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Purple Linny LeCompte

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:55:19 GMT, animaux wrote:
I removed a few pads a month ago to make more plants. I can send a pad
to you.
They are very easy to get going. Let me know. My email address is
0 and remove the zero at the end or it will bounce.

Oh wow! That would be fantastic - thank you so much.
/runs off to send e-mail...
:-)
--
Lynda
Old 16-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Starlord

heck, all they need to do is drive around until they find someone who has a big
buch going and ask them if they could remove a branch from one of the plants.
Tank it home and throw it on the ground, cover end with a little soil and give
some water. it'll grow. We thined out a stand of them and dumped the reamins out
in the field, so care what so ever, not there's a 3ft tall stand of them growing
and we do nothing to them.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

[IMG] code is On

Prickly pear: What's the law? figaro Gardening 0 16-11-2003 01:22 AM
Prickly Pear Cactus Steve Coyle Texas 8 05-06-2003 09:13 AM
Prickly Pear cactus Jim North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:32 PM
Anybody want a prickly pear cactus? Callen Molenda Gardening 2 06-04-2003 10:08 PM
Question for Cereoid+ Prickly Pear Callen Molenda Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:44 AM