Old 18-01-2004, 06:42 AM
mmarteen

Default New show on PBS, P. Allen Smith?

I noticed a new gardening show, P. Allen Smith garden on PBS and it also
seems to be in syndication on an abc affiliate here in the twin cities. So
far, the shows seem to focus on classic garden design in the most
traditional sense. The guy looks sort of like the John Tesh of gardening,
but he has had a few good project suggestions and ideas so I will keep
watching. Better than watching reruns of Victory Garden, which has gotten
really pretty boring of late anyway.

mm

Old 18-01-2004, 03:12 PM
madgardener

the one I loved was the Perennial Gardener with a gray haired lady and it
seemed to come out of Minnesota or somewhere midwestern. We got it when
Direct TV provided random PBS links to the station. Now that the option is
gone, I am forced to get my local PBS which is fine most times, but haven't
had the privilege of seeing that neat show. I had to stop watching Victory
Garden for the first time in decades because I'm almost always scheduled to
work on Saturdays. It hasn't the same feel since Roger Swain left and
Russell Morash quit producing it. We won't get a flame started about Marion
and her cooking. It's been done adn I'm aware that not everyone liked
Marion. What I really miss is on Saturdays when I can't see Gardener's
Diary with Erica Glasner on HGTV. And since the new year, they've changed
the programming. Two Garden Guys which was rather unique, is no longer
airing. They've moved up the garden shows in time, and I still haven't seen
sign of rerunning Gardener's Diary for people who miss it's first run
Saturdays. That it's repeats is fine for now, I've missed a lot of them over
the last season due to my schedule, but that it's now airing at 1:30 instead
of 3:30 is a bit of a stretch for me. I'll adjust somehow.

With Squire gone on the road now, there won't be thoughtful reecordings of
it for me when I get home on Saturdays. And oldest son doesn't always pay
attention to the clock when he's plugged in upstairs on the computer.

and I still wish Barbara Damrosch and her husband, Elliot Coleman would
produce another "Gardening Naturally" show. It's more revelent now than it
ever was. I watched it regularly on Discovery when it ran for those two or
three years. .It was one of the best put out besides the Victory Garden at
that time. Another good one was Backyard Gardening but Pat Simpson now has
moved on and has a show on HGTV about Before and After. He used to be the
projects guy for garden things on that show. Don't know what happened to the
host of that show either. They come and go......

So I stick to Gardening by the yard when I remember it's airing early.
Gardener's Diary which is my absolute favorite now, and keep hoping they
bring back Gardener's Journal which was the Canadian show that was awesome
too. That one kinda slipped away last year on HGTV. PBS needs to take
stock that there are still gardeners out there needing uninterrupted quality
garden shows on the weekend! (I'd even watch on Sunday! It's bad enough
they rerun Lawrence Welk here on our PBS every Saturday evening......)
madgardener up on the very foggy ridge, back in Fairy Holler, unable to see
English Mountain as it's socked in with clouds and fog, in Eastern
TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 18-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Salty Thumb

You should have your own show MG, how cool would that be?

Old 18-01-2004, 09:33 PM
animaux

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:06:14 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

I also really liked the older couple from Michigan (I think). They could be
such a hoot!

Those were the elderly couple from Watertown, NY. I think they were Brits. I
don't imagine they are on any more. They were in their 80s 17 years ago! They
always tripped over the dogs. I loved them.

Old 19-01-2004, 07:32 AM
mmarteen

Yeah I was happy to have the gardener's journal back even if in reruns.
It's such a great visual show that it is fun to see it again. Cathy Renwald
is great at pointing out the little treasures here and there in the
perennial border. Last year, I tried Angelica Gigas, although I planted it
too late and hope for better luck from a wintered over plant I saved from
last year. This year I am trying wild indigo (baptisia) thanks to the show.

mm

"RichardB" wrote in message
In article , says...

[...]

So I stick to Gardening by the yard when I remember it's airing early.
Gardener's Diary which is my absolute favorite now, and keep hoping they
bring back Gardener's Journal which was the Canadian show that was

awesome
too. That one kinda slipped away last year on HGTV.

Gardener's Diary is my favorite too, and has been for some time. I missed

it
last weekend because I hadn't noticed the time change but got it yesterday

(I
always tape it and watch it later). Gardener's Journal is now being shown

at 7
AM Monday through Friday. They're all repeats I think, but it's nice to

have
the program available again.

Richard in Northern California

Old 19-01-2004, 03:02 PM
animaux

What I don't understand is how they think these generic shows will fit anywhere
but California, Atlanta or Canada. I know those are highly populated regions,
but there's a whole continent North America!

I'd love if they would have shows more specific for more selections of zones and
regions.

I don't mind the make-over garden shows, but when you hear, "she only has a
$20,000 dollar budget..." I want to puke. Shit, if I spent that much in my
backyard I'd have the Taj Mahal! It always seems that what these people get for
their money is sparse, at best.

I'm glad I'm a gardener and still young enough to do a lot of the work, myself.

Victoria

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:07:53 GMT, "D Kat" opined:

Gardener's Journal and Gardener's Diary were also my favorite shows. Back
when HGTV first started it had a lot of garden shows but then they seemed to
be entirely taken over by southern tacky decoration and crafts shows. Now I
rarely find either showing when I can watch them. DKat
"RichardB" wrote in message
In article , says...

[...]

Old 19-01-2004, 03:12 PM
animaux

[...]

"RichardB" wrote in message
In article , says...

[...]

Old 19-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Vox Humana

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
You should have your own show MG, how cool would that be?

I wouldn't want the job of editing that script down to 60 minutes!

Old 19-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Vox Humana

"animaux" wrote in message
What I don't understand is how they think these generic shows will fit

anywhere
but California, Atlanta or Canada. I know those are highly populated

regions,
but there's a whole continent North America!

I'd love if they would have shows more specific for more selections of

zones and
regions.

I don't mind the make-over garden shows, but when you hear, "she only has

$20,000 dollar budget..." I want to puke.

.... and how many times do these people pick the WORST of the three designs
on that "Landscaper's Challenge" show on HGTV?

Old 19-01-2004, 04:42 PM
D Kat

The Canada shows work well for much of the northeast and some for the
northwest but the southern shows really are only useful for a small part of
the south. The Southwest is not shown at all and that is where you really
need a good show to point out how to grow plants in an arid climate. I
can't believe that places like Phenoix REQUIRE that you have grass in your
front yard. That may have changed but that was how it was at one time.

And I agree that the budgets for the make-over shows are unbelievable. It
is possible that I have spent that much my entirely life (55 years) but I
have a hard time believing it. Some of my favorite plants are those I
rescued from the street where people had dug them up and thrown them away.
My best trees are those that came up from seed and that I transplanted when
there were no more than a foot tall or just let them grow where they were.
My little white pine that I rescued from a neighbor when it was nothing more
than a candle now towers over the 5' white pines that I planted at the same
time. Our city now makes people cut up their yard waste before picking it up
so I have lost my source of rescue plants..... Such a waste and such a loss
of entertainment.

DKat

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

"RichardB" wrote in message